Focus Fanatics Forum banner

New OBX Exhaust on Ebay...

13K views 61 replies 23 participants last post by  danbfree 
#1 ·
Found this on ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-CAT-BAC...Parts_Accessories&hash=item27cf2ce3ff&vxp=mtr

Doesn't look bad, the ad says it's got crappy 2.2'' inlet piping, but the tips look nice, and the welds decent. Not a bad price for $434 shipped...I used to have the HKS style OBX on my ZX3, and it performed well (yes I know not many people on here liked the "fart can" style [limp])

I'm probably not going to get this exhaust, but I guess I'm a little excited that another company is making parts, albeit crappy ones, for our cars. I wish we could get some other higher brand name companies on board...

So...who's gonna be the first to try this one out? [???:)]

Emanuel

#2 ·
Not bad at all. I'm currently waiting on my income tax refund to get the muffle I've been keeping my eyes on. I currently have the exhaust straight piped for an easy fix when every thing was rusted, and the muffler had a few holes on it.

I hate it, it's so loud, and embarrassing. When I turn at an intersection people that has mustangs, and corvettes rev their V8 cars when they hear me. Makes me feel like a ricer. LOL.

I'm going to get an off brand twin loop muffler with a resonator pipe. I've heard them, and they sound so much better than the brand names.

#3 ·
I wouldn't count on any tax refunds this year, but even so unless that's an OBX official ebay store it seems likely that someone is either lying, or passing off an older focus exhaust for a 2012+ since the official OBX racing website says they don't make anything for the new Focus.

#4 ·
They could not be trying to pass this off as an older system because the pictures to she the system including the laterally positioned muffler out back which only fits a 2012+.

I think the reason it is so cheap is because u get what u pay for. If you notice, this system is basic 2.2" piping from the cat back, eliminating our stock "mid muffler" and our resonator. Other systems replace at least the resonator with they're own to fine tune performance/exhaust note, and they include at least 2.5" piping.

Can someone please post a sound clip of the OBX cat back.

#7 ·
Looks like a copy of the FRPP exhaust which is also 2.25'" and without a tuning option for our cars, or a header installation along with the exhaust, I question that there is any disadvantage to a 2.25" exhaust as compared to a 2.5" exhaust on our mostly stock engines.

For that kind of price it would be nice to see someone try it.

#8 ·
And why call them crappy just because they are priced low. They may be made in China or something, and yes it would be better to support an American vendor, but if you are poor (because our wonderful government makes us that way) then I say go for it.

I have used their stuff before with NO problems at all. Just be realistic and work within your means. We do what we have to do.

#10 ·
OBX really stepped up their game. The welds on my 4-2-1 header, OBX-R exhaust and Turbo manifold are exceptional.

'Nuff said.

#12 ·
OBX may not have this listed on their main website but that doesn't mean it isn't OBX either. Their website may still need to be updated. But in all the years I have been seeing OBX product, they have come a long way but still aren't where they need to be. Yes they are priced cheaply because they cut corners on their materials.

The piping may be 304 stainless but it is much thinner gauge than what other systems offer. Their welds are cheaply done also, most of the OBX systems I have seen fail over the years mostly fall apart at the welds. That is because they use a mild steel weld instead of a proper stainless steel weld. As someone else had stated, there is a lot of slag on the inside of the welds. I understand people are on a budget sometimes and want to have something rather than nothing. But you can always look around and buy something used for less than the price you would buy an OBX new. Granted we are talking about the 2012+ cars and finding a used system will be difficult but it's possible.

Also, keep this thread on track gentlemen. No need to go off on tangents of who is poor and who is not and the reasons why.

Also to note, I just did some price comparisons. If I were to get the FSwerks stealth exhaust shipped to my house it would only be $560 for a better quality exhaust that has better reputation for fitment. All the OBX stuff I had seen over there years has always had fitment issues. Some where more severe than others but none of it has been direct hook up and go. Again, this is only my opinion as others may have had better results than I have seen, but I am just telling from my experience with it.

#19 ·
Yes they are priced cheaply because they cut corners on their materials.

The piping may be 304 stainless but it is much thinner gauge than what other systems offer. Their welds are cheaply done also, most of the OBX systems I have seen fail over the years mostly fall apart at the welds. That is because they use a mild steel weld instead of a proper stainless steel weld. As someone else had stated, there is a lot of slag on the inside of the welds.
Isn't it quite possible that labor is simply cheaper in China? I bought an American car and like to buy American when possible but you have to consider that aspect as well when people are indeed on a budget.

Also to note, I just did some price comparisons. If I were to get the FSwerks stealth exhaust shipped to my house it would only be $560 for a better quality exhaust that has better reputation for fitment. All the OBX stuff I had seen over there years has always had fitment issues. Some where more severe than others but none of it has been direct hook up and go. Again, this is only my opinion as others may have had better results than I have seen, but I am just telling from my experience with it.
The FSwerks has a 5 year warranty and the OBX is Lifetime, so which really is the better quality? To me that goes a long ways in which one is better backed if I DO have an issue when I spend $170 less for an exhaust system. I appreciate your opinion, but indeed it is merely just that, opinion. Honestly, I was going to consider the FSwerks but when they can't even back it past 5 years when a Chinese one can back theirs for life, well, I know where I'm spending my money now.

#13 ·
^^this^^

I've never had problems with OBX in the past for the header/exhaust combo I used to have on my ZX3 and it's nice to have another company produce something new for the MK3. That being said, I'm probably not going to buy the OBX, and I don't particularly car for any of the other catbacks for the MK3 on the market currently. It's going to be a custom exhaust for this guy complete with Borla mufflers and Titanium tips for the same price or less than the OBX.

Emanuel

#14 · (Edited)
Edit: I originally posted one based on what the thread starter said about eBay... Looks like the full 2.5" version (specifically for "4dr hatchback") is $393 including shipping HERE

On the other thread about it, someone says it looks like a Magnaflow clone... since OBX is a huge OEM supplier and others have good luck with the brand too, it seems like this is a good budget option that should be on the stickied mods thread.

#16 ·
... since OBX is a huge OEM supplier and others have good luck with the brand too, it seems like this is a good budget option that should be on the stickied mods thread.

What automotive manufacturers is OBX a supplier for? They are an aftermarket
"performance company."

Another consideration is what China calls 304 stainless steel will not have the same composition as ASM (American Society for Metals) 304 SS composition.

Steve

#18 ·
Haha This^ If anyone wants to buy this please be the person 400 in the hole. I say go custom or buy one of the known reputable systems on the market. Yes it is nice to see more parts on the market but if they're from a company who doesn't do good work then what's the point? I personally don't want anything of inferior quality on my car.

#31 ·
With any cheap exhaust system you get what you pay for, the fitment is always a little off and theres barely any packing in the mufflers making the car sound horrible.I bought a system for a 240sx i owned and was disappointed even with the 'silencer plug' installed and the ground clearance was terrible!

#32 ·
I will say that SUS304 seems to ONLY be an Asian composition as any site I've found for information has Asian references and I have not yet found a reference in American metallurgy sites. I have an ASM book (not to be confused with ASM International. I have no idea what the acronym stands for there as their site does not break it down.) at work and I can look in there tomorrow to see what it has to say. It will have 304 stainless listed in it, but I am not expecting to find the SUS prefix.

As for what you referenced as proof that OBX is an OEM supplier, you quoted a line from the description of a MAXIMIZER product, not OBX. To add to that, the validity of that statement is greatly in question because the Maximizer High Performance trademark was trademarked by Advance Manufacturing Group who abandoned the trademark in 2013. They had it for about a year. Sounds like it was a marketing ploy.

There is nothing on OBX's About US page at their website that says they are an OEM supplier.

I will say that I have seen OBX headers that have nice welds on them. Making things shiny (polishing) is also a Chinese trait. I wonder what the thickness of the tubes is, and how the composition of the metal will hold up to repeated heating and cooling as well as engine vibration and movement (rocking).

Steve

#37 ·
Thanks, Steve, I do appreciate the info! If SUS304 is only an Asian composition then who knows what means. I'll definitively have to consider that... I do appreciate they do have a lifetime warranty so it must be decent enough for a company to survive vs. if they had to constantly replace them.

Edit: I did notice some good info once I clicked over to "Detailed Description":
Features:

Resonated exhaust designed
Bolt-on installation
High performance exhaust system from OBX Racing Sports
Dual Tig welded for stronger hold
Mandrel Bend for smoother exhaust flow
T-304 stainless steel
OBX backed lifetime warranty against manufacturer defects
Geniune OBX product

#39 ·
If you can find current reviews that say that OBX is garbage, then I'd like to know and I'd appreciate the knowledge. Seriously, I do appreciate learning from you guys.
You can start by looking at the 8 complaints at the BBB. I would not put complete confidence in the BBB's "F" rating for OBX because OBX is not a BBB member and the BBB holds that against companies since they then don't have much info on other aspects of the company. On the other hand, OBX CHOOSES not to be a BBB member.

There are tons of threads on message boards complaining about OBX products. There are also plenty of threads on message boards from happy customers.

I have been working on cars for 35 years. I am also "cheap." I like to get a great deal, and I like to pay little for things. Having said that, I have done a lot of work over several times because of junk parts with this philosophy and have learned that the "value" is in buying quality stuff that I won't have to replace several times, or try to make work. Through this, I learned that I cannot afford cheap when it comes to car parts.

Everyone has heard many times "You get what you pay for." Well, the modern business model, from my experience, has changed this. It is now "You get what you pay for, if you're lucky."

Steve

#41 ·
Man, you make some very good points, and I absolutely know what you mean... I'm just thinking "How bad can a stainless exhaust system really be?" I spent almost $900 once on a cat back exhaust for my turbo AWD Eagle Talon and had to have some welds re-done... In this case, I'm thinking the muffler would probably be the weak point so if it sucked (even just sounded terrible), there goes my $170 savings... I just wish their was a legit review or or even an informal forum post from an actual owner of this exact system before I bought it, but there isn't and I'm not so sure that I want to be the guinea pig.

#40 ·
LOL, we do have to be careful with lifetime warranties. Companies used to be somewhat respectable. I don't see that anymore.

Here's a couple things to consider. Back in the 1990's Hyundai/Kia were cars of very questionable quality, owners had lots of trouble, and sales took a nose dive. Then Hyundai/KIA came out with the 10 year/100,000 mile warranty so that people would have confidence that IF they bought one of their cars the customer could at least take SOME comfort in knowing they at least won't have to pay for all the needed repairs. This did help sales and bought Hyundai/KIA more time to work on improving quality.

People keep their cars for 4-5 years, according to market surveys. When you buy something with a lifetime warranty the manufacturers are expecting you to get rid of your car in a few years. Since the new owner is NOT the original purchaser of the part the warranty is void and the manufacturer will NEVER have to honor it.

Steve

#42 ·
Since the new owner is NOT the original purchaser of the part the warranty is void and the manufacturer will NEVER have to honor it.
Thankfully Ford doesn't treat their 5/60 powertrain warranty this way... As the 2nd owner my '13 DCT went bad after only 18k total miles and 3 days and 150 miles of me owning it. Thankfully the Ford dealer took great care of me and even gave me a loaner even after I had bought it at a used lot! On Hyundai's/Kia's, their 10/100 drops to 5/60 on 2nd owner and NOTHING after that!

Thanks for all the input guys, you have been great and I appreciate it!

#43 ·
That was some thread, hahah. So has anyone actually installed an OBX cat back and put some miles on it?

#44 ·
talk to kaykay and the guys at rebeldevil. i believe they both have a obx on.

#48 ·
I believe it is 2.0"

#51 ·
review of the obx? There are not a lot of guys who have it installed. The ones on this forum who have seem to like it though. I plan on getting one in the near future.

#61 ·
This doesn't directly pertain to the focus, but......
In probably 2003 I had moved from rural Oregon to Phoenix. I was driving a 93 ranger at the time. It had the cats removed with a full exhaust. Needless to say it doesn't pass emissions. All I did was add an inline cat as close to the manifolds as possible and it passed emissions.

That is going to be my plan is to bolt a cat as close to the header as possible. I'm not planning on moving either O2 sensor though, but I also have a tune so whatever the car is doing to compensate we can probably change it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.