Focus Fanatics Forum banner

05-07 Door Panel Insert Change

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  RSVT170 
#1 ·
After seeing a photo of an ST with the dark red-ish colored door inserts that matched the ST seats, I decided that I wanted the same thing to match my SVT seats. I'm going to do a write-up with photos tomorrow after I get more material.

I did the drivers side door twice now, and I think the third time is going to be the charm! lol. The keep putting little rips in the vinyl. Also, I think I got the technique down.

On the drivers side door, I carefully pulled out the existing insert so I could use it as a template for the new one, but I think on the passenger-side, I'm going to try and just cover the existing insert.

More coming tomorrow. :)

#7 ·
yeah thats a lot of work lol. are you just cutting it to shape then tucking or are you drilling out the melted plugs that hold the door panel apart? first time i just tucked and with crappy glue it fell out. next time i separated the door panel and got it in there with the crappy glue, then used small screws to resecure the plastic... the glue didnt hold and i have to do it again! blah! what are you using for glue? ive got some 3M general trim adhesive and i hope it works. good luck!

#8 ·
I've been using 3M General Spray adhesive and It holds really well.

As for how, I've been cutting and tucking, but I keep getting litter tears from tugging too hard. lol

I looked all around today at 5 different fabric stores and couldn't find anything...

I think I'm going to try to special order the SVT seat cloth from an upholstery shop. That way it looks more factory. I'm starting to realize that the vinyl just dosen't look right since that color/texture isn't anywhere else in the car.

#10 ·
I went to an upholstery shop that I've gone to in the past for my Pontiac Fiero GT to see if they could get me some OEM Red SVT seat fabric to redo the door inserts.

After 6 years and 4 different states, I finally found a shop that can get it!

I've placed the order and I'm just going to have them put it in.
I really trust these guys and I know they'll do it right the first time so I'm willing to pay the $110.00 for parts and labor.

They are actually going to shave off the plastic welds behind the door to get the insert out and then re-weld them back in once it's all done.

Now that I have a supplier of this fabric, I've been looking to see what else I can re-do!

#14 ·
Well, I keep thinking about it and I've 100% decided to stick with the SVT fabric. It will give it the most OEM appearance and if I were to go with the leather, I would have to bring it into other areas of the car so it would blend better, i.e. shift boot, steering wheel ect.

I can't wait for this to get in!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.