Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Any Successful AWD Swaps Out There?

19K views 102 replies 26 participants last post by  Kickerbeast 
#1 ·
I'm starting to look for a shell. I want to do an AWD swap. From some quick research I would like to use a 4G63 and use the 8.8 limited slip from an Explorer. I'm not sure yet how the engine would have to mount as I'm just in the research stages. Figured I would post this up as an idea since I don't have enough posts on here to put up a wanted ad in the classifieds. This won't be a short term project, but I am planning on working through this over a few years. I will be sure to post back here with info as I go. If anyone knows of a ZX5 shell, let me know. I don't want a sedan and I need a 4 door for the kids.

#94 ·
Waiting to hear back about the title. The guy moved and is having a hard time finding it. Worst case I'll run the VIN and make sure it is clean then get a bill of sale while I wait on the title. Not like the car is going to be finished in the next couple of months. I have a friend that went through the same issue with a car he bought so I have a resource of getting a title even if this guy flakes out, provided there isn't a loan on it which I doubt since he "had" the title.

#98 ·
Well after another one fell through, I finally found one and we have agreed on a price and a pickup time. This time...this time..this time, this time, this time this time this time this time......this time?

#99 ·
I'm hoping it works out for you this time. I feel the same way about finding a place to dyno my car in Orlando. Every shop I go to seems to have a broken dyno or the appointments fall through. It's ridiculous. All I want to do is dyno my original 60 hp engine before I install my Zetec. [giddy]

Keep us posted and take lots of pics if it works out!

#100 ·
Well, I finally found one. Not as good of shape as I wanted for a starting point but it is a starting point and it appears to be 95% there. I'll get some pictures of it and get an actual build thread up this weekend. Might even have time to start getting it stripped down this weekend if I can get the transmission rebuild in the other one so I can get it out of the garage.

#103 ·
Thanks. I started a new thread below. I need to get the trans back together on my 04 sedan so I can get it up for sale here in the next week. It is going to be funding part of this project. Once I get that done and the other side of the garage cleaned out then it is coming and and the front will get gutted. I'll have lots of stock ZX3 parts for sale here too if anyone needs anything.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=310574

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.