Focus Fanatics Forum banner

This Is Why Street Racing Should Be Illegal

14K views 86 replies 35 participants last post by  ILuvMyZX3 
#1 · (Edited)
Couple dead after alleged street racing incident
CTV.ca News Staff

A Toronto Ontario husband and wife on their way home from celebrating their 17th wedding anniversary are the innocent victims of a street race between two young men, police say.

Two red Hondas a Civic and Del Sol, were travelling north in Richmond Hill Ontario at about 9:50 p.m. Saturday May 27th, when the Civic struck the couple's southbound Hyundai Elantra.

Robbie Manchester, 47, and his wife Lisa, 43, were pronounced dead at the scene, just 3 blocks from their home.

The couple leave behind a seven-year-old daughter, who was being watched by a family friend at the time of the accident.

"She's going to be totally devastated," said Pierre Frenette, whose daughter was babysitting the young girl.

"She is one of those kids that is devastated about a cat she lost five years ago."

Marco Gasparro, 19, of Richmond Hill driving the Del Sol, is charged with two counts of dangerous driving causing death.

The 21-year-old driver of the Civic is in critical condition in Sunnybrook Hospital. Charges are pending against him.

Police say the two racing vehicles were travelling 150 km/h ( 95 MPH ) in the 80 km/h ( 40 MPH ) zone.

Earlier this year, Toronto cab driver Tahir Khan was killed after two teens were allegedly street racing along Mount Pleasant Avenue in Toronto, reaching speeds of up to 140 km/h ( 90 MPH ) in the 50 km/h ( 35 MPH ) zone.

Khan was just 2 days away from becoming a Canadian citizen after leaving his wife and home in Pakistan six years ago to build a new life in Toronto Ontario.

Tougher laws proposed

The weekend tragedy comes just days after Prime Minister Stephen Harper announced in Victoria, B.C. plans to introduce legislation to crack down on street racing.

On Thursday, Harper said he would make street racing a specific Criminal Code offence, with stiffer sentences for those convicted.

The prime minister said the legislation, which would be introduced this spring, would also include driving prohibitions.

Street racers currently convicted of dangerous driving face a maximum sentence of five years. If someone is injured the maximum is 10 years, and 14 years if sometime is killed.

Still, the promise for tougher laws doesn't bring comfort to friends of the Manchesters.

"These kids I'm sure listen to the news, they knew the law was coming in. It didn't stop them from having what they call fun," said Anita Kampen.

"But it's not fun. They have to redefine the term fun."

With a report from CTV Toronto's Austin Delaney

Full storie is here with Video:
http://www.toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20060528/crash_fatal_060528/20060528/?hub=TorontoHome

and here:
http://www.pulse24.com/News/Top_Story/20060528-008/page.asp

See less See more
#2 ·
Street racing is illegal most places. While this particular incident really sucks, I " think " statistically it's still not as dangerous as alot of stuff that we would never consider outlawing. We only notice the really, really, bad things associated with street racing but you have to conceed that hundreds of races go down where we live everyday with no ill effect. Sure tracks and strips are prefered but if I want to run someone and it looks safe to do so I'm probably going to do it. Not to say I race everything either, I've only ran 2 cars this weekend letting alot of stuff slide.

#3 · (Edited)
Everything in life happens for a reason. Chenging rules, laws, regulations will not change what is going to happen in life. If its going to happen, its going to happen. Yes, i know not everyone believes the same way i do, thats just the way i see it. The laws in my area are very stiff. If youre caught street racing, even if its the first offence, you loose your car automatically.

#4 ·
Frost__2001 said:
This Is Why Street Racing Should Be Illegal
What do you mean by "should be illegal"?

IT IS ILLEGAL. EVERYWHERE.

What happened to those people is horrible, tragic. There are no words that one can express when something like this happens.

But the reality is, that if people can still buy hi-performance cars like 'Vettes, 'Stangs, GTO's, etc., then people are going to street race.

I do not see how this will ever change. It's just that some people who race act totally crazy behind the wheel, while others are more cautious.

All the times that I've been hit by other cars, it's been because they were drunk.

Alcohol/Drugs. That's our biggest problem right now.

And yes, there is not one single doubt that each and every life is absolutely precious. But I fear that the number of people who are killed/injured by drivers who are under the influence absolutely dwarfs those who are killed/injured by racers.

But don't get me wrong though, I'm not defending street racing.

Because when anybody dies a needless death, it's always very, very sad.

Incredibly sad.

#5 ·
I'm all far tough street racing laws but i seriously think that it's not gonna change a thing. Chances are that it might have a reverse effect and cause more street racing to happen. Most of the people that street race do it cause it is in fact illegal and they get a rush from doing something they're not suppossed to. So if it becomes more illegal then it already is...it'll give those people more of a reason to do it so they can brag about how they did something so illegal and got away. As for those that get caught...they probably think of themselves as being some sort of bada$$ for getting caught for the illegal activities they did.

#6 ·
I wish the criminal justice system in Canada was like that of the states. There's harsher penalties in the states compared to Canada. It's pathetic how murderers get 6-8 years up here in Canada (some of them anyway) which is down right bullshit.

It's too bad they couldn't just shoot those * * * * * in the head right at the scene for causing this accident.

#7 ·
Its always horrible to hear news like this. Both those idiots should be hung. Street racing is illigal in most places already and in the southern cali region the cops have managed to slow it down a bit. Stricter laws is just going to bring upon more dum ass people who build a [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] civic and think thats its the fastest thing in the world. All we can do is stay away from those idiots and keep to the tracks and hopefully no one else gets hurt do to idiocy

#8 ·
part that i hate is people like me go in the middle of know where to race and never have a problem then you got those pig headed people who do it on the main street and take out a family of 5. its like gun laws some people have no problems and then its the dumb guy who shoots his wife for no reason. its just one of those things were its un fair to people who follow the law.

#12 ·
So is speeding, to dark a tint...the list goes on. Illegal is illegal and there isn't much of a variance (opinion). Admittedly you can guess that somethign like 75% of street racers are asshats but then again probably an equal amount of drivers, if not higher, simply cannot drive at all whatsoever and are just as dangerous. I'm not a street racer but if everything lines up just right (safety assesment, a worthy car to run) then yeah I will at times run. Will I do 90 in a 35, no way unless it's in BFE. My record is spotless and I've caused zero accidents in my history which is doing much better than alot of 100% law abiding types. Some of us know what we are doing out there, not many but some. I remain convinced that the percentage of street racing accidents is far below that of the average "lack of ability to operate a motor vehicle" drivers.

#13 ·
The thing is, and this is applicable with all laws, make the sentences harsh. Take their car away for a year, right then and there. See how much of this still goes on. Same goes for other crimes, murder, mandatory life sentence, no parole. That's the 'key' to getting rid of this crap that toxifies the world.....

You wonder why there's little to no crime in other types of the world, why, because the sentences are extremely harsh.

#16 ·
Actually...with street racing i've heard and seen a bunch of kids getting their car impounded and crushed...all the while they still have to pay off the car completely (even when it is a cube)

I just don't know how bad it must be for them to impound and crush the car.

#17 ·
LastRites said:
So is speeding, to dark a tint...the list goes on. Illegal is illegal and there isn't much of a variance (opinion). Admittedly you can guess that somethign like 75% of street racers are asshats but then again probably an equal amount of drivers, if not higher, simply cannot drive at all whatsoever and are just as dangerous. I'm not a street racer but if everything lines up just right (safety assesment, a worthy car to run) then yeah I will at times run. Will I do 90 in a 35, no way unless it's in BFE. My record is spotless and I've caused zero accidents in my history which is doing much better than alot of 100% law abiding types. Some of us know what we are doing out there, not many but some. I remain convinced that the percentage of street racing accidents is far below that of the average "lack of ability to operate a motor vehicle" drivers.
ok, there is a difference here. tint too dark isn't gonna kill anyone. 5 mph over the limit can make a difference, but realistically it isn't going to increase the risk factor by all that much. street racing, though i'm not gonna denying messing around a few times here and there, and again like u, just on back roads and the places i know well that aren't trafficked much, is still highly dangerous. even with a smart driver that is watching for everything around them, there's always the unexpected to take into account. you can't just sit here and say that illegal tint and speed racing present about the same risks to the driver, passengers, and pedestrians.

#18 ·
Well Here in Ontario our laws are very laxed at best, and this is not the 1st time some idiots killed someone, I put this thread up as Should be illegal, because most people try to defend street racing as a sport, or something they do on empty roads in the middle of nowhere.

Reality is unless people get it that you can race legally on a race track ( yes that means you'd have to pay to use a track ) and our Highways systems are not the AutoBahn, things like this will happen and the reality is innocent people will pay the price for it over the person who cause things like this to happen. Really I bet anyone who wants to justify street racing should watch that news clip of that little girl leaving her family home without her parents, looking so lost and then try to justify street racing.

#20 ·
I find taking a car and crushing it our outright siezing it to be quite tyrranical. Take their license. Fine them. Humiliate them, but if someone tried to just take my car that I have thousands of dollars in and sell it or crush it, I assure you, there would be trouble.

Our government is quite keen on siezing property and reeping profit or whatever from it lately. [:)][:)][:)][:)] that. That is bullshit.

If I were forced to sell it (hell, remember, they took my license), that would be doable, but outright essentially stealing it, no way.

#21 ·
I have heard a few stories about Denver police trying to seize peoples cars because of street racing. One person I know of, paid a lot of money to a lawyer to get his audi back....turns out the police left the windows down while it was in the lot and it had rained a bit, lol.

#22 ·
Re: Re: Re: This Is Why Street Racing Should Be Illegal

..:: sleestak ::.. said:
Esp out here, in Colorado.....

Liquor stores are closed on Sundays & I cant find a sack anywhere this weekend. [:)~]
Make friends with someone on base, Sunday sales all day [;)]

#23 ·
Frost__2001 said:
Well Here in Ontario our laws are very laxed at best, and this is not the 1st time some idiots killed someone, I put this thread up as Should be illegal, because most people try to defend street racing as a sport, or something they do on empty roads in the middle of nowhere.

Reality is unless people get it that you can race legally on a race track ( yes that means you'd have to pay to use a track ) and our Highways systems are not the AutoBahn, things like this will happen and the reality is innocent people will pay the price for it over the person who cause things like this to happen. Really I bet anyone who wants to justify street racing should watch that news clip of that little girl leaving her family home without her parents, looking so lost and then try to justify street racing.
Yeah it seems every week on FocusCanada.net there is a new thread about some street racer getting killed or killing someone else.

I'd personally love to punch upside the head, every person who thinks street racing is 'fine'. Wait until a close friend (or relative) of yours is killed by one of these a$$holes.

#24 ·
I don't think it's fine, I think it's comparable. These people getting into accidents with it tend to be teenagers right? I dunno, just doesn't happen locally often enough to be impressionable. I read once about a street racer hitting a homeless guy crossing the street, once. I've read a damned similiar story regarding a similiar situation involving a standard issue driver on their way home from the office. About the video comments, I watch those types of videoes at least once a 1/4, it's required for me. Of course the angle is drunk driving and being that I don't drink I disregard those. Being that drunk driving is a much more serious problem in the country perhaps an alcohol ban is something to lobby for instead. But that didn't work out to well last time. I'll stop short of being a 100% racing advocate but I would like to argue that the death & carnage associated with it isn't even comparable (percentage wise or per capita) than other motoring incidents like all the "oopsies" or drunks.

And about the punching thing, hey bra I'm a 4 time over hardened combat vet, I punch back [poke] [;)]

#25 ·
For the record, I wasn't directing that towards you. I wasn't trying to be threatening, I just get so fed up with people that think it's ok to do this. Put yourself in the shoes of that kid for example. Never being able to see either of her parents again. That is heartbreaking. That poor kid. I'm just saying, why promote it? Some people actually look at that and say 'oh well, too bad'..... it just breaks my heart what the families have to go though when something like this happens (on both sides as even the perps family will have to deal with their kids racing and the consequences also).

Your right though, there are accidents all the time, usually related to someone doing something stupid or not paying attention. This goes for 'mistakes' or 'street racing' as far as I'm concerned.

#26 ·
June 6th 1999-A man and a basket full of cute little puppies pulls up to a T intersection and tries to merge. A van parked on the side of the road has 30% tint. (over the legal limit) Driver A cant see or hear an aproaching black 18wheeler. Driver A noses out and black rig rams into Driver A and instantly kills Driver and litter of puppies.
Moral of my story is tint does indeed kill as well. Strickter laws against tint!
the end:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.