Focus Fanatics Forum banner

SYNC System Thread

332K views 525 replies 200 participants last post by  double b 
#1 ·
#388 ·
Is there a way to have my phone synced up via Bluetooth and have it read out directions while listening to music via USB?

#391 ·
I was referring to using Google Maps navigation on my phone, not through SYNC services.

#393 ·
FWIW I searched and couldn't find this situation.

I have a couple week old '13 SE with Sync MyFord, but not MFT. I have about 8,000 tracks in MP3 format loaded on a 64 GB flash drive.

Music is organised like this:

Artist
Album1
Track1
Track2

It plays fine and I can use voice commands to play artists and albums.

When I say "Play track Rocky Raccoon"

Sync replies "Track commands are not available for this device"

Is this a limitation based on the quantity of tracks? Is there some way to organize folders/files so it works? Scrolling through artists and albums on the display is a huge PITA!

Thanks!

#395 ·
Sync replies "Track commands are not available for this device"

Is this a limitation based on the quantity of tracks? Is there some way to organize folders/files so it works? Scrolling through artists and albums on the display is a huge PITA!

Thanks!
Yes and no... There is a limit, but I have 10,000 fully-tagged songs on my 64GB thumb drive and can access all of them via voice command by artist, album and track. SYNC organizes the library based on tags, not by folder arrangement.

#394 ·
Scrolling really is a torturous process, there has to be a quicker way. Not sure of a solution to your problem, but I know for me I had to have artist, song, and album all filled out in the song file's detail tab, aka tag.

#398 · (Edited)
I had my entire collection on the flash drive. I deleted a bunch of stuff that I would rarely or never listen to and got it down to just under 6,500 tracks. Still no voice for individual tracks.[poke]

I read on another forum that it's really fussy about the fields in the ID3 tags and you should just have Album, Artist, Genre, Title, and Track. I downloaded MP3tag and deleted all of the other metadata. I was surprised at all of the other fields I had populated. I did this operation directly on the flash drive and it took a while. Still no voice for individual tracks.[slap]

I low level formatted the flash drive, which took hours and copied the tracks to it with no directory structure. Still no voice for individual tracks and at least 1 album started playing in a wacky order.[nutkick]

When it re-indexed each of these times the Sync lady would say "Due to the number of tracks on this device voice commands are not available for individual tracks". Makes me think that there's a number where it just can't build the individual track index any more.[scream]

So....
Reformatted (quick) and am copying the library back to the drive the way it started out. [smackbum]

I have some smaller flash drives that I'll try with fewer tracks. Would love to know what the magic number is.

Edit -
Put some stuff on a 2GB flash drive. Made sure to mix some tracks I bought as MP3 and some ripped and it worked great. Indexed very quickly and able to get tracks via voice.

#400 ·
I have a 2012 SEL with SYNC but not MFT and had a wierd issue popup.

Last Thursday, my bluetooth audio decided to no longer work from my phone. I keep getting "bluetooth device not detected" although I see the bluetooth symbol on the screen and on my phone. However, when saying other commands such as Services or making a call, it works flawlessly. I used to have an Android phone and didn't have any trouble. I got an iPhone 5 3 months ago and didn't have any issues until a week ago. I've reset the car and my phone several times, deleted my phone from Sync, and re-added it, all to no avail. I'm just afraid that it's going to be a Ford vs. Apple issue with them pointing the fingers at each other and putting me in the middle. Software and features don't just disappear. Is there anything else I should do or should I just have the dealership take a look? I'm really losing patience over other little things that keep happening.

#401 · (Edited)
Rebuilt the collection onto the 64GB drive and as expected, too many files for track voice commands.

I have a 32GB drive and loaded about 28GB of music onto it, more or less what I would usually listen to and it works great. I didn't mess with the tag data at all, which makes me think it's a straight file count limitation.

64GB drive - 6,453 files
32GB drive - 2,965 files
The Sync lady is happy now![8D]

1 other thing that seems odd -
There's no way to select different sources from the steering wheel controls. The manual shows a different setup with a media button. Mine has OK in the middle with arrows around it. Am I missing something, or did they just leave it out?

#402 ·
Whenever I want to browse the media stuff I have to hit the MENU button on the center console I think it is, next to the music symbol button, and then I use the steering wheel arrows.

#403 ·
Im starting to become fed up with sync. So I have tried resetting my iPod and iPhone numerous times, voice commands still are not available on either device. So I put a couple albums on a flash drive and put it in, plays fine but again voice commands just do not work, I dont understand it. It all used to work fine for the first month I had the car. Another issue is that whenever I say "call home" or someone else, sync will say "say 1 for work, say 2 for cell, say 3 for mobile" so Ill say 3 and it doesnt even call the right person. Also used to work fine, its rather frustrating because everything else about the car is great but this stupid radio. And scrolling through my music is no help because that takes way too long.

#406 ·
has anyone had this problem..everytime the temp outside dips below -10c my sync stops working on both of my 2012 focus's...the ford engineers are stumped by this problem..I have had the (apin module) replaced on both vehicles and tomorrow ford is going to start troubleshooting the issue...

#408 ·
The Search Command

Has anybody gotten the search command to do anything useful? It's in the list of commands from help and uses the same parameters as the play command.

I'm using a 32GB USB thumb drive and have track level voice commands working fine.

If I say "Search Artist Cream"

The Sync Lady says "Searching artist Cream"

Cream comes up on the display for about 3 seconds and it goes back to playing whatever happened to be playing.[???:)]

If I say "Refine" the Sync Lady tells me I have to do a search first, even if I catch it with "Cream" still on the display.

I've "searched" here and via Google and not found any info. In fact, Ford doesn't list Search in their command list on line. The manual is no help. I called Sync support and they told me that you need to do a command like "Play" after the search.

So it looks like it's a wasted command.[smackbum]

#409 ·
I found out some more about the refine command - it needs parameters as well. If I catch it in the 3 seconds that the search parameter is on the display it will accept it. It won't refine with the same parameter as the search (artist, album, etc.).

So....

Search artist Cream

While Cream is on the display hit the button again

Refine album Disraeli Gears

Sync lady repeats it, Disraeli Gears comes up on the display - 3 seconds later back to whatever is playing.

It looks like Search and Refine are both useless commands.[nutkick]

Some "interesting" design choices here. We don't get any radio voice commands, but have some that are utterly useless built in.[scratch]

#412 ·
swap sync for standard radio

Hello all,
Sorry if this has been mentioned but I'm interested in replacing my standard radio in my '12 se with the sync version. I talked to a ford parts guy and got some parts numbers but he couldn't tell me if it would work for sure or not. Here are the parts numbers:
CM5T18K811LA
CP9Z14D202A
DB5Z14D212AA
CM5Z18C869HA
CM5T-18B955-GA, GB and GC or CM5T-18B955-GA thru GF

I'm planning on buying these parts secondhand and bringing them to ford to have them installed. I just don't want to buy them all and find out it isn't possible to do this.
Lil' help???

#413 ·
Hello Focus Fanatics!

Really new to SYNC and all, hoping maybe someone can help me with a question I have.

I use Bluetooth audio to play music off Spotify via my GS4. I've noticed that in order to do so, you always have to go to sync settings and select "Bluetooth media" in order to play, everytime you start the car. Is there always for it to go to that mode automatically instead of "line in"? Kinda of annoying having to go into settings every time. Thanks!

#414 ·
Hi Armenian22,

SYNC is no longer setup to default to Bluetooth Audio, but instead of going into the settings, you can just use the voice command: Bluetooth Audio. :)

Rebecca

#422 ·
If you haven't done so already, I suggest a trip to your dealership so they can diagnose and correct this.

Hey everyone, I just purchased a 2012 Ford Focuse SEL hatchback and absolutely love it. A huge upgrade from my 97 Toyota Camry! I'm just wondering if anyone has solved the riddle of getting SYNC to read text messages via the sync system? I have MyFord SYNC not MyFord Touch. From what I've read says it is compatible. I've tried the master reset and that has not seemed to work. Anyone have any luck?
Congrats on your new-to-you Focus, Irish614!

When you first pair your phone, do you get the popup to allow or deny MAP access?

Rebecca

#421 ·
Galaxy S4 and text?

Hey everyone, I just purchased a 2012 Ford Focuse SEL hatchback and absolutely love it. A huge upgrade from my 97 Toyota Camry! I'm just wondering if anyone has solved the riddle of getting SYNC to read text messages via the sync system? I have MyFord SYNC not MyFord Touch. From what I've read says it is compatible. I've tried the master reset and that has not seemed to work. Anyone have any luck?

#425 ·
Let me know what they say, gtncpa.

I'm liking my MFT system now after upgrading my phone, got a Samsung GS 5, and now I get notifications of incoming texts, FINALLY! I just wish there was a way to create custom responses to answer back with because the canned set is limited, or wish it had the ability to use voice recognition typing to respond back.
I'm glad you're liking your MFT now, dbsimms63! You can edit the canned responses by pressing EDIT when you have a text open (on MFT).

Rebecca

#424 ·
I'm liking my MFT system now after upgrading my phone, got a Samsung GS 5, and now I get notifications of incoming texts, FINALLY! I just wish there was a way to create custom responses to answer back with because the canned set is limited, or wish it had the ability to use voice recognition typing to respond back.

#427 ·
Try this:

First Step... on your PC
Open Notepad in Windows... or any pure text editor NOT a word processor.
Create a list of 15 and ONLY 15 text messages.
No blank lines at beginning or end of the file.
Do NOT use word/line wrap and press Enter at the end of each message only.
I assume there is a funky length limit... like 140 characters, but none of mine busted it so not sure.
Save the file as text message.txt and then copy it to your USB drive. I use one for my music collection so I just put it on that one. Any USB thumb drive will work. BUT... remember the other Sync "bug"... it MUST be formatted at FAT32... exFAT and NTFS do NOT work in Sync.

Next... in the Car
Insert your USB drive and give it a minute to load/index.
Go to Phone, Messaging and either Send or Reply.
To set mine up, I just started to Send a message to anyone, cause you can just cancel out without sending once you've finished updating the list.
You will see an "Update" button at the bottom-right below the Send, Edit, etc.
Press the Update button.
A screen will pop up listing your USB drive. Click that and select your text message.txt file you just created.
A few status pop ups later... COOL... new messages!

Found this on another forum.

#428 ·
Just a quick question: Do I have to have a PAID subscription account to login via SYNC Destinations on my Android? For some reason it simply will not login, it says it's incorrect but logs in on a PC just fine.

EDIT: In case it makes any difference, I have the latest 4.1.2F version as my car was made in 3/2013. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.