Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Focus ST or Fusion SE 1.6 Ecoboost 6-spd M/T? Which would you pick?

17K views 78 replies 25 participants last post by  suss6052 
#1 ·
The last time I went up to Portsmouth Ford for maintenance,they had 4 Focus STs in their inventory and about 45 Fusions. The one "special" Fusion they had in their inventory was equipped with the 1.6 liter EcoBoost and 6-spd manual tranny combo. All the vehicles were comparably priced(originally around $28K but there are discounts)and I'm tempted to trade in the Focus coupe for one or the other. Which you pick if you had the money?

#44 ·
Nice review. Although comparing the 2 cars is like comparing apples and oranges, Each person has their own set of ideas and requirements. I agree with you on your decision. For a 6+ foot guy, I am sure the Fusion is more comfortable. I own both a Fusion and Focus (both previous generation) and the Fusion is much quieter, smoother, more comfortable, and all together better driving car, if you have to make long trips. Good luck

#45 ·
Though I haven't driven a Fusion mtx, I did drive a Focus ST when shopping for a new car. I liked it, but it didn't end up being what I chose.

I think for your circumstances, especially in light of keeping the Abarth, the Fusion will be a great choice. Seems like the duo will give you the best of both worlds. Hope it works out for you. [thumb]

#46 ·
Just seen the 2014 Fusion order guide and the 1.6L EcoBoost with manual transmission can now be dealer stock order.
Since the new 1.5L EcoBoost with automatic transmission only is replacing the 1.6LEB with automatic transmission, Ford has taken the restriction away on the 1.6L EB as a customer order only on 2014 Fusion.

Good luck on the purchase of the Fusion 1.6 EB manual , as I mentioned before it is a very nicely spec'd SE for sure.

#57 ·
I wonder how many will order the 1.6L anyways, we rarely see manuals ordered anymore.

So basically what you're saying was that it was actually specifically ordered for a particular person (or else Ford wasn't going to build it at least per the order guide), but that said person is a dealership employee and is willing to sell the car now and then order another one instead afterwards? So basically the truth still stands that Ford didn't build the car just for the hell of it, lol.

That makes much more sense than it just having randomly shown up at the dealer. There was one manual listed at a dealer near me, but that was the dealer mistyping what they actually had, it turns out it was a 2.0 L EcoBoost Fusion that they had tagged as a manual instead.
Others can correct me if I'm wrong but if the sales person ordered it (D Plan) his name would've showed up on the window sticker and it doesn't. So sounds like it was a customer order not a plan order (Ford only puts customer name on AZXD plans unless it changed).

#49 ·
UPDATE: THE FUSION IS MINE!!!!![headbang]

And it's name is Epyon..

Thank you to Portsmouth Ford and specifically,Eddy Francis!!!
His boss put an order in for another M/T Fusion(leather like mine but this one will be gray instead of red). Apparently from the time the order is put in to the time the car arrives it takes 3 MONTHS for a manual tranny Fusion to hit the lot.

I'll post pics of the new hotness up tomorrow,when there's some daylight(it's 8 p.m. now,lol).

#69 ·
Saw the motortrend, was looking for something a bit more in depth, but thanks for the links errybody.

#74 ·
This car ROCKS!! I have people driving Honda Accords asking me about it-and I haven't even had the car a whole week yet!lol
I even got money back from canceling the extended service contract on the Focus(prorated at the remaining balance)-$673 dollars. I wasn't expecting it for another 2 weeks at least but the money came at the right time! Up until now I never thought driving a midsize sedan would be this much fun!!! Even if you don't plan to buy one the Fusion is seriously worth a look. Remember,I originally planned to gun for the Focus ST.

#75 ·
Took some daytime shots(finally)at the car wash. The fact that I parked next to a 2012 Taurus is purely coincidental!!LOL There's also a few shots of the EcoBoost mill.

#77 ·
2013 Fusions have an ELECTRIC parking brake. The switch is on the center console next to the cupholders. Push the button to disengage it(release) and push it again to engage it. It takes some getting used to.lol

#79 ·
Since I had no luck locating a manual fusion to drive, and I was already in love with the ST I got myself a silver ST, so that's still probably what I would have picked, but I really would have wanted to have test driven the fusion so I could at least have said I'd had the experience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.