Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Tire Pressure Question

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  tmumolo 
#1 ·
Just got a 2012 Ford Focus SE Hatch dual clutch auto; (yes I love it) Ford recommends 35psi cold tire pressure which seems a little stiff. 98 percent of the time I drive alone so there is never much weight in the car. Does anyone run tire pressure different than recommended. I'm thinking 34 instead of 35psi; Obviously steering and handling is a bit crisper at 35psi but the ride is not as smooth.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
tony

#3 ·
After some experimenting I decided 35psi as per Ford's recommendation provides the best overall performance. Inflating the tire 10 psi over what's recommended by Ford is, I believe, verging on over inflating the tires which is not good either.
That being said; under inflation is worse.

#8 ·
Yeah the handling is where higher pressures help. If all you want it to get to work, then stock is fine. In fact one pound down is not problem is all you want is comfort.
I like to be able to go around corners with NO body lean..
So high pressures really help to corner at much faster speeds and feel good doing it.
If you drive like you grandma in her Buick, then none of that matters. [bigcry]

#10 ·
Run what you like. 1-3psi isn't a huge difference in terms of daily driving. You may loose 1-2mpg, if anything, but if the comfort is worth it then go for it.

Also, in theory, tire wear is slightly accelerated. But keep in mind tire pressure fluctuate regardless within 1-4 psi from driving and the tires heating up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.