Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Extreme High idle...is this normal for a focus?

4K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  jmotank 
#1 ·
I bought a 05 Zx5 about 2 mounths ago and when i cold start it, it always adles between 1500 to 2000 RPMs...is this normal for these cars? all vehicles i have owned in the past have never idles this high. I took it in and they reset the computer and said it was fixed but its still doing it...is this something i should have checked out or a normal thing?

#4 ·
^^^ Yup.
I still find it disturbing that it idles that high when cold. My Zetec doesn't idle near as high.
The Duratec sounds like it ramps up to about 3K rpms after the first few seconds from a cold start then gradually goes down after about 2-3 minutes. That's a lot of time reving high from a cold start when the oil is in the pan.

I'm just glad that I use synthetic oil since it provides better lubrication at start up.
Engine start up has been said causes 90% of engine wear.

#6 ·
ok ya at a cold start its at 2K and after about 3-4 mins it settles down to about 7-8 hundred...i have never had a car that idled that high and it just bugged me...but i wasnt sure if it was normal or if i should have it looked at...Thanks

#13 ·
I saw this happen to my Focus just lately. When the temp dropped below 25F. At temps above 25F, to about 50F, it just jumps to around 1500 RPM. In the summer, it would start at 1000 RPM.

#15 ·
same here. at start up it idles high then settles down and smooths out. it's normal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.