Focus Fanatics Forum banner

The TICK build thread

56K views 253 replies 40 participants last post by  UnFocusedST 
#1 · (Edited)
I am starting my build thread approximately 1 year from the date of the incident. My car is a 2001 ZX3, and has been so named by family and friends as the "TICK".

1 year ago I went through my normal process of making sure my car would pass Utah safety and emissions. Part of this was to get the EGR working as it had been fine due to a Tune but visual inspections have increased in effectiveness and was forced to confront it last year. After hooking up the EGR some pipes were hot now where were not previously causing the 0 AWG wire ran for the starter and the alternator (routed through the intake runners and coincidentally had been resting against the metal tube between the EGR and the intake manifold). With the EGR hooked up and not realizing this about halfway to work the car lost power and started to have smoke come out from under the hood.

Pulled over and tried starting it again first thing and it would start but then instantly die unless the throttle was pushed in. Still smoking now more I opened the hood to see flames... was able to blow them out and disconnect power but damage had been done. My insurance has road side assistance but requires it to go to a dealer, the dealer was not sure what might have gone wrong (even after me telling them exactly what happened and what needed fixed).

After realizing that the dealership was not the way to go I was able to get it towed home. after doing compression tests it was evident that I may have had also a head gasket that had gone. Either way I found that this was a perfect time to do the rebuild that I have always wanted.

What is Currently Done:
Koni Sport suspension
SVT Front Brakes
SVT Exhaust Header (wrapped w/ SVT CAT & Flex)
Magnaflow 2.5" SS CAT Back (no resonator)
Focus-Sport Cool-Flo Intake (no longer ITG filter)
65mm Focus Cental TB
Focus-Sport Tune
Steada Short through shifter
F2 turn key transmission with 4.10 gear final drive
Focus Sport Aluminum Flywheel
Pro Luk Gold Clutch
VF engineering Rear "Dog bone" mount
Eibach sway bars (front and rear)
Focus Sport strut tower braces (front and rear)
MOOG tie rod ends (from a 2007) and sway bar end links

What I am doing now:
Eagle H-Beam Rods
JE 85.5mm 9.0:1 pistons
Clevite 77 P series Rod bearings
Sealed Power Main bearings
ARP Main and head studs
C-F-M High RPM Oil Pump
Adjustable Cam Gears
SVT high flow CAT from C-F-M (Street version) & larger flex pipe

What I will be doing:
After I get the car up and running with the built bottom end the top end will be addressed
Ford Racing head
Stage 2 CAMS
3" Trubends cat back exhaust
Quaife Limited Slip Diff
Stage 3 or 4 clutch

What I will do once I get $$ for Turbo install:
Get what ever is needed for a goal of 300-325 HP

All Pictures taken will be uploaded to Photobucket ( http://s603.photobucket.com/albums/tt117/Magus2727/Focus Rebuild/?start=all ) and select pictures will be direct linked to this build thread.

So to start this build out came the motor and the transmission.

After removing everything and taking as many pictures as I could so I could remember where everything was I realized even though I had graduated and working full time now, I did not have the increase in extra cash I was expecting for for most of 2011 I was cleaning the bolts one by one with a Dremmal and a SS wire wheel. Tax returns allowed the work to begin.

I was able to get JE Pistons and Eagle H-Beam rods from C-F-M and also then get the engine work done, high speed balance of the crank (along with a polish).

I have 85.5mm pistons for a 9.0:1 compression, figured that this was going to be the only time i was going to build this up so was going to do it right and go big or go home. [:)]

I am planing on going FI with this for a Turbo, but at the moment as its getting built as funds come in the goal is to get it up and running built for use of a turbo and then add the turbo approx 1 year down the road.

Over Memorial day weekend I was able to install ARP Mains

and get the crank shaft installed

i have approx 0.002" of radial clearance between the bearings (used Sealed Power bearings, Clevite no longer makes the P series).

I also did not like the look of the motor having the bad peeling black paint (is it paint?) so after cleaning the block further and in more detail I got the POR-15 engine enamel paint kit for a Ford Corporate Blue color. I also got that painted over Memorial Day weekend.

The pistons will be installed after triple checking the end gap again and clean everything up... I have a half jug of royal purple 5W-20 which I will be using to lube the pistons during install.

UPDATE 6/1/2012:

Pistons have been installed, Thats the last of the new parts I have. Next will be getting the bottom end put back together after I get the C-F-M oil pump once it comes back into stock...

Ring End Gaps:

Piston #1 -- Piston #2 -- Piston #3 -- Piston #4​
Top Comp Ring ------ 0.016" ---- 0.015" ---- 0.015" ---- 0.016"
Bottom Comp Ring --- 0.018" ---- 0.018" ---- 0.017" ---- 0.018"
Top Oil Ring --------- 0.018" ---- 0.018" ---- 0.018" ---- 0.020"
Bottom Oil Ring ------ 0.020" ---- 0.020" ---- 0.020" ---- 0.020"

See less See more
#82 ·
Thanks.

Update:
Got the head back from Hunter Machine Shop.

So now oi just need to install the head. Do I need to clean around the valves where it shows the die? Use brake cleaner?

I have the ARP studs in the block. Both surfaces need to be completely clean also. Wipe down of the two surfaces with brake cleaner and both sides of the gasket.

Any tips on the install?

#83 ·
Got some good work on it last night.

After turning the crank a few times to make sure the timing belt was set and all I saw that the timing belt walked right to the edge of the tensioner. Does the below picture look normal?

#84 ·
Got the transmission all cleaned up:

its ready to be installed.

About to purchase the fluids

#85 ·

Got the fly wheel and clutch all together. Got the transmission mounted to the motor. All ready to get it installed.

Hope to install the motor tomorrow.

#89 ·
Transmission will be out in less than a year for a LSD install. So perhaps I will paint it black then. Still have some POR-15 but likely won't be good still when I get to paint it.

#90 ·
It's IN!!!!

Got most the wires attached there is 1-2 I need to figure out where they go. Going to pick up the motor oil this afternoon. put the drive shafts in this evening and bleed the clutch line. Hook up the alt, starter, battery, and air intake. Crank her over a bit to build oil pressure. bleed/prime the fuel system and perhaps get it started.

#92 ·
Was not to hard. Just took me man handling the motor while another person (my wife) to lower the cherry picker. It must have been the way I had attached the lift points to have it at the level and angle it was. Took about 30 min to drop it in.

Edit: And looking back on it, I should have connected up the wiring for the alt and the starter and had that wire routed the way it should be before dropping in also. Now I have to work by feel to hook up the starter wires and also figure the best way to route the Alt.

#93 ·
WOW!!! Nice read sir. You are making me feel sad for not doing all my own work.......

Now I totally understand your billet gear frustration!! Don't worry, it to shall come.

Im subbing now so I can see what happens next! :cool:

#94 ·
Thanks,

I really need to update this thread. its been 6 months since I got it running. attended 3 WinterX events and another AutoX event just last weekend.

#98 ·
I like them a lot. I have not had time to play with the camber much at all. I have them only out a few threads so the camber plates are doing most the work. 2.2 deg on one side and 2.4 deg on the other. using the camber plates at full neg camber. this is about the same as they gave me when I was on stock arms.

I want to add in more camber from the arms and then zero out the plates a bit more. Its easier to make camber adjustments from the plates then it is with the arms. but once again I have not had the time. Last semester of my masters program, Sold house, building new one and current living situation is a bit difficult to work on the car. Come August though when I am not working on trying to put in sod before winter I will have the camber worked out.

To be honest I am not sure if I feel much of a difference. but I also was coming from having my car on blocks for 2.5 years and then had all sorts of things done to it when I started driving it again. I really like the arms and like knowing that they will be easier to service then the old arms.

The arms are good quality, the price is a bit steep. If C-F-M had the oil pump gear I would have likely gotten that over the arms and worked on drilling out my old arms a bit harder. but I had the budget for something in that range and wanted to keep it towards the car.

I really need to update this build thread... but see the don't have much time bit...

oh myyyyyy!

d0 tell!

I've think we should call l0cal y0kalz f0r a wellness check!
Sometimes I have the hardest time understanding what your talking about.

#97 ·
oh myyyyyy!

d0 tell!

I've think we should call l0cal y0kalz f0r a wellness check!

#99 ·
hahaha.. yeah, the Spazz will do that to ya...

i really want to get camber arms and plates like you have..
then camber arms/toe arms for the rear...
but money doesnt allow it for me just yet..

#100 ·
I really need to get some camber in the rear. after a track day my tires show that I need a bit more camber. But I also am reminded that I need to get something better than All Season performance tires. As great at the Potenza RE960AS Pole Position's are I need some sticky tires ( Toyo R1R or R888). but that's money also.

I was looking at least getting camber bolts to dial in a bit but still even though the $ is not there the time is.

#103 ·
I acquired them years ago... some 7 years now. back when a company called F2 was around and offered turn key transmissions. my 2nd gear synchro's were going bad and needed a rebuild / new transmission but due to temporary living in another state doing something I needed my car (Was a installer for alarm systems) I needed something I could install in less than 48 hours and work.

I got the transmission from them and had them install the 4.10 gears. Thinking on it I should have had them put in the LSD also. Since they were rebuilding it already their was no charge for installation just the raw cost of the parts.

I like it, although I am told once I go FI the 4.10 gears will make first almost useless. but being NA at the moment I like it. Doing an autoX event it put me in 3rd gear the whole time where I could see if I was on stock gears 3rd would be to high and 2nd would run out of gas.

My PMG I am seeing on average is about 28-26 MPG. I think I took about a 1MPG hit. I am at 3k RPM in 5th gear when at about 70ish (due to tire size and gears my speedo is not all that accurate)

Its OK mag, I don't even understand myself sometime. [;)]

Its the drugs, Legal even. I've been through some tremendous traumas and I'm not like everybody else. [ohcrap] I seem to bond well with Vets, due to that.....

I just haven't see you for a while lil buddy!
Yea I jump in and out of the other forums when I see something interesting or something that I can actually contribute (or think I can contribute to). I am usually always on but more in the off topic areas or trying to see if anyone local is selling some cheap stock rims.

#102 ·
Its OK mag, I don't even understand myself sometime. [;)]

Its the drugs, Legal even. I've been through some tremendous traumas and I'm not like everybody else. [ohcrap] I seem to bond well with Vets, due to that.....

I just haven't see you for a while lil buddy!

#104 ·
pssst I think I scary Don, blue5ive a little.

[ohcrap] did I type that out loud, now he knows I know! [:)]

I was definitely getting him and s\/\/ift confused because of 5s profile pic. It looks like s\/\/ift's current car.

#107 ·
this is a awesome thread! do you know how much power you are putting down with the built engine being NA?

#108 ·
Thanks!

Don't know power. I am wanting to get cams and get them on a Dyno to tune them and then I will know what power I am putting down.

#109 ·
Nice, well keep this thread updated! Your car is awesome.

#110 ·
It has been a while since I have posted any updates, and think I have done some significant stuff. watch for a pending up date to review everything over the past year +.

Have done Auto-X, have done battery relocation, NASA HPDE event, oil catch can, wheels and tires... etc. will be posting a large update thread in the next few days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.