Focus Fanatics Forum banner

loss of power at lower engine speedss

4K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Kyllgore 
#1 ·
I've spent the last 4 days going through the forums, and I am stumped
I have severe loss of power below 3k, over 3k runs fine and normal.
So I figure it's not lack of fuel, I just replaces the PCV hose, it was
slightly better, happens after the engine warms up a bit too most times.
Having to over rev to start from a standstill is killing my MPG.
I'm going to start looking at the egr and dpfe sensor this weekend.
I had a check engine light last time, my car was in limp home mode
i replaced plug wires and coil and it was good, that was 3 years ago.
So what to look at next, vacuum lines all look and feel good.
My few engine mods are SRI and my TB.
Is there any sensors that need to be checked at 110k miles.

#2 ·
Moved your thread to the Technical Chat area so you can get more help with your problem.

I wouldn't worry about a problem that happened 3 yrs ago though it may be time to replace that stuff again depending on the mileage it has. Sounds like you would have a bad vacuum leak to cause severe loss of power below 3k rpm's. Have you ever changed the fuel filter? How does it idle?

#3 ·
idle is normal, and the fuel filter was a week ago, I just replaced the wires and stuff 3 years back the original stock was what i had before, i still had the stock battery till 2 years ago it lasted over 6 years, I've replaced tail lights too but my head lights are still original. Not that that matters anyways. but it does sound like vacuum? I'll give it a more extensive look this weekend

#9 ·
What year and engine?

There's a big fat rubber hose I found today between the firewall and engine. Routed from engine manifold port, then routed from passenger side to driver side and forward near thermostat housing to a metal vacuum line system on bracket.

The car was bogging cause the vacuum was collapsing the soft rubber hose. I put some stiff rubber fuel hose in in place of the thin rubber oem part and car runs great again.

#10 ·
There's a big fat rubber hose I found today between the firewall and engine. Routed from engine manifold port, then routed from passenger side to driver side and forward near thermostat housing to a metal vacuum line system on bracket.

The car was bogging cause the vacuum was collapsing the soft rubber hose. I put some stiff rubber fuel hose in in place of the thin rubber oem part and car runs great again.
is he talking about the pcv line?

#11 · (Edited)
ok PDFE sensor changed, new PCV hose
still have the issue checked all vacuum hoses all are good
what else should I look at?
Sometimes when it loses power I feel feedback in the gas pedal.
EDIT
Here is more info, car is usually fine at 1/3 throttle below 3k rpms
Over 3k it runs great, but below anything more than 1/3 throttle surges and feels like "popping" in the gas pedal.
So I doubt fuel is an issue and now from stops taking off I almost always need the AC off.
I need help can't afford stealership
would alternator effect this in anyway?
and for some reason this thread does not come up when I search?

why isn't my thread showing up anymore?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.