Focus Fanatics Forum banner

factory or aftermarket?

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  sleepyboy 
#1 ·
I recently replaced the transmission mount in my FoFo. The original (or, what I assume to be the original) clearly needed it as the rubber was basically just flaking off. I replaced it with a Duralast (Autozone) part. This actually made the noise and vibration worse. Are the factory mounts really that much softer?

#5 ·
Aftermarket mounts will use like one rubber compound on everything they make and it will be hard as rock. Factory will often use different rubber compounds based on what engineering has shown to be the proper amount of damping for particular engine/chassis combinations. On the hydraulic mounts the aftermarket will be made very much shoddier with some new ones coming apart in weeks or days...............

Oh, and a lifetime warranty on those particular parts really means absolutely nothing, they are made so cheaply they actually plan on you coming back to get replacements which will fare no better. BTDT several times.

#10 ·
The ES mount has a lip on it to keep the mount from slipping out of the dog bone. I've also had a new Prothane mount split on me before which caused some damage to my car. Now I have a leaking PS rack and a bent exhaust. Though the exhaust was a tad too close to my PS rack to begin with but when the mount gave it whacked it good. I've had the ES mount last years before failing. Poly mounts do wear out they just take a lot longer to do it. Oh and the other Prothane mount I had is slipping out the mount. You can order the ES mount directly from ES for less than 25 bucks shipped. I have pics but can't post them due to my work internet.

#11 ·
That lip did nothing whatsoever to stop the ES insert from squeezing itself out on mine. It also vibrated much more, my first and final experience with urethane mounts..............

#12 ·
Did you put the thick part on the bottom or top? Not that I'm saying you don't know how to install it or anything just curious cause the first time I put it in I had it upside down and backwards. Also your not supposed to use any lube to put them in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.