Focus Fanatics Forum banner

My Ford Touch Thread

2M views 4K replies 396 participants last post by  Teamlosi23 
#1 ·
A member mentioned about having a sticky for the MFT sytem and I thought it was a good idea. Here's the thread for owners to discuss the MFT system, talk about and share issues they are having and to even share solutions. I know there are several MFT threads already out there, but we gotta start somewhere. Please keep this clean as it's going to be for everyone's benefit.

For everyone's information:
http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conte...wnerGuidePage&year=2012&make=Ford&model=Focus

Enjoy.

#3,689 ·
If they put out any updates they had better have seriously overhauled their testing methodology. I shudder like a DCT to think what all the warranty trips to dealers over MFT must have cost them, not to mention reputational damage from JD powers and CR and the like. Heads should have rolled.

That is why I suspect they are going to take any updates seriously slooooooowwwww this time.

#3,690 ·
We can only hope they've learned their lesson... if anything, more transparency towards customers would go a LONG way.

#3,691 ·
I hate to say but my 2013 Titanium with MFT works great....no problems....maybe Ford got all the bugs out with updates like MS does did with Vista by reinventing it and naming it Windows 7. This is only my opinion!

PS I don't have any DCT shudder either.....latest TSB fixed that.

#3,692 ·
Haven't logged onto FF in a few months, so apologies in advance for not being up-to-date on the current status of problems / fixes / TSBs.

Anyway, last week, this happened again:

[bash]

#3,694 ·
I've had this happen about 5 times since I've had the car. The dealer service dept said they were not aware of this problem & they could not replicate it.

If anyone is aware of a specific TSB for this, please post the info.

TiPilot - I appreciate the video of the occurrence so that I can show it to my service advisor.

#3,701 ·
Mft unlocked

Today we were lucky to unlock MFT direct configuration. We started from Rear view camera option. Switched it on and it works!!! (previously installed ofcause). Some days later we will continue our experiments with NAVY and other expensive options from Ford ))
In a couple of hours I will make some screenshots.

#3,708 ·
Hi, I found this thread from an Explorer forum post. I am trying to make an alternative to MFT or at least make MFT customization possible for the general user. If I may ask, how did you get this all to work? I've only managed to flash a copy of MFT but I have been unable to actually access any commands or alter anything. What tools would I need? I already have a device to connect from my computer to the OBDII port.

#3,710 ·
does anyone have a working Random play feature?

i dont remember it ever working, even after i updated to the latest MFT back in august last year. I tried renaming the songs in the folders to the same album name and it still wont play randomly. I just want it to play the music in the selected folder randomly.

#3,711 ·
I have my music on a flash drive (just dragged and dropped the music on the drive, nothing more) and the random works just fine. I use it regularly that way. I can't recall it ever not working either.

Presumably it sounds like you're trying to play from an MP3 player/ipod?

#3,713 ·
I heard that if your smartphone is connected to sync via bluetooth, and the airbag went off or fuel pump is turned off (please list if there are more) then ford sync will call 911 for you, how good is that? I mean how reliable is that? there is no fee, no contract the last thing you want is you are injured and relying on some service that's not realiable

what if your smartphone isn't connected? usually I don't connect because bluetooth will drain the battery faster, or maybe it's not true since I never connect it what's your experience in this?

#3,718 ·
Well-done site about MFT
http://www.syncsucks.com/
Some videos and stories here about MFT and how terrible it is.

I have an ongoing issue with the voice controls completely stopping, no mic input, no reboot or reset will fix. It just takes a few days to get over it. Dealer has no clue, as always. I don't have any saved POIs or even my home in there anymore. It's just a waste of time considering how may times I reboot this piece of crap. I can't afford the time to keep taking this mistake into the dealer for them to hold onto for a day and come back to me saying nothing is wrong or I don't know.

Anyone who gets in my car complements the system. Then I have to admit it was the worse purchase of my adult life and this thing doesn't have the features of a standard car radio - It can't even display the full title of the album or track, has no seek, and it is a complete and total driving distraction to do anything. Then i show them the voice controls... for navigation... and hilarity ensues.

Time to just post videos of all the BS. Some of the things it does is just sad.
My next video is going to be 10 minutes it takes to tell the navigation system to set a destination POI and how it branches off into a complicated decision tree completely missing the voice commands. I may append a video of the time it takes to get out of the car, boot up my PC, google maps, print, and take a hard copy with me. My guess is half the time, that is assuming MFT doesn't fail or freeze.

#3,720 ·
Sorry to hear MFT doesn't work for you. Try pushing Ford for APIM replacement, get in contact with IVT team, push them to help you as well. MFT has 5 years warranty, so you still have time.
Likely, I haven't had any problems with MFT, everything is working fine, occasionally it doesn't get my voice commands, but mainly because of my accent.

#3,726 ·
Ford is working on Android Auto™ integration in the future, though we can’t share timing or details yet. We will continue to work with Google, Apple, Microsoft and many other technology companies to continually advance our in-car connectivity systems.

Rebecca

#3,730 ·
Rebecca:

If Android auto proves not to be feasible on current hardware, or as an interim measure, it would be useful if MFT gave the driver as an option when they press the "off hook" button on the steering wheel to pass that on to the phone as the BT command in order to activate Google search (or or other app) and use it through the car's audio system. I imagine Siri works in a similar way via bluetooth?

#3,729 ·
I thought I would pipe in. I had one of the first of first Focus MK3 cars in our area. We got the car with Sync and Nav. The system was a compete PITA from day 1. But after the latest updates, the system is actually working pretty well. It still has an occasional hiccup when recognizing voice commands and an occasional odd behavior - but has gone from working 20% of the time to 95% of the time. So I'm pretty happy with how Ford turned this thing around. I think they still have some refinement to do (like the favorite keys on the steering wheel no longer programmable). But I think the system is quite usable now. I was even shocked at how well the voice commands work on the Nav system now. No more archaic syntax to input addresses.

Anyhow, with the multiple bad comments from people having issues I thought I'd give at least one positive comment and even a little praise for Ford attempting to clean up a good system gone bad. Now if they could just get all the hiccups worked on on the tranny...

Oh, and about the 911 feature. The way I look at it, it seems a nice feature to have. I mean I really don't need it to call 911 for me when there is a problem, but it would be cool if it did work in a serious accident where I were rendered unconscious and nobody was around. If it didn't work I'm no worse off, but if it does then this is great. So in this case it's nothing but a positive (not sure why people are knocking this feature).

#3,735 ·
<<snip>>
Oh, and about the 911 feature. The way I look at it, it seems a nice feature to have. I mean I really don't need it to call 911 for me when there is a problem, but it would be cool if it did work in a serious accident where I were rendered unconscious and nobody was around. If it didn't work I'm no worse off, but if it does then this is great. So in this case it's nothing but a positive (not sure why people are knocking this feature).
Well, that wasn't nice. Wrecked my mustang last Saturday. Sync system came on, stated it detected the airbags were deployed and tried to dial 911. But it failed due to I didn't have my bluetooth turned on. So had to call the old fashioned way.

Those interested in see a pic - I have a thread over at Mustang source.
http://forums.themustangsource.com/f726/i-dont-think-will-buff-out-531831/

#3,731 ·
Love MFT.

I use Sirius most of the time while driving. Once I get to the third set of presets of Sirius, is there any way to go back to the first set of presents without touching the screen? I know I can hit the M button to move from the first set to the second to the third but it will go to CD if I hit it while on the third set of presets.

Hope that makes sense.

#3,740 ·
Well, there are:

• Removed features [e.g. programmable buttons, song progress bar, wallpaper, clock DST offset for MFT with Nav…]
  • Misfeatures [useless WiFi, no autoclock set, useless calendar, floating ball compass]. A misfeature is where software meets the specification, but does nothing useful.
  • Bugs [Report of volume excursion with 3.6.2 this week over on Ford's MFT forums], clock not staying set.

There are also obvious missing features, like backup/restore settings, so it would be possible to preserve the customer's customized configuration across software or hardware upgrades.

Another missing feature is the promise of 'apps' for MFT, but since the current hardware struggles to run just the base software, I would not expect to see this except by QNX/CarPlay relaying the app from a phone.

I also see a basic management problem - there are no software defect tracking tools available to provide feedback to both Customers and Ford.

#3,741 ·
To which I'd add just a whole lot of random non-reproducible behavior. Forgets what you were listening to when you shut the car off. Forgets what you were listening to when you press the start button. Backup camera stays on screen for two or three miles after you shift to D. Backup camera sometimes just stops showing the guidance lines. UI hangs. UI just changes to another screen. Reboots. And on and on. Do I see all these things frequently? No. Should I *ever* see them? My wife has pretty much taken to driving with the radio off at all times. She's never even tested if SMS integration works with her new phone because she basically thinks anything on it is unlikely to work reliably enough to be worth messing with.

Glad some people are really happy with 3.6.2. Not us.

#3,744 ·
That is interesting. It wasn't deleted by the SMR mods so it seems like it could be true. Then again I would have thought that we would have heard more by now if others had gotten it. The person also doesn't say what has changed which would be very helpful. [poke]

I can believe that they released it and then decided that it wasn't a good idea to release it before a long weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.