Focus Fanatics Forum banner

DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread

1M views 4K replies 556 participants last post by  rczrider 
#1 ·
Well, I just scheduled an appointment on Monday to get my update for my 6-speed dual clutch. Seems like some dealers are willing to hand over the update (another poster on this board did), some dealers will still give the ole "its not a torque converter" mantra, and some dealers (the one I just called) don't know that there's a TSB out there, and when researched will come up with it. And the dealer I called fell into the latter (after I went to another dealer who gave me the mantra).

I'm happy with my DCT but I'm willing to see what this new update does for the transmission (in terms of smoothness and less hesitation). Hopefully, I'll have some noticeable difference. Did anyone else get an update? If so, how'd it work out for you. I'll let you know my thoughts after a good drive on Monday.

#2,865 ·
Hang in there... the new fixes seem to be working pretty good. I had mine done about 1500 miles ago and it's been great after a short break-in period. Make sure you are aware of the Technical Service Bulletin 14-0047 and print it out and bring it in to the dealer. They will probably already know about it but make sure to fully explain how bad your symptoms are... MOST dealers are sympathetic to our cause, especially when you are polite and knowledgeable when you go in. Good luck!

#2,866 ·
Long time reader...first time poster. Right this very minute, my '12 Focus Ti is in the dealer. They called and said I need a new clutch. It only has 27,000 miles on it! Yikes.

I asked what they think caused the issue. She said she wasn't sure and that she would call me back. That was 5 hours ago.

I had it in for service in mid-March. They re-programmed the DCT. It was great for a couple weeks. Then the slip/shudder came back. It got so bad that my Wife and kids were almost hit by another car when crossing an intersection!

I've been a long time Ford owner. This is the first one I regret buying. Hopefully the new clutch fix lasts. However, it appears other people are seeing continued problems.

It this keeps up I might be forced to trade it in.

#2,867 ·
Just keep in mind that the latest revision to the fix is called TSB 14-0047 and just came out in March of this year. Links to the actual service bulletin can be found in this thread and details what they are supposed to do to repair it. When you get your receipt, hopefully it will be completely itemized with all the parts and procedures listed and you can compare it to the service bulletin... My '13 had hers done at 18,000 miles. The dealer tried the new programming first but called me and said it didn't fix it and they were doing the whole repair. On yours, it sounds like it must have helped temporarily but once the seals go, then the clutch packs get comtaminated and start slipping. It's been 1500 miles since mine and is working great so far, I think they have come a long way in resolving this. This is also covered under the 5/60k drivetrain warranty, so don't worry about 3/36 for this issue.

#2,868 ·
Thanks for the info. I know I'm covered by the 5/60k powertrain. That's re-assuring. I am more concerned about it slipping while pulling out into traffic. (I live along a busy highway with no stop lights. Making left turns during rush hour can be tricky.)

To be fair, the service department at Fugate have been good. They listened to what's wrong and proceeded with repairs. No comments like "That's just how it drives." I'm very pleased with that.

I'll post my repair report when I receive it. Hopefully this will do the trick. I'm glad yours worked out so far.

Has Ford commented on what the overall problem is? Poorly set shift points and faulty seals?

#2,870 ·
Ok...so here's my update.

Notes on the invoice:
"Road test, confirmed shudder on acceleration. Oasis-TSB 140047. Reprogrammed PCM and TCM. Re-road test, Maximum RPM difference 494. Found output shaft seals leaking. Replaced seals and cleaned clutch as per TSB. Re-road test. No shudder felt at this time."

TSB was 140047D. They have a number of TSB's that are 140047 (the service writer was showing me). They used "D" for my car.

I've had the car back less than a week now. What a big difference. There is no more shuddering on take off or when letting my foot off the gas to let the car move up without stepping on gas (when I'm stuck in bumper to bumper traffic). Still has a hesitation, though when going from 2nd to 3rd at slower speeds. But definitely, an overall improvement.

#2,871 ·
Glad to hear it, when running properly it is the quickest, most economical sporty car I ever drove.

On another note though, I have read a lot of posts from people who said that Ford says a shudder on low speed take offs is normal.

If its normal, I wonder what has changed to make it go away on your vehicle. (or maybe it was 'not' normal and the previous explanations were wrong)

#2,882 ·
My focus is in for the 2nd time for the clutches to be replaced. My extended warranty doesn't cover fluids and the dealer is telling me the tranny needs 4 quarts of fluid plus an additive which totals to $150. I thought this was a dry clutch....does 4 quarts sound right for the dct??

#2,883 ·
Ya, that doesn't sound right unless they are trying to charge you for the brake cleaner they use in the process? It only takes 1.9 quarts of dual clutch transmission fluid to fill. It should be right in your owners manual, don't let them charge you for twice the fluid you need.

#2,891 ·
I find that a bit odd. I am not sure what it says about their confidence in clutches replaced prior to 02/01. Makes me wonder if something changed again recently. In any event, why screw the customers that had work done prior to 02/01?

#2,894 ·
aaron.b is mentioning an extended warranty NOT from Ford.

That's the same as walking in and paying for the repair out of pocket for all practical purposes.

Warranting the clutches for 2 yr., unlimited miles after a paid repair sounds like a decent repair warranty. (any comments on what "should" be covered aside)

#2,899 ·
Depending on how bad the stuttering is, that just sounds like a DCT acting like it's supposed to... but it doesn't upshift or downshift? Sometimes I really have to give it the beans to get the car to downshift when accelerating. Usually no issues upshifting, though.

#2,902 ·
There are other threads about how to make the car more responsive... You can tape up the gap in the air intake (5 minute driveability fix, I did it personally), run premium fuel (I do, it really helps) and since the transmission is always learning/adapting you simply need to jump on it on a fairly regular basis... in my commute I have metered red light freeway entrances so that gives me opportunities to try the good ol' 0-60 by flooring it and keeping it floored for a good 5+ seconds... those are some of the best 5 second periods of my day. ;)

#2,903 ·
Agreed. I've actually installed a K&N drop in filter, done the snorkel delete, and checked my air intake gap (which was fine, basically no gap). I also run premium fuel now. All of this did make the car more responsive.

Oh, and I completely agree about flooring it. [twothumbs] I always get stopped at the light were I have to turn left onto the freeway on ramp. Most days I will do exactly as you do, and I enjoy it just as much. [:)]

#2,904 ·
+1 more on the premium comment. I run 87 in the winter, but in the summer it seems like it really makes a difference to use at least mid-grade.

#2,906 ·
Well my clutches and seals have now been replaced for the 2nd time. Like I said earlier I've exceeded mileage for the factory ford warranty and my extended warranty covered the job minus the cost of fluids. I was told that the job calls for 4 quarts of transmission fluid and the additive so this cost me about $160. When I brought up the dct oil capacity being 1.9 quarts the service writer told me the job calls for 4 quarts to flush the system of contaminated stuff. Does this sound right?

Also he told me that as of January 1, 2014. Any ford part they install is warranted for 2 years with unlimited mileage.

#2,907 ·
Hmm, not sure about needing to "flush" the fluid but maybe that's true that Ford calls for it to give you the warranty on the parts for two years...which I had heard about on other threads... I would ask about needing to flush that fluid, it's essentially modified gear oil for a manual transmission. It comes across as a money grab to me, you might want to call another dealer and ask about the repair and what they would charge with your extra warranty, even if they're are too far away to actually go there... best of luck to you and let us know what you find out.

#2,908 ·
Just curious. I know the bumper to bumper is 3 years and powertrain is 5. Since the powertrain is 5 years and what seems to be the issue is that a seal in the transmission is failing and letting oil get onto the clutch wouldnt that fall under powertrain warranty? I know the clutch once the bumper to bumper is over isnt covered under the powertrain terms but I read that seals are.

#2,910 ·
The manual (standard) clutch isn't covered after 12k / 1 year (wear item - someone correct me if I'm wrong), but the automatic clutch kit IS covered under all warranties (bumper to bumper, powertrain, and ESP). When I had my clutches and seals replaced at 62k (ESP), I didn't have to pay for any transmission fluid. They even waived my $50 ESP deductible since I had been having issues since 14k miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.