Focus Fanatics Forum banner

SPI 8v Dies. Threw a Rod

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  fokuzx3 
#1 ·
My engine threw a rod on start up a few weeks ago. I was crushed. 92000 miles. There is a reason I thought I should write about this. I've always taken the best care. Regular fluid changes. Always the best for your baby. Everything and anything good I could have done I did. Well the day it happened I was picking up a few things at Wal-mart. When I got back to my car and started it. It sounded like 10 hammers beating on the engine. I take it to Ford they said while attempting to start the car it threw a Rod. I was asked if I felt anything different. Any problems before it blew. Thinking about it there were somethings I remember. that happened over time not all of a sudden 1) Upon starting It would over rev. Like it was just doing to many RPM'S on a cold start. It would only be on startup and would normalize after 2 or 3 seconds. 2) At times it would bog down Like someone pulled a few plug wires out. Again it would go back to normal after a few seconds. As time went on it happened a few more time this time a little more time would go by. But again it would go back to normal and would work great. I guess what I'm saying is we love our cars and know every knock, rumble, & wine, that our cars make. Even the smallest change could be a disaster in the making. Luckly I carried mechanical brake down coverage since 2000 and they fixed me up. Replaced the engine with a 20,000 mile engine, all fluids and Six days of car rental. Ford did my fuel pump recall. She's good as new. I feared the worse and was very lucky I was covered. Next time I won't be so I'm prepearing now if that time comes again. Focus Rules.Focus Reborn

See less See more
#2 ·
How hard did you run your car? I am not saying you abused it or anything but I just want to know if it was a mechanical or driver error. I have givin my car a good bit abuse throughout the years and I will soon be at 80,000, so if you could tell us what are your driving conditions like city/highway, weather conditions dry/hot or cold/wet or anything inbetween. Just list the factors that could have been the result of what happened.

Thanks
Jon

#3 ·
This don't surprize me. Let's see in a year and a half I threw two wheel bearings both were rear passenger side, had to replace my ENTIRE brake system from the booster to the rear wheel cylinder, My ignition lock Cylinder (which was a first for me EVER.), Caught My car on Fire (that was my bad...), Horn went out, ECU reflashed my chip, and now ford says our rear doors are Jacked up... I'm seriously debating a V-8 swap... [:(!]

#4 ·
Dont feel GOLDX about 4 months ago I threw a rod in my SE. I was at light, car in neutral, got ready to pull of and........BANG!!!. I had to get a used engine, with labor still ran me about 2k. My finance company picked up the bill and just tacked it on to my car not, now I pay about 50 extra bucks a month on my car note

#6 ·
More than likely it's the con rod bolts. They might not enough tensile streangth, or can't handle the heat and vibration, or their shear streagth's too low. Either way, they suck.

It could also be the bearings. That would be possible given the milage on your ride. Fords
aren't well known for having a long lifespan. That's why the resale value SUCKS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.