Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Instrument Cluster Light Bulbs

58K views 30 replies 21 participants last post by  Mikey95hd 
#1 ·
Howdy,

Well, slowly but surely the light bulbs for my instrument cluster have been burning out. First it was the bulb for the odometer, then it was the bulb for the left side of the cluster and, finally, the last one on the right side of the cluster burned out. I was making due with the matter as long as I could see how fast I was going. Now, at night, I am unable to do even that. So, it's time to change the bulbs. The only problem is I don't know what bulbs I need no do I know how to disassemble the instrument cluster panel.

Here's the skinny - 2001 Ford Focus ZX3.

Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

#2 ·
Its real easy acutaly. The cluster is held in by the plastic surround which has 3 7mm bolts in the top of it. Undo those bolts then "snap" the bezel out of the dash by gently pulling on it. Then there are 4 7mm bolts holding the cluster into the dash, the bolts are in each corner of the cluster. Lastly the wires unplug from the back of the cluster by fliping the black tap over (you'll understand it when you see it). Then all the bulbs backs you be exposed. The bulbs simply twist loose then you pull them out.

The small bulbs are #74 bulbs and the large ones for the tach and speedo are #198 bulbs. You can get replacements for them at any major auto parts store.

#27 ·
Thanks for the post, both of the larger bulbs were burned out and could not see anything at night. I got the 7 screws and bezel out, but got stuck trying to disconnect the main wire harness, and came here for the answer...love this forum. I think the black lever on the back moves from left to right to release...wish I had taken some photos. Never seen a lever like that before.

#6 ·
i think all zx3's did, but some sedans didn't. as for this, it took me about 20 minutes from start to finish to do the swap when one of mine went. soooooo easy

#8 ·
Kudos to the boys at Focus Fanatics!

Instrument cluster light replacement is a success! Though, the little buggers were a PITA to get out and put back in. On top of that, the little bulbs were difficult to remove from their little holders.

Very easy and made even moreso with the help you guys offered.

Many, many thanks!

#11 ·
Well, obviously, '07 has to be different. I have 5 bulbs that all look the same. Took 1 of them with me to Advance Auto and looked like they would match up with the #74 bulbs. Oh no, they are not the same! The #74's are slightly fatter. They fit into their little sockets but spreads them out slightly and will not fit into the circuit board. Sooo... what size are these bulbs? Do I have to resort to going to the dealer and pay, what... $5-10 per bulb???

#13 ·
I believe the correct size you need is #37. I just tried replacing my HVAC lights with some new #74 bulbs and had the same problem with the base spreading open a little and you couldn't push it back together. I looked around and saw the #37 bulb as a cross reference. I don't know if it's physically smaller or not but I'm going to check the auto part store and see if they carry these.

#14 ·
had to change my odometer bulb today, took about 20 mins to get the cluster in and out. I used a small pair of needle nose pliers to twist the bulb socket out. The trick was figuring out how to loosen that black clip holding the connector in...once I figured that out, piece of cake

#15 ·
I know its an old thread, but did anyone figure out what bulbs fit the 07? As mentioned above, 74 is too bulky. I also tried 37s and they also spread the fitting too much to fit back into the socket. Specifically, im changing two bulbs in the environmental air conditioning panel... 2007 ZXW.

#17 ·
#18 ·
Sorry this is so old, but to replace my 2000's dash lights, just follow the instructions, pop out the old lights, put in new blue leds (74 and 198) and re install?
Will the blue leds shine blue then on my numbers? Thanks for the help guys. Any pics of this done by anyone?

#19 ·
i tried putting blue LEDs in my dashboard but it didnt turn out as i expected. the numbers light up a really dim greenish blue color and everything has a blue outline on it. it doesnt actually turn everything blue because of the green tint that was already in the dashboard. im gonna try green ones next and see how that goes.

#25 ·
Hey all, I'm new to the forum and have just bought a 2007 ZX3 SE with the issue above. Only it's not only my instrument cluster's backlights that are out, it is also all my centre console lighting - i.e. car audio sys., A/C, fan,... etc that is without a backlight. Is this likely to be a related issue or just coincidence and I need to fix those backlights too?

Also, I found downloadable Owners manuals for my 07 here, useful if like me, the previous owner didnt include this in the sale :(
http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conte...wnerGuidePage&year=2007&make=Ford&model=Focus

Thanks for any and all help,
Kiwi

#28 ·
So is it really as simple as sanding the numbers down? Ive been thinking about replacing all my gauge lights with LEDs since they are so much brighter and have that "snappiness". Just not sure how much of a chore pulling the physical bulb is. I didn't like the fact that my '04 didnt have a tac so I pulled a junkyard cluster off a stick and it works like a dream. Just the bulbs are so dim..

#29 · (Edited)
Did you replace the stock bulbs for the instrument cluster with the LED's? If you did are they a lot brighter? My cluster lights are really dim, and the odometer doesn't light at all, so thinking there are a few lights that are out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.