Focus Fanatics Forum banner

AEM wideband to xcal3 question

77K views 115 replies 44 participants last post by  1turbofocus 
#1 ·
Tom said to make a post on here. I need to know where to get the firewire cable or if its something i can get local. and how to wire it to the xcal3

#65 ·
Does anyone need a cable? i bought a 6' firewire to firewire and cut it in half.

Ive done all the meter work to single out the leads we need and heat shrinked off the rest.

Mine didnt have a yellow it looks more orange or pink but the same Ch2 is red as the BC_ZX3 diagrahm.

shoot me a PM if you need it i can drop it in the mail in the next couple days.

#66 ·
Wow this is really helpfull I would've figured it out after fiddling with it forever. Makes everything alot easier for those of us that haven't done it before!

#67 ·
Got my aem a/f gauge working and just want to ask if my idel number are good

13.7 to 14.5 and driving the number are still the same might go to 15 sometime????

Rob

#69 ·
Been working with a guy at work who does car tuning and I ask is 14.7 good for a tune and he told me 14.7 is right on the edge of the motor letting go and you should be looking at 13's

#74 ·
^^ yeah that's what happens to my DD's one thing leads to another next thing you know it has a vortech kit on it or a swapped Cobra motor, maybe i can manage to leave the f150 stock.

#75 ·
ok im going to attemt one of these cables randy needs it for my data logging if anyone still have an extra for the sct and aem let me know i will reemburse or something. toher then that can u rigth where it plugs into the guage just tap about 3 -4 inches down in the white area?

#79 ·
I was looking at that header. It is nice because it has the 2 O2 bungs on the collector. This will be perfect for a Front O2 and Wideband O2. My POS header from OBX had the bungs on the two Ys(giving a reading from 2 cylinders only) so I ended up welding them shut and putting new bungs in the collector to get accurate readings from all 4 cylinders.

The wide band O2 just screws into one of the O2 bungs then run the cable through your firewall to your inside and mount it. Its easy. You will need a tune to delete your rear O2. Or you can buy a O2 cheat. My buddy makes and sells them.

I have been actually debating going to that header but since I am going turbo soon I should just wait. I would like to get the 2 1/2 inch exhaust but I would need an adapter to connect it to my 2" flex pipe so I can use it now and then connect it to the turbo manifold when I go turbo and get 2 1/2 all the way.

#80 ·
Well, once you get the header and the wideband all connected and set up and pulled through the firewall and ready to go, then what must you do in order to get a datalog to send to Tom? Do you just plug in to the wideband itself? Or is it more complicated than that?

I'll hopefully be getting my header install tomorrow. So, after that, I'll for sure get the tune.

Will my car run fair enough between having the header put on and uploading a tune?

#82 ·
You will need the data cable that connects your SCT tuner that you get with a Tom tune to your wide band. The cable has a IEE1394 end to connect to the SCT and 4 wires on the other end. you only need one wire to connect your wide band to the cable. There are 2 data wires I believe I used the White one which is data 1. Then the SCT can get the data from the wide band. After you get the SCT device you need to download the software - get version Live Link 6.5 for logging. To load the Tunes you need the SCT updater software. When you first get going Tom will log into your laptop and setup what to log. Once you do it once its easy.

Joe

#81 ·
DoomsdayFAN;4145462 Will my car run fair enough between having the header put on and uploading a tune?[/QUOTE said:
Yes it will run fine. It may bog when you take off from a start. I know mine did. No big deal though.

#84 ·
with livelink open go to , commands , analog equation, then to the drop down on the right in the box that showed up , choose your wide band out of the list then hit apply , you should then see the close to correct to matching your gauge

Adjust if the wide band and logged AF do not match

Tom

#85 ·
I have an AutoMeter Ultra lite AFR 4378. The AEM analog equation settings do not work with it. Through much trial and error and eventually videotaping the LiveLink reading on my laptop right next to the gauge for comparison, I found the correct setting.

Anyone else using an autometer AFR gauge use (v*1.5)+10

#91 ·
Hey i got a question about the wiring from the fire wire, does it really matter what wire you use??? I mean think about it...the wire from the gauge matters but to the fire wire its getting plugged into the xcal which has 6 pins still touching 6 pins on the xcal, so does it matter jw from the write it looks like i have exact same colors just different brand...you should have seen the guys face when i bought the wire and he offered the extended warrenty, i said that i would he cutting it in half and said no, his face turned white and was like c c cutting it in half, i said yup and he didnt even ask why so i never told lol

#92 ·
Weird thing happened to me when I hooked mine up today. I used the orange wire because I'm weird about numbers and wanted the first input into the XCAL to be input #1. Well, it showed up as number 2 on the XCAL. It logs fine, but it was just a bit confusing when I went to set it up as analog 1 and it read a flat 10. As soon as I set it up as analog 2 (which should have been the red wire) it worked fine. [dunno]

Also, for anyone wondering how to hook up a 2nd 02 sensor on an aftermarket header, I go into explicit detail here: [thumb]

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294839

#93 ·
This is such a informative post, I had to register and show OP my appreciation.
One question tho, Lets say I'm using #3 on IEEE-1394 connector for analog 1. Do I need to ground #4 which is analog 1 grnd? Or I don't have to since its being grounded at OBD port by SCT?

Here is the link that says I should ground the analog 1 grnd.
http://www.morepowertuning.com/AEManalogSCT

I just wanted to make sure which is the right way.
Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.