Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Mid-ohio Spec focus race Video

4K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  eventerke 
#1 ·
This is from a Matt Marks post and from his in car video from the Spec Foc race at the Mid-ohio Nationals. Thought some of you Spec Focus hopefuls might enjoy.

All,

Finally uploaded my video of the 1st three laps of the Championship race. Shows from the green flag through lap 3 where there was a nice punt (er...pass) for P2. Others have commented on this elsewhere on this forum and on youtube regarding the incident, but here's the wide angle perspective of what happened. As I said in the youtube page, check the other videos and make your own judgements.

Otherwise, enjoy some cool Spec Focus video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Puc8nkpzUmU

Black Car - Craig Capaldi
Yellow Car - Lowell Marx
Red Car - Jack Baruth
Video car-Matt marks

#3 ·
That was awesome...

Foci look like they have trouble in "Madness" though. Of course, they were dicing it pretty well.

Cool video! [thumb]

#18 ·
That's why I left my e-brake functional = reduces understeer on tight slow corners[woot]

#9 ·
Money. Then maybe some more money.

Figure 8-12k for a fully prepped race car with all the safety gear. Then another 1-2k for your personal safey gear. Track fees are probably $500 weekend plus gas/tires/brake pads. You need a tow vehicle and trailer. And probably 8-12 weekends to get your competition license.

#8 ·
"he gets in my way......i put em in the wall!!!"----lol love that commercial

That red driver should have heeded way to the car in front going into that last corner in the vid. The car in front should have let him pass long before.....blame them both.

Wish I could turn my DD into a race breed lapping machine like one of those!!!

#16 ·
Does NASA accept sign-offs and run group designations from other organizations, or at least from instructors that instruct NASA as well?
I'm seriously thinking about working towards a once-a-year race rental (maybe treat myself to the VIR weekend), running my car in HPDE's to work my way up.
Just wondering if I need to concentrate my experience in NASA events (my local club puts on great track events).

#17 ·
I do instruct with NASA Mid-Atlantic, though I'm not officially a "NASA Instructor". My experience has been that they will assess your experience and the organization(s) that you've run with in order to place you in a correct run group. It will be pretty apparent to the instructor if you've been placed in group 2, but belong in group 4. They'll get it straightened out in a couple of sessions. When in doubt, shoot the regions Chief Instructor a note ahead of time, and he'll give you a feel for where he thinks you should be classified. If you disagree - you can dialogue with him before the event.

Mid-Atlantic is running 3 or 4 weekends at VIR in 2008 -all full course [clap] so you'd have lots of opportunity to excersize your car. Also should be some CMP dates with the Southeast region as well.

When you're ready, the NASA Comp School is the best $300 you'll spend (ever!) on your car. It is truly mind-opening about what it takes to race, and how much you can make the car do that you never thought possible.

I'll be at VIR with my SF car (#111) in February, so hopefully we'll see you there.

#20 ·
The other easy/quick way to get licensed is to do the SCCA race school with your local region or Wash. DC region at Summit Point. You'll still need to come up with a car (many local racers rent theirs out), but they will take anyone with or without track experience, and at the end the weekend - presuming you don't hit anyone *too* hard, you'll have an SCCA license that NASA will honor. Most regions do a spring and a fall school. Cost is also around $350 or so.

For a rental figure between $750 and $3000 for a weekend depending on what type of car you're going to rent and what you're looking for (just a car, full trackside support, strippers and trophy girls!?!) and what you agree upon regarding damage. [driving]

Of course, a medical form (physical exam) is needed for either NASA or SCCA licensing. NASA is better as you don't get the "fingers". [bootyshak]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.