Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 Focus Custom Ram Air How-To

503K views 429 replies 116 participants last post by  Ruby Red Leo 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've always been the type to have pride in the fact that I do my own work. And with that sometimes comes a better product. I knew I wanted an intake on my new Focus. I wanted a K&N filter. And I wanted it to be functional without being too "ricey", or have too much over-powering intake noise. So this is what I have been dreaming about the last few months.

Start by jumping on the net, or head to your local auto parts store, and order Gates part #22274. What you get is a 3" inside diameter, right angle heater hose. With very little trimming, it becomes the perfect fit! It runs about $37. I found mine for $23 on Amazon shipped!

While you're waiting for that to come in. Remove your airbox, along with the resonator you'll find under it bolted to the frame. I find it easiest to keep the MAF sensor attached to the box, and remove the hose clamp and wire harness to the MAF sensor.

Remove the front air dam plate by pushing it out back towards the engine bay. You can take your time to push each snap out of the way. Or just use a little extra force and it pops right out. I found this best. :)

I laid out a line across the center of each opening, and spaced out each hole I wanted to drill. Then over to drill the holes.

Finished. Of course you can drill your holes any way you like. I was going for a clean, not too obvious look while maintaining good airflow.

This is the area you want to run the hose through. It's a tight squeeze, so it will take some suggesting.

Should look like this once it's in place. Note, at this time the hose is uncut. What a nice fit eh! :)

Here's one of what she looks like from the top. (uncut)

From the first hose picture you'll notice it runs on a bit of an angle to the right. Measure back 2 inches, and cut a notch to act as a scoop. I used just a simple straight razor blade.

Here's a fun part. Remember that factory airbox we removed? Yeah well to buy one new it runs about $130. But that's ok, cause in a couple years people will be throwing them away when they buy their CAI. So you'll be able to pick on up down the road if you want to go back. But today we're going to drill a 3 1/2" hole in it! :) Get out your 3 1/2" hole saw, and cut a hole as close to the old resonator hole as possible. Always clean up your cut edges too! :)

Now put the box back in, and fully seat it in place. You want to adjust the hose so it feels relaxed. Then mark a line around the hose about a 1/4" from the bottom of the box. Remove the box, and cut the marked line.

After the hose is all cut. Reinstall your freshly drilled air dam plate, and then reinstall the hose. It may take a couple times of replacing the airbox to get the hose in the relaxed state again so you can make your bracket. I used 3/4" by 1/8" aluminum bar I get from the hardware store. While you're at the hardware store, pick up a nice stainless steel 3" hose clamp! My clamp looked like this when I was done. Depending on how you drilled your 3 1/2" hole in your airbox, yours may look different. You're going to use the hole that the resonator was using.

Now bolt your bracket in place, and install your hose clamp. BEAUTIFUL! Nice work! You're almost done!

Put your airbox back in, and adjust your hose to fit snugly in place.

Put your air filter back in, and bolt the air box cover back on. I chose to use a Outerwears pre-filter with this setup to prevent any water from getting in the engine. It also keeps bugs out of your pleats. Start her up and enjoy! Maybe roll her out on the driveway and give her a wash, cause you know you're going to want to go for a drive. :)

A little custom vinyl work to show off the Griffin Ram Air mod. :)

Now I know everyone is going to ask HOW DOES IT SOUND?!?!?! CLEAN! Not ricey at all! Not even as aggressive as a regular CAI. It has a very mellow throaty growl to it at WOT. However, which I like, it doesn't over power the engine note with LOUD intake noise. If you like LOUD intake noise, this won't cut it. If you like to hear your engine and intake compliment each other, this is it baby!

Audio: http://youtu.be/bh2LVJJNXQg

Also, I can hear people already complaining about dirt and water, etc etc. Easy fix. Of which I don't have pictured because it is still on order in the mail. Outerwears Pre-filters! With hydrophobic water shield. Either have one custom made for your filter, or hop on eBay and pick up one for an ATV and just slap it on the top side of your hose before it enters the box. I'll post pictures when I get mine in. And what about puddles and hydro-lock and all that CAI intake worries.... You're in luck. By leaving your existing factory pipes, they will act as your vacuum bypass. Aren't you smart! All your friends are going to love you! ;)

See less See more
#295 ·
Axis 17x7.5 from Tire Rack

#296 ·
Saw someone else ask without an answer. How do we S model drivers do this mod? I think the triangle is a solid piece on my car. I didn't see what looked like a removable air dam.

Edit: would this still be a beneficial mod with the air box removed?

#297 ·
"S" models are one piece yes. You'll have to buy and SE model grille, or drill holes/cut out the one you have.

Removing the air box completely would be worse than leaving it alone, as your engine will just recirculate hot air.

#299 ·
The part number for just the "triangles" alone is floating around here somewhere. You may be able to snag one off someone here that upgraded. But they run about $54 new from what I remember.

#302 ·
Mod to New Mission Intake

Obtained new scoop and installed. Put screening on it also. Had too trim the rubber hose shorter to get it to fit. Because it's premade couldn't get it perfect. The scoop on the right side is the one I used, it had the hole offset.

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj506/mustang1958/20130409_171243_zps3a4babf6.jpg

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj506/mustang1958/20130409_171350_zps6dea1644.jpg

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj506/mustang1958/20130405_132335_zps2f7770d5.jpg

#303 ·
Obtained new scoop and installed. Put screening on it also. Had too trim the rubber hose shorter to get it to fit. Because it's premade couldn't get it perfect. The scoop on the right side is the one I used, it had the hole offset.
VERY nice! [thumb]

#309 ·
If you have the exact hose that New Mission listed it fits perfectly. The scoop is 3".

#310 ·
Good deal, that is the one I have.

Second, is anyone having issues downloading the catalog?

#311 ·
Installed my newmission intake today. Still need to get the funnel for it.

Also, still need to file the cuts in the front but the intake is awesome. I love the throttle responce and the sound is perfect. Louder then stock but without the drone you get with the short ram intakes. Highly recommend doing this to your car.

#331 ·
Perfect fit for New Mission Ram Air Mod!!

Dont know if somebody already mentioned this part to use for the air scoop behind the bumper for the mod, but it fits PERFECT!! I found it on Amazon alot cheaper than the racing websites had them priced. It's only $16.99 and here is the product description.

BB7009 Plastic Single Bumper Duct 5"H x 9 3/4"W x 5 1/2"D For 3" Duct Hose.

And this link should take you right to it on the website.

http://www.amazon.com/BB7009-Plastic-Single-Bumper-Duct/dp/B005FGQLU2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.