Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Is this really normal?

25K views 237 replies 30 participants last post by  FordService 
#1 · (Edited)
So my 2012 Focus has been making weird noises from the transmission recently as well as shifting weird. I have taken it to two separate dealers and they have both said "Ford states that is normal operational sounds". Now I have attached some videos for you to watch and more importantly listen to. The sounds the car is making sound absolutely horrible like metal against metal or gravel being ground into something. It really upsets me that Ford doesn't seem to care because this car cost so much; after all I am a college student and don't make a lot of money right now :( Is this a normal sound? Should I contact the BBB or something? because Ford seems to not care about the issue!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5693999/121.mov

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5693999/1.mov

Any help is appreciated!

#2 ·
Use the search function of this website...there are TONS of threads dealing with this and i think it is pointless to start another.

Keep bringing it to the dealer and be stern about it, then if the issue is not fixed research how to escalate the problem. The dealer should fix it just be very pushy

#4 ·
I've read through a lot of them but most of them discuss software updates that my vehicle already has according to both dealers. I'm 18 and really don't have anyone to help me with this type of stuff so I was just trying to get some advice of what to do. I guess I will try to call the Ford Customer Service hotline again but they just "help me" by setting up an appointment with the dealer.

#6 ·
There really are a lot of threads on this, if you browse through them you should see some Ford Representatives in some of them who can escalate the problem with the dealerships. This has had to be done a few times due to the dealerships not fixing the problems. I suggest you contact one of them so they can help you instead of that hotline.

#9 ·
So my 2012 Focus has been making weird noises from the transmission recently as well as shifting weird...
Welcome to the boards, snow12. I’m available to help by escalating this to the customer service manager for your region. So I can lend a hand, please send me a PM with your VIN, full name, best daytime phone number, dealer name/state, and approximate mileage.

...Keep bringing it to the dealer and be stern about it, then if the issue is not fixed research how to escalate the problem...
...if you browse through them you should see some Ford Representatives in some of them who can escalate the problem with the dealerships...
e30og & sleepyboy,

This is some great advice. [:)]

Cory

#13 ·
Lets hope

I PMed the Ford Customer Service person who has arranged for me to receive a call. I don't think a person should have to do this to get a vehicle fixed but I guess thats how Ford works [werd]. I am honestly not gonna get my hopes up though because the dealer networks in my area is notoriously bad. To give you an example the Chevy devision of one the the big networks recently called the police on a customer because they sold the car to him for too low of a price. [offtopic] Thanks for all the replies everyone! [ffrocks] I wish would have found these forums before buying the car because with all the information here I would definitely have made a different decision. [vommit]

#16 ·
I PMed the Ford Customer Service person who has arranged for me to receive a call. I don't think a person should have to do this to get a vehicle fixed but I guess thats how Ford works [werd]. I am honestly not gonna get my hopes up though because the dealer networks in my area is notoriously bad. To give you an example the Chevy devision of one the the big networks recently called the police on a customer because they sold the car to him for too low of a price. [offtopic] Thanks for all the replies everyone! [ffrocks] I wish would have found these forums before buying the car because with all the information here I would definitely have made a different decision. [vommit]
I would love to hear the story behind that one. Called the police??? I had to sign a signature pad confirming the price wouldn't, couldn't be altered by the dealer

#18 ·
Lemon Law?

So I have been doing research about what to do if the transmission issues keep occurring one of them being the lemon law. I went to talk to a friend that knows a little about this stuff and from what I can tell according to NC lemon law guidelines if the fix has been attempted 4 times and the issue is not fixed the manufacturer must replace the car or buy it back. Of course I don't want to have to go through the whole process but I will if I have to. I just wanted to know if anyone had been through a lemon law case?

#35 ·
So my 2012 Focus has been making weird noises from the transmission recently as well as shifting weird. I have taken it to two separate dealers and they have both said "Ford states that is normal operational sounds". Now I have attached some videos for you to watch and more importantly listen to. The sounds the car is making sound absolutely horrible like metal against metal or gravel being ground into something. It really upsets me that Ford doesn't seem to care because this car cost me so much; after all I am a college student and don't make a lot of money right now :( Is this a normal sound? Should I contact the BBB or something? because Ford seems to not care about the issue!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5693999/121.mov

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5693999/1.mov

Any help is appreciated!
Whats the mileage on your car? Built date? How often does it happen?

#36 ·
I am not sure of the build date but I purchased it in early September and was told it was new on the lot so I would venture to say august or september [scratch] Ill have to check to make sure. The mileage is currently around 7700 miles. As far as when it does it...all of the time. There is rarely a shift when it does not make the noise. Very easy to replicate but whenever the stealer-ship gets a hold of it the sound mysteriously goes away...until I get into the car.

#41 ·
Did You check your built date? The New replacement one doest have a bit of a rattle in the dash but only when its really cold once the car warms up it stops. I really dont want to go back to the dealer for that. I will wait till the 1st oil change and I will go to a different dealer to see of they can solve it.

#43 ·
My build date is 07/12!

Careful for what you wish for........http://applequalitycomplaints.blogspot.com/

Apple is not all sugar and spice and all things nice.
I guess there is always bad seeds! But really someone complaining about fraudulent charges from iTunes should know that you always contact your card issuer and do a chargeback. They will also give you a new card and account number.

#72 ·
Just some advice to Snow12 and others. From my experience, if you give up, you lose. I have found if you are right about something, particularly a consumer item like a car, you will get your situation resolved. One must be calm, able to listen, be persistent and have preservereness. It is hard to have a car that you have spent a lot of money on and stay cool when you feel you are being ignored and not getting the service you feel you should have performed. I have monitored these emails regarding trans issues and I am convinced that there is some software issue and some cars have oil leaks in their clutches. I am also convinced that Ford does not have the TSB finalized for these cars to fix the software. Just a theory. I believe there will be resolution for this issue too. I would hang in there. Keep in contact with your dealer and Cory. Doing nothing and being mad helps no one.

2008 Ford Focus

#78 ·
Call FORD investor relations or the CEO's office and complain. Most corporations have teams to handle these calls and get you some resolution.

#79 ·
I have a fun idea for warning others about the MK3 transmission and/or to get my dealership's attention to fix my own, but I feel like it's illegal.[scratch]

#94 ·
Snow! Feel free to check a look at roughly the first half of my story here:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292311

The CSM eventually stops answering your calls, (I guess they have callerID) they stop returning your messages and nothing really gets done. I took mine in to the dealership about 2 months ago talking about TSB 11-12-13, and they checked my clutches etc. They said no oil was leaking, but the clutch was shredded so they replaced it with a new one. A week later the grinding was back, and still persists.

I guess my only option now is to write a formal complaint to Ford so that I can go ahead with the Lemon Law proceedings. Unless someone has another idea?

Also I should note that the 11-12-13 TSB where they replace your clutch and seals has worked for some and not worked for some to resolve the issue, so you may want to give that a go.

#95 ·
Yeah depending on your state go ahead and send that letter because many require it! I am definitely hoping that I don't have to go through the lemon law process but I am prepared to if needed. What I would recommend is going ahead and starting the BBB claim process as it cost nothing and will accomplish the same thing for you. Of course if you feel more comfortable you can always hire a lawyer. Good Luck, it really sucks to such a large company treat people this way!

Oh and my dealer won't do the TSB because "nothing is wrong with the car" What a joke

#100 · (Edited)
I think there is something bigger going on here. My dealer is awesome. The people there are great and all the service writers (I think thats what they are called) are excellent. I have a sneaking suspicion that what is going on is that Ford is telling the dealers NOT to replace the parts because if they do Fords not gonna pay.

When I talk the them about the problem it almost seems like they are reading off of a script where as when I asked about something else they seemed more "open" about discussing and ultimately fixing it.

I would trade but in only 6 months the car has lost 7,000 of its value and there are literally a ton of used ones in my area which should make a statement of its own; why are there so many used 2012 Foci on the market? These aren't the enterprise ones either! These are SEL and Titanium ones that are loaded! I think more people are having problems than most of us think, they just don't post here.

#107 ·
An update for anyone who cares [giddy]

I was driving in bumper to bumper...to bumper traffic and I got a really awesome message from the car!

"Transmission too hot press brake"

Well I was in the middle lane so there was no way for me to get off easily so I had to keep moving. Then I got some more words of wisdom...

"Transmission is overheating stop safely"

After stoping the car said

"Transmission hot please wait 6 mins"

Never had this happen before so this is really weird.

Is this really how this car handles traffic or is it just my Focus? I don't have another one to compare it to

#108 ·
Quite a few members here have experienced exactly this.

I drive in bumper to bumper traffic almost every day and have luckily not experienced this yet. How many miles do you have on your focus?

#110 ·
Another update!

I have been doing my research on Automated Manual transmissions and found some other vehicles that have them. I knew the VW and Audi cars had them but I also found the Hyundai Veloster did as well! So on to do a test on drivability with the help of the good old "test drive" [hihi].

The VW GTI drove like a dream! This thing shifted unlike anything have experienced, it was great! The only thing in common was the shake when you first started moving; after that there was non of the "normal" grinding sounds at all [werd] and this thing knocked the shifts out like clockwork! Super quick!

The Veloster is a freaking weird car let me just say that [neener] But it also has a DCT and again did not make the grinding noises that Ford states are normal. The Hyundai is definitely slower at shifting compared to the VW, it feels more like a regular automatic transmission in that regard. It also has that same shake when you first start but thats all!

Ford is full of s**t when they say this is normal because its an Automated Manual! Its not normal for Automated Manuals as a whole its only normal for the Ford one which is s**t (at least mine) compared to the VW one! Heck I would even say the Hyundai one was a bit better, the Focus did sift quicker though but definitely not as smooth.

Still don't like either of these cars though! The Focus design appeals to me more however the VW engine and transmission are excellent!

#111 ·
The VW is not comparable as it uses a wet clutch and not a dry clutch. The Veloster's DCT is not as good as the one in the Ford, at least when its working properly as mine has done for over 9800 miles now.

Mine shifts smoothly and makes no grinding noises, so if yours does then something is wrong with it.

#123 ·
I am not sure why you think VW has fixed their issues, but if that is your perception, VW appreciates it I'am sure.
VW is approaching their problems with the dry clutch in China the same way Ford is in North America, eg-software updates etc, with much the same hit and miss results.
And VW is using the same attitude with its customers.
Here is the statement to its Chinese DSG customers "The DSG technology has proven to be mature in Germany and other countries," the statement starts, adding that, "the issues that [are occurring] in China are mainly due to domestic driving habits."

Hows that for attitude eh?

#124 ·
I definitely did not state that VW fixed the issues with the 7 speed which you are referring i was referring to the issues with the 6 speed which is what most of the N.A. VW cars use ! Jeez no need to be like that I was just trying to have a conversation.

#125 ·
I don't mean to sound like a "fanboy" either. I really don't like a lot about the VWs like I said. It just gets annoying to have people in drive thru windows ask you "OMG did you scrape your car????" because your transmission sounds like marbles in a blender!

[loveff] my apologies [:)]

#126 ·
a number of you have mentioned in your postings that Ford (among others) doesn't wish to or won't take responsibility for the different problems w/ the DCT. I have to mention that this, if so, is not new.

In the owner's manual for the 1918 cadillac type 57 victoria it states explicitly and clearly that problems a driver/owner may have with this vehicle are fully the fault of the owner/driver and if the owner/driver is having problems it is because he does not know how to drive and/or maintain the car. (i paraphrased).

So the more things change the more they remain the same, alas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.