Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 Focus SE Transmission Grinding

140K views 422 replies 98 participants last post by  PratoN 
#1 ·
I posted this in an old thread about a different transmission problem, but I want more people to hear this. Has anyone had or heard of a similar problem? Please watch this Youtube video. I have grinding that is most noticeable when shifting into 2nd, but is present in all gears, sometimes even when downshifting.

http://youtu.be/54_3_qF2xhQ

The dealer has updated the control unit, but that didn't fix it. They say that Ford has acknowledged a problem with some of these vehicles, but don't have a fix for it at this time. Thus, there is nothing they can do. I'm beginning to consider the lemon law.

#387 ·
After reading through this thread and seeing all the successful videos that were able to capture the awful grinding (marbles rolling around) noise coming from my transmission I decided to join this forum. I've got my 4th visit with Ford this week and I'm going to personally drive around with them to ensure they're hearing this noise and have them tell me to my face this is a "normal noise." At what point do you give up fighting with them and just trade the damn thing in already?

#395 ·
I am amazed that you posted you don't care about a warranty---- if Ford were forced to extend the warranty---they don't want to perform fixes on every car they would actually make it better---with out a warranty when it's over and trans still acts up- -quess who is paying? Being embarrassed doesn't pay the repair bill---only financial pressure like longer warranties that require the company to make a fix ---that effects their bottom line financially----just my opinion---- If I were embarrassed I'd sell or trade it....
I don't plan on having this car to 100,000 miles so that's why I don't personally care about the warranty. I just want to be able to enjoy my car while I can.

If my plans for this car were long term than id absolutely care about an extended warranty and hope that if that solution is given out to someone with this problem it makes them feel better about the issue but it does
Nothing for me!

#397 ·
For anyone that felt misled about the transmission itself and do not want any quirks at all, then you have my sympathy for being misled, that is NOT right... However, the latest TSB (14-0047) that came out in mid-March really does seem to address the problem by replacing the seals (which were leaking fluid on to the dry clutch) and replacing the clutch packs as well, if needed. Any car built before 6/15/13 and has clutch slippage above 250 RPM will get new automatically, others, cleaned.

So what looks like is possibly a very real solution is out there now. Mine was done 2500 miles ago and seems to be great now. I didn't even have much shudder, but got complete and sudden loss of power going uphill but they still got over 250 RPM of shudder in testing and gave me a complete repair. The parts were in stock and it was all done within 48 hours with a free loaner car.

#398 ·
Personally, I am not yet convinced the current TSB represents a real fix. The reason I say that is at least some 2014s seems to be experiencing the same issues and already have the updated seals and clutch packs. So . . . . what gives?

#404 ·
A ticket? Really? Why don't you have a loaner car? If your car is THAT bad I would REALLY very nicely and politely go as far up as I have to do get it done... My dealer had the parts in stock and the STILL gave me a free loaner for the 2 days it took to repair it... And, I didn't even buy the car from them, I got it off a used car lot! :)

#407 ·
Make it all about the safety issue, you could cause a bad collision! You might have to say "So when I get in an accident because the car is so bad I guess I'm going to have to sue (suit?) the pants off of you"... what about a cheap rental? My dealer gave me basically a free rental through their rental department... they must have some sort of rental program from either themselves or a local rental agency... Also their are Ford reps on here, let them know how serious of a safety issue this is.

Edit: Oh, Meagan is already on it, cool. :)

#408 ·
...Also their are Ford reps on here, let them know how serious of a safety issue this is.

Edit: Oh, Meagan is already on it, cool. :)
[wave] Thanks for the shout-out!

Meagan

#409 ·
Hello guys. I just purchased my focus last saturday and started hearing the "grinding" noises. I've been reading that these are normal for the DCT but I am thinking, is it really? I have not had any concerns yet except for that and rough idling, which the dealer promised to take care of when I make the schedule. I've been reading everyone's post and the car seems dangerous to keep? My gf purchased a 2012 focus and sometimes her transmission jerks too.

#410 ·
"jerking" is normal when you aren't gentle on the throttle, you have to go easy as it's a stick internally... just like if you are punchy with the throttle in 1st gear on a manual it will be jerky and bucking, right?

As far as grinding, only a tiny bit on occasion is acceptable. Keep an eye on it and see if it gets worse.

#411 ·
Thank you for your reply. I tried to be gentle on the throttle and aggressive. I have always driven M/T and understand that DCT works. Why I didn't get a manual is another question, but I feel like the car shouldn't be doing that. I can shift smoother, driving aggressively in a M/T. And what is a tiny bit exactly? i hear it thru the radio, but only on first and 2nd, especially when downshifting. It seems to be smoother when in D mode though, but S mode is much more responsive to my style of driving so I go on S mode often.

#422 ·
My car has fog lights! And leather interior. The only thing i'm missing from my BMW was the sunroof and the power of course. I love this car and would plan to keep it, but hopefully these problems get fixed soon. I too traded it in for the peace of mind. Wouldn't a change in air filter void warranty tho?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.