Focus Fanatics Forum banner

CFM 67mm throttle body

23K views 47 replies 20 participants last post by  fastguy82 
#1 ·
just installed my new CFM TB on my 02 SVT focus with 160,000. what a difference it made. much more sensitive, and made my low end torque better. i can burn out soooooo much easier now and keep it going.

i noticed the stock TB was for the msot part completely plastic, and that the valve thing that turns in it was plastic and came bent, so it wasn't as big. the thing that turned wasn't completely straight and thin, so it itself was restricting air flow. definitely pleased with this upgrade. now just waiting upon magnaflow exhaust and my eibach sports system kit.

oh and what does "bump" mean on the marketplace thing? i see that all the time and have no clue what that means

#2 ·
oh and what does "bump" mean on the marketplace thing? i see that all the time and have no clue what that means
Good call on the throttle body. I need to get mine installed.

And "bump"ing your post gets it back to the top of the list so more people can see your post. That way the post doesnt get lost in the long list of for sale items.

#4 ·
Where can I buy a CFM 67mm TB? Is it a direct bolt on or is there any modification needed. I just orded my K&N Typhoon Intake and Magnaflow CB today.

#6 ·
its a direct bolt on, take off the intake, take off the old throttle body, and pop on the new one.
the hardest part is after you take off the throttle and cruise control cables if you have criuse control. there is this rubber bushing thing that the throttle cable goes on, its quite difficult to get off. i ended up cutting the metal off the old throttle body just to get it off.

#8 ·
Thanks for the tip! Yesterday I ordered a K&N Typhoon short Ram intake and a magnaflow CB exhaust system (I truly hope it doesn't sound ricey!) but I got it for $350 shipped compared to $668 for a Borla shipped. So I'm going to go ahead & order the 67mm TB and have everything installed at once. Thanks again for your help!

#18 ·
Actually Stock TB on the SVT is 63mm.

Saw this kinda late. But figured I would pop in and say it for those who read through the thread later.

-Ray-

#16 ·
just installed my new CFM TB on my 02 SVT focus with 160,000. what a difference it made. much more sensitive, and made my low end torque better. i can burn out soooooo much easier now and keep it going.
Nice! My goal is NOT to burn out however. My goal is to achieve maximum "get up and go" for what I am willing to put into it. How is the get up and go with this TB over stock? Whne pushing the peddal, is it still just a smooth press on it? Or does it become very stiff and hard to push down on?

#17 ·
Nice! My goal is NOT to burn out however. My goal is to achieve maximum "get up and go" for what I am willing to put into it. How is the get up and go with this TB over stock? Whne pushing the peddal, is it still just a smooth press on it? Or does it become very stiff and hard to push down on?
well i don't usually burn out, but when i revv it like i did tonight, a quality tire spin is definitely possible. there was a big big difference and the get up is quite nice. the stock one was definitely slow at the acceleration. the new TB was pretty peppy, without being ridiculously sensitive. they say when you get a new TB, you need to go "re learn" your car....yeaaa no. i was totally comfortable with it right away. i definitely noticed the pickup tho. when in idle, you revv it with the old one, its a slower rev to get to higher rpms, with the new, it gets there pretty quickly. it definitely didn't feel stiff or hard to push down. the pedal felt pretty similar from before, but you just don't have to press down as much. it was an improvement indeed. you will be pleased with the results..along as you put it in right =D.

#26 ·
Well, my Focus is a Sedan, compared to your SVT (also, mine is an automatic). I wonder if I'll still notice as much a difference as you did?

you won't gain any horsepower, maybe gain what you already lost from your old TB, a TB will only add HP if you really supe up your engine, with a turbo and aftermarket exhaust manifold and such
No Turbo or manifold, but I will be adding a CAI, Cat-Back Exhaust, and header. Will this specifically allow the TB to gain HP? I know my mods will gain me some HP overall, but I'm wondering if the TB will add to it? If not, I'd still be up for the excellent throttle response and better get up and go.

As my car is now (stock) it's an absolute brick. [paranoid]

#22 ·
it wakes up your car so when you gas it you get more power much quicker, there is a notice, you won't gain any horsepower, maybe gain what you already lost from your old TB, a TB will only add HP if you really supe up your engine, with a turbo and aftermarket exhaust manifold and such

#24 ·
I've always wondered what the inside diameter of the short ram intakes or stock intake is. If you had a 67mm throttle body and the air intake was smaller it would create a bottle neck. anyone know what the ID is on the air intakes?

#25 ·
i feel like its right around the 67mm TB size, because when i was putting my together, the connector tube thing, i put it on the TB, and then put it on my short ram air, and it looked like when it was stretched out the same size, or very close to it.

they should make it so they just put the filter cone on the TB with the sensor right there aswell, more air? haha or would it just fail epicly

and a new bigger TB pretty much gives you more low end torque, your start offs will be much more quick

#29 ·
i think you'll still notice a difference when you change it out, if you buy a CFM one which i think you should, it'll be all metal, nice clean thin metal gate thing that opens and closes, which the stock one will be plastic, the turning gate thing isn't even flat, and it'll be dirty. at least mine was, i think it is a good investment if you're looking for some pep.

i don't think those mods will do anything to help the TB gain HP, maybe the CAI because more airflow will be coming it so that may help it a tid, especially if you decide to get a bigger TB, i got the CFM 67mm, so worth it

#33 ·
it would be 4mm haha, its definitely noticeable, i kinda wanted to go even bigger than 67mm, but then it would require some serious mods which i don't have funds for, once i get my 100,000 grand from some rich random stranger, then i'll mod out my car

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.