Scraping sound after changing mounts - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #1
LordMasterSi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5034
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black LX SPI

FF Reputation: 1 LordMasterSi Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Exclamation Scraping sound after changing mounts

Slight scraping sound showed up last night after changing the passenger & torque strut mount. It only happens for a quick second after accelerating from a dead stop on "D". Mounts are all torqued to spec. Any ideas? Also, does the torque strut go in a certain way or just goes in regardless (flipping it over)?

'02 Focus SPI 4-door

Last edited by LordMasterSi; 05-21-2013 at 12:49 PM. Reason: added question
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
my_beautious_ZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32386
What I Drive: 2002 charcoal XZ3

FF Reputation: 5 my_beautious_ZX3 Good Standing Member
of the three mounts, the one most likely to make a scraping sound during stop-go acceleration is the torque strut mount.

Is it binding? Did you tighten it in tandem with the pass. mount, or did you do them separately? You might try loosening them both so that the engine can settle into a more natural position, and then retighten them.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
LordMasterSi
Focus Enthusiast

Tightened the torque strut first while the old passenger mount was still bolted on & missing most of its bottom support rubber. So loosen both or just the strut? If both, do I need to also loosen the passenger mount's bracket?

Also, the scraping doesn't show up if revving in park or neutral. Just on D.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Doesn't matter which way you flip it but some mounts are thinner than others, the thinner ones will pull the mounting slot closer in, sometimes making for trouble getting the thicker one in. Feel around the metal edges for any bent in spots, the only place metal should touch is in the center around the bolt. Any metal touching outside ring from bending, forcing mount in will scrape, the outside ring moves around to scrape on either end. It must contact metal only at the center holddown point.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #5
my_beautious_ZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32386
What I Drive: 2002 charcoal XZ3

FF Reputation: 5 my_beautious_ZX3 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMasterSi View Post
So loosen both or just the strut?
the conventional wisdom on the forum is to loosen both (or all 3, to complicate matters) to let the engine find its natural resting spot, then retighten them. Due to weather/budget/impatience, I replaced each of the three mounts a few months apart; did the strut last and it was the only non-Ford part - and it created vibrations in Reverse that were never there before. I re-loosened all three mounts, moved the engine a bit (trying to maintain the previous mount positions) and re-torqued everything; that improved things but did not eliminate the Reverse vibration entirely...alot of us have had quality problems with non-Ford mounts, so you might just have to live with it.

Quote:
If both, do I need to also loosen the passenger mount's bracket?
yeah, the three bolts furthest from the engine. Don't mess with the two studs that clamp the mount to the engine.

Quote:
Also, the scraping doesn't show up if revving in park or neutral. Just on D.
that's to be expected. Revving under no load places minimal counter-torque on the engine.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #6
LordMasterSi
Focus Enthusiast

UPDATE: Not the passenger or torque strut. Turns out I installed them right!!! Hahaha

Found the general area of the sound. I hear it coming from the filter on the CAI. Meaning it has to be somewhere along the intake. Maybe it's rubbing on something now that the engine is at the proper position? I checked and it doesn't seem to be contact with anything when the engine slightly flexes upon acceleration. I may be wrong. Going to try and add some rubber tubing to the edge of the transmission mount (hole where CAI travels down through).

Can it also be the transmission mount? How can I check if it's gone bad? (dad changed it about a month ago).

One weird thing did happen last night. I was parked up on a driveway in order to open the gate and pull in. As I pulled in, I heard the noise scrape/grumble for a longer period and it seemed the car accelerated on its own during that short 3-4 seconds. The last time it did this was when I first installed the CAI & catback and had to recalibrate the ECU. Any chance I may have to recalibrate now that both mounts are on there properly? We had never switched out the torque strut since we bought this car 10yrs ago so it was calibrated last year with what I'm guessing was a bad lower mount.

I'm at a loss here. Will take some video when I get out of work today.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:14 PM   #7
LordMasterSi
Focus Enthusiast

The scraping sound is due to the sound resonating in the CAI. Tapped the gas while holding the brake in D and throttle stayed on way longer this time. No tach to see rpms.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by LordMasterSi; 05-24-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:16 PM   #8
LordMasterSi
Focus Enthusiast

UPDATE #3 Tried the onboard digital tach. Stays stuck at 1600 rpms when that happens.

FINALLY threw a check engine light this morning. Scanned it. P1504. So Idle Control Valve or wiring?

Bookmarks & Social Networks