Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2001 Auto transmission problems help!

12K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  amc49 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 focus that after a while of driving will not go into overdrive. At 45 or over I can put in neutral then back in drive and sometimes it will shift into overdrive. Sometimes the engine light will come on give code P0761 (Solenoid C) Also the tranny will overheat the " ! " light will come on the car is then stuck in limp mode 2nd only. After it cools down for a couple of hours it shift normal again till it gets hot again. Now I have done a fluid flush, new Shift Solenoids A,B & C, also new filter. After changing solenoid C the engine light still came back on code P0761. Anyone have any ideas I need help and can't afford a trip to the Tranny shop? When it is cold it shifts great.

#2 ·
Was the fluid flush before or after the problems started?
Fluid level is perfect?
I know jack about the tranny's our Cars have,but hope this bumps your thread so someone can Help You.
Also,welcome to the Forums!
Even if You don't stick around on the forums,please keep this thread updated till the problem is resolved as it Helps others in the future.

#8 ·
Good article referenced.

The "!" can indicate ATX fluid overheated, SPI engine (means something else on ZETEC), or a speed sensor failing - which combined with your ATX starting off in 2nd may be a strong case for the OSS.

#10 ·
It could be the Transmission Fluid Temp (TFT) sensor.
(or the wiring to it)

The CPU won't let the car get into 4th gear if it's too cold
It won't lock up the converter if it's too hot.
If it gets too hot, it will enter a pre-set shift mode, disable the lockup in 2,3,4 gears, and turn on the dash light

#12 ·
I have seen a fair amount of internal harnesses in the trans causing it to do this style concern as well as possible taking the solinoid out, the tft is loacated int the trans in the valve body, usually when it gets hotter it will change the resistance of the wires and cause these faults. I could be incorrect just saying from my experince its a slightly less expensive try than a whole tranny.

#13 ·
The TFT sensor is located right on the filter IIRC.

I've heard from trans techs that 4F27E has valve body wear problems that are pretty common. Meaning simply changing solenoids ain't gonna do it all the time.

I have not run into it on these but my previous Contour would disable OD when a spark plug wire got bad enough and the engine performance really did not reflect it either, no missing that I could perceive. I simply changed plugs and suddenly no OD. Found out and change wires and then OD is back. I guess I damaged a wire pulling them. Wonky...........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.