Focus Fanatics Forum banner

The perfect phone mount

12K views 34 replies 21 participants last post by  focusbrad 
#1 ·
Thought FF might be interested in the phone mount I've been using. The placement is great and I can't get over how clever the design is. It covers a few buttons, but nothing that isn't already on the steering wheel. Rotates to portrait and landscape.

Mountek mt5000 if anyone is interested. Around $20.

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks quite functional! I never really have anywhere to put my phone but the cupholders. That's one thing I miss about my 8th gen Civic... so many cubbies.

On a side note, I find it interesting that the 4" screen actually says "Bluetooth Media Stream", whereas the 8" screen only says "BT Audio" [facepalm]

#4 ·
This is fantastic! I use my iPhone as my nav system and its pretty dangerous to set it in
My Lap and annoying to have it keep
Falling! Thank you a thousand times over, ordered

#15 ·
I have found the mounts from Proclip USA are the best out there. Instead of a mount that sorta works with many different devices, they have mounts that work perfect with your specific device. I have one installed on my Focus for my iPhone 4. It does not block any buttons with its location beneath the passenger center vent. And it is angled perfectly for the driver to see. They may cost a little more than others, but well worth it.

#19 ·
I've been using the samsung OEM car mount for my galaxy S2. My only complaint is that the arm is a tad short to mount it low. I have to reach up to hit the voice command button on my phone to get things started.

This one looks good, but my gps reception is 10x better 3 feet forward. It's also more natural for me when the gps screen is near the windshield.

#26 ·
Like your phone holder. I chose the ProClips pillar mount for the GPS (with attachment for my specific GPS) and air condition vent (with Scosche Universal Dash Mount)
Very nice.

How do you have the Scosche attached to the dash? The link on Amazon just looks like it comes with suction cup. Can you take a side pic of your set for the iPhone holder?

Thanks!

#22 ·
Ordered the MT5000D. Hope the Garmin still picks-up sats, as the top of the GPS will try to look "through" the black perforated glare material above the mirror, on the windshield, somewhat.

If not, my phone may mount there, and the pillar mount is the next option.

#23 ·
Glad you guys like it. Hopefully you'll be able to fit a gps in there. I can try my garmin out and see how it works.

The one thing that's not ideal is the weird placement of the 12V charger in the focus. My cord is elastic and it goes directly from the armrest to the phone. Pretty annoying with a manual... I'll have to figure something else out for charging.

#24 ·
I like to put my phone in the phone holder under the center stack and use the SYNC voice activated turn-by turn directions so I don't have a bunch of ugly plastic stuff attached to my dashboard.

#27 ·
Got mine. Not too bad. It doesn't block the screen that much (if the cd mount screw is up). It blocks some of the radio controls, but it's not too bad.

The only thing I was a little disappointed in was attaching it to the disc drive. You have to really tighten it, and you can hear the plastic bent. I thought there would be felt or something on the attachments.

All in all, definitely a great $20 phone mount.

Couple this with the Waze app for the iPhone, I don't even miss not getting the nav with MFT.

#28 ·
Mine isn't as elegant, but has worked wonderfully so far.
Just simple gaffers tape.
Hasn't fallen yet with a few aggressive turns and accelerate. Obviously if I really tried It will. But when I want to grab and go, it works great.
Also if you've never used gaffers tape before, it's the best thing since sliced bread. Blows duct-tape out of the water. It's mostly used on film and video sets, but if you look you can find it.

#29 ·
Mine isn't as elegant, but has worked wonderfully so far.
Just simple gaffers tape.
Hasn't fallen yet with a few aggressive turns and accelerate. Obviously if I really tried It will. But when I want to grab and go, it works great.
Also if you've never used gaffers tape before, it's the best thing since sliced bread. Blows duct-tape out of the water. It's mostly used on film and video sets, but if you look you can find it.
Not doubting it's effectiveness, but I am not sticking anything to my phone just to hold it up in front of me in the car. lol

#32 ·
I just wedge my iPhone right in front of the center screen (non MFT 4inch screen) and I can reach it, GPS is flawless, an it pops right out, and there zero to install. Ford made it that way so you can just clip your Garmin or phone right into the dash. One of the cooles things about the car

#35 ·
I use one of the windshield suction cup jobs with the long bendable snake. I put it high up on the windshield in front of the rear view mirror, then I bend it right up so it sits just below the left side of the mirror so it's at eye level. That way when I'm using nav, my eyes only move a few inches to the phone, and I also plug it directly into the glove box port so I can listen to music or take calls over the car's speakers. No one really I talk t seems to really notice call quality problems. I have the S model sedan in black and manual trans so I don't have the ford sinc (cheaper price is more important than higher end options). This method with the phone right under the rearview mirror is the best place I've found so far after using several other mounts or locations I wasn't happy with. Man, for some season I'm really having trouble posting from my phone! Excuse the bad typing!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.