Focus Fanatics Forum banner

DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread

1M views 4K replies 556 participants last post by  rczrider 
#1 ·
Well, I just scheduled an appointment on Monday to get my update for my 6-speed dual clutch. Seems like some dealers are willing to hand over the update (another poster on this board did), some dealers will still give the ole "its not a torque converter" mantra, and some dealers (the one I just called) don't know that there's a TSB out there, and when researched will come up with it. And the dealer I called fell into the latter (after I went to another dealer who gave me the mantra).

I'm happy with my DCT but I'm willing to see what this new update does for the transmission (in terms of smoothness and less hesitation). Hopefully, I'll have some noticeable difference. Did anyone else get an update? If so, how'd it work out for you. I'll let you know my thoughts after a good drive on Monday.

#3,003 ·
Took my 2014 to the dealer for the 1st time regarding this issue. They would not do anything to help resolve it -- the dealer refused to reprogram the PCM/TCM, refused to clear adaptive strategy, refused to run the pinpoint test at the beginning of TSB 14-0047, etc. All they would say was that it's working the way it is supposed to.

My family has only purchased Fords for generations. I myself have purchased 3 brand new Fords from this particular dealership. Sadly, due to my experience with this transmission this will be my last Ford, ever.

#3,004 ·
You most certainly need to lodge a complaint against this service department with the dealer's general manager, and seek another service department.

Inexcusable that any service department / service manager / service writer is unaware of the latest TSBs and determination process.

#3,007 ·
I wish this thread had been around when I bought my 2012 FOCUS SEL two years ago. The only information I could find at the time was in Car and Driver, which stated that the car "stumbled at slow speeds in the parking lot". Oh my, WHAT AN UNDERSTATEMENT!!!

I've been servicing my car at my local Ford dealer and have discussed my concerns with the Service Manager and his minions each time I brought my car in about the "stumbling" at acceleration and slow speeds. Each time they assured me that what I was experiencing was normal for this type of transmission and part of the adjustment and breaking in period. Well....there's been no change in two years and my worst fears were confirmed this past Friday!

As I was approaching the main gate of the base I work on, thank god I wasn't driving down the interstate when this happened, I received the following alert on the instrument panel "Parking Assist Error Maintenance Required" and the traction control error light lit up. The car would no longer move forward or go into reverse, I shifted it into Park and back to Drive - no joy, and then I turned the car off in an attempt to reset the error, which resulted in the car not starting because the computer still thought it's in Drive! Needless to say, it was a very rough morning, but thank God I or anyone around me driving down the interstate wasn't hurt because I have no doubt that I would have lost control of the car had that happened at 60 mph. And guess what, I DON'T HAVE PARKING ASSIST, so figure that out!!!!

Just got off the phone with the Service Manager and here's what they had to do to return my car to normal operation:

- Replaced the PCM Transmission Control Module Cost $1300
- Replace the Clutch Assembly and several seals leaking transmission fluid Cost $2237
- Enter and reprogram the PCM/Transmission IAW the latest Tech Bulletin

Now, my 2012 FOCUS SEL has 27,200 miles on it so I'm still under warranty, but I requested cost estimates so I would know how much this might cost me if it happens again. I'm still scratching my head as to why the PCM/Transmission wasn't reprogrammed sooner!

There are serious issues with the design and operation of the FOCUS transmissions that Ford needs to address before someone gets hurt. It's not a matter of "if it happens but when" and I suggest they watch GM and learn from their mistakes.

At this point I have one of two options, buy the extended warranty or trade for a new car. If I do trade, I assure you it won't be a GM or a Ford!

#3,012 ·
Get the Prius

We bought a 2012 priusC the first year of the car cuz wifey has looooong commute. We are pushing 80K on it and not one hiccup or failure yet.

Wish I could say the same about our 2014 Focus. We have had 3 issues thus far 10 months and 10K in. I pray that the poorly designed DCT and its computer controlled low gear sluggishness don't kill it before Powertrain: 5 years / 60,000 warranty expires. My Gut feeling is that it won't last without issues. Sad cuz IMO and others I see as well, is this car is sooo much fun to drive and handles beautifully. If I knew then what I know now I would have opted for the manual hatch.

#3,011 ·
Team,

I urge everyone to file a complaint at the following site: http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Owners

Here's what I posted in my complaint:

I started experiencing transmission problems with my Focus after what would normally be considered the end of the break in period, which was around 8,000 miles. The car would stall, shudder, and shake during acceleration from a stop, at low speed driving, and got notably worse the longer I drove especially on hot/humid days. I followed the maintenance schedule as outlined in the owner's manual and each time I brought my car in for maintenance I discussed my concerns about the transmission with Service personnel and received the "Corporate" answer each time "your transmission is operating within specifications", there's nothing we can do at this time. On 27 June 2014 as I was approaching the main gate of the base I work on, my car came to an abrupt halt and displayed the alert "Parking Assist Malfunction Maintenance Required". The hazard lights became inoperable, gear shift indicator would not shift to Park, and the transmission ceased to function. I was extremely fortunate that this did not happen while I was driving down the interstate at 65 mph 5 min earlier, because I firmly believe that I would have lost control of the car and either killed myself or someone else. The following parts were replaced in order to return my car to full operation: - PCM Transmission Control Module - Clutch Assembly and Leaking Seals - Reprogrammed Transmission IAW latest Tech Bulletin This is a common theme among all FOCUS owners at the moment who've purchased vehicles since 2012. It's obvious to the public that the FOCUS transmissions have design flaws and Ford needs to come up with a solution and replace the transmissions of these vehicles. For the safety of the public I urge you to mandate a recall on the transmissions in all affected Ford models before Ford makes the same mistakes GM has and people are serioiusly injured or killed, it's just a matter of time.

#3,013 ·
It's obvious to the public that the FOCUS transmissions have design flaws and Ford needs to come up with a solution and replace the transmissions of these vehicles.
I pray that the poorly designed DCT and its computer controlled low gear sluggishness don't kill it before Powertrain: 5 years / 60,000 warranty expires.
I'm always interested from an engineering standpoint; what do you men feel are the design flaws and poor design with respect to the DCT? What would you men have done differently with respect to the DCT's design?

#3,014 ·
I'm not a hater, but after reading all these FF threads, and seeing that they changed the shaft seals recently, it seems like that was one thing they didn't get right. The other part is harder to nail down. Since this is a computer alogrithm we are dealing with I wonder who tested that? My guess is it was some engineers who knew what they were trying to get out of it -- not a bunch of poke and coasters like it seems to get driven in the real world. Who knows, none of us were there. I'm just a consumer here but it seems like this drive train and chassis is a pretty remarkable feat of economy, efficiency and driving dynamics. The vehicle punches over its weight as far as I can tell.

#3,020 ·
Disclaimer: NOT happy to see all the DCT & other issues with '12+ Focus.

That out of the way, so you know I'm not bashing, the Prius mentioned has been on the road in similar versions since '97, and sold here since 2000. C model being new in '12 as mentioned, it's still not a "new" technology at this point.

DCT's, in whatever form, have only operated in an "acceptable" manner vs. other automatics & manuals in a few cars worldwide to date. I had hoped that this early adoption by Ford would have worked out smoother.

The worst issues, when the car fails to work entirely, have been from computer/communications/wiring issues as well as other engine related issues seen on the manual trans. versions as well.

I'm disappointed to see computer issues, as ecu's & pcm's have been fairly robust to this point (all cars). CAN bus tech., and other wiring changes to save $/complexity & weight, are another contributing factor - even if failures there are a smaller part of the problems overall. Earlier tech in engine control, even if less elegant, was more dependable with most failures being from wear of sensors/actuators.

Best of luck to all with issues, the latest oil seals/clutches seem to have helped on that front but other (and some still undefined) issues seem to remain.

#3,021 ·
Thanks all for chiming in. Whenever they get a good battery/capacitor increasing range I am looking forward to an EV with a fraction of the parts of an ICE. Love the roar of an ICE car but at age 50 I am rather tired of working on my NEW ICE's as well as my teenagers' junkboxes which are expected.

#3,023 ·
Using electronics to ditch weight and improve efficiency is a huge shift, but I wouldn't call the DCT an early adopter. It's been out there since the early 2000s starting with European performance cars, naturally, and moving down market since. Pretty gutsy of Ford to put it in a mass market car in N. American where you will confront the consumer and dealer learning curve on a huge scale. Interestingly enough, you don't hear all this caterwauling in Europe anymore although VWs DSG did have this problem in 2003. I think that speaks to the car cultural issues that we are going through as cars go global.

#3,025 · (Edited)
New to the forums. Just bought a new 2014 Focus on June 27. Just yesterday driving on the streets, the transmission started grinding at 40 mph / 4th gear. Happened on 4 occasions and each time lasted the length of 4th gear (about 4-5 seconds) until it shifted to 5 or 3. Called my sales people as it happened and was told to bring it in today at 9 am. It did not grind on the way there, the test drive with the technician, nor on the way home. I asked that they run tests and check the computers to make sure the latest software was already installed which according to the paperwork, it does. I have only had it 12 days and only 640 miles. I hope hope hope I didn't make a mistake trading in my 2007 Ford Ranger with 169,xxx miles. That was a good truck, only had about $800 in repairs in the 7 years I had it since new.

Anyone else experience grinding at 40 mph / 4th gear? I knew about most of the common characterists that the DCT had before buying. I just got it because I have never driven a 5 speed and thought that Ford would have fixed this thing by now. I asked the service guy who checked me out if I made a mistake buying the DCT and he said he thinks I did. The lady who sold me my car seemed to really want to help, the sales manager who helped sale my car seemed concerned. Service department didn't seem to care nor did the customer relations lady.

I hope I didn't take on a car payment only for the car to sit in the shop.

#3,027 ·
That's a weird one... only little clicks/very, very tiny grinds should be normal as it changes gears, definitely not the whole time in the gear... These transmissions do take some time to break in as well, so keep at it and see what happens. BUT overall, serious mechanical problems SHOULD be going down on these as they have gotten the parts revised with newer MY builds.

#3,028 · (Edited)
Hopefully it is a one time deal. I do love the car, I do find it to be fun to drive and the mpg is great (30.4 so far, lots of city). Not to mention wawanesa insurance on it is dirt cheap. Hopefully I am a lucky one.

How do I know if I have the latest TSB? I asked the dealership and they said "It's a 2014, they all have the most up to date notices and fixes".

#3,029 ·
12 days and 640 miles is within the adaptive phase. It seems like, from reading these forums, many dealerships are not well equiped for the issues they face from the customers on one hand and from what Ford is saying on the other. I talked to the service guys before buying mine and got a feeling for their way of handling things. It might be worth your while to casually interview service departments around there to see if some seem better versed than others.

#3,032 ·
Horse, first arm yourself with some reading here, there are various threads you can find by searching the forums for keywords like shuddering or shaking, bogging. You need to read about how many folks have been danced around by the dealers, so you can be better prepared to insist that your car runs right.

I wish you all the best because when the transmission is running right, it is a quick, sporty and economical car.

#3,031 ·
I just walk in and talk to a service adviser about what they are seeing. It's just informative if getting information is like talking to my teenager (monosyllabic so called answers) or they are gregarious and acknowledge common complaints and typical ways they've seen them addressed. This isn't confidential medical information here. They see cars come in all day, everyone is different blah blah blah, but patterns emerge. Can you get them to talk about that? A lot of times I find these folks to be pretty willing share their opinions if they feel respected and there's no gotcha involved. But if you just can't get that rapport going, that tells you something too.

#3,034 ·
Newly joined the forum. I just made an appointment with my local dealer to check out my DCT with the usual symptoms and hoping to get TSB 14-0047. I wanted to get it documented as I literally parked the car in their lot with 35,976 mi. I understand the tranny is covered for 5yr/60,00 mi, but just wanted to be safe. Also I had no warning indicator when my washer fluid ran out. Which all brings me to some questions.

I didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling talking to the service rep to begin with, he seemed pretty tight lipped. His first claim was that he didn't think the car came equipped with a washer fluid sensor, said that is an optional item. I found that hard to believe, said I would research that. Then he stated that although I came into the dealer, documented, and set up an appointment when under 36K, that by the time I brought it in I would not be under warranty (due to mi) for the washer fluid fix, if necessary. Can anyone verify warranty on first reporting vs first actually looked at, and washer fluid sensor optional?

Secondly, is it a good idea to get in touch with one of the Ford Reps that are in this forum before I bring it in (in about a week)? Would this help give me leverage/safety if they try to pull anything on me regarding warranty work?

Thanks in advance.

#3,036 ·
The Ford rep i spoke with got me in touch with my regional service manager and she said that if the technicians can not recreate the symptoms they will not work on it. Her advice to me, and my advice to you, finds another dealer if you are still under a ford factory warranty. Mines a 2012 and i have no record of any updates our service unless it was done in the 50k miles before i got it

#3,037 ·
So, lately my car has been shaking/shuddering in low gear and grinding a lot besides. Car has 16,500 miles on it. Car needs a new clutch.

My dealer, North County Ford in Vista, CA, has not given me any kind of runaround. They're not only replacing the clutch, but they also gave me a rental car for the weekend since they won't have the part until Monday.

I'm going to wait and see how the car drives when it's fixed before passing judgement here. The guy at the rental car agency had actually seen this problem often enough that he commented on it (!). I'm not especially happy that this is happening, but I'm not upset with my dealer. They found there's a problem, they're fixing it, they're providing me a loaner.

#3,038 ·
My transmission problems started at around 8000 miles and the dealer refused to acknowledge that there was anything wrong. It took a catastrophic failure of the TCM module at 27,000 miles to get them to change the TCM, transmission seals, and clutch assembly. Luckily, I was not driving 65 mph down the highway when the TCM module blew up because I'm confident that would have resulted in injuries or death.

I will admit my car is driving much much better since the repair. I have noticed more significant "roll back" when parking or moving in reverse on an incline. I dam near rolled into a parked car the other day because the transmission was very very slow to engage when I shifted back to Drive and there have been periodic shakes and grinding when backing out my driveway. The dealer did mention that the transmission is under warranty for 2 years and unlimited miles, so that was good news; however.....

There are multiple reports in this and other discussion strings that the "fix" is temporary and that the seals will eventually leak again, which will lead to transmission degradation and/or failure of the clutch assembly. I for one am not looking forward to a $3500 repair bill if my transmission dies again outside factory, extended, or repair warranty.

Ford needs to honor their commitment to their customers and either find a permanent fix for these issues or provide free extended warranties on the transmission for all affected models until the car is either traded or sold by the original owner.

Anything short of those two recommendations and they're just passing off the cost of their engineering blunder to the consumer, which is not a good business model if they want to maintain market share and bring back returning customers.

#3,044 ·
Did they give you an estimate paper when you dropped the car off? You should NEVER leave the dealer without paperwork when dropping off the car, or picking it up. With no paperwork you can't prove anything and its your word against theirs. Even if you take it to court, they can likely afford big fancy lawyers and will make it a financial nightmare for you if you tried to fight them; it would end up costing more than just paying to get it fixed properly. Really nothing you can do without paperwork.

#3,041 ·
Should I take last call for extending warranty in light of transmission problems?

I just reached 40K on my 2012 Ford Focus and am trying to decide to buy the extended warranty.

The transmission has been a little bit jerky from the start but really hasn't gotten worse yet. But I've read that a problem with leaking oil can ruin it.

Ordinarily, I don't believe in extended warranties. I would rather just pay cash if there is a problem than pay for a warranty.

But in light of the potentially serious tranny problems, should I buy the extended warranty this time?

#3,048 ·
I just reached 40K on my 2012 Ford Focus and am trying to decide to buy the extended warranty.

The transmission has been a little bit jerky from the start but really hasn't gotten worse yet. But I've read that a problem with leaking oil can ruin it.

Ordinarily, I don't believe in extended warranties. I would rather just pay cash if there is a problem than pay for a warranty.

But in light of the potentially serious tranny problems, should I buy the extended warranty this time?

#3,042 ·
Well, just brought my focus to the dealer today. From what I could research they were correct about there being no low washer fluid indicator, so I told them to just check on the transmission. Lo and behold, I get a call in the afternoon that I need a clutch assembly replacement, won't have the parts for about a week, come pick up the car until then. Fingers crossed for hopefully a smoother ride when all is said and done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.