Focus Fanatics Forum banner

How to: Outer dash vent swap (SE to ST and ST to SE)

26K views 36 replies 17 participants last post by  superhumanoid 
#1 ·
Having an SE, the outer vents on my dash are plain black. I liked the look of those from the higher models, which feature a silver accent ring. Looking up the parts showed it'd cost a decent bit to order new ones and swap them out.

As it turns out, a friend recently bought an ST which has the vents I was after. He mentioned one day how we wanted the all-black pieces from the lower model Focuses since his interior was almost blacked out from the factory.

Bingo.

Today we met and got to work swapping the vents between the two cars, once we figured out how.

STEP ONE: Acquire an SE and ST.

*If an ST cannot be found, a Titanium will work as well. Similarily an S can substitute for an SE.

STEP TWO: Remove the cover on the end of the dash board. Pry from the pointed edge (facing the driver's seat) and it'll pop off.

STEP THREE: Remove the Torx screw, shown by the arrow.

STEP FOUR: This is a bit tricky. The vents clip into place so be prepared to pull around the edges and wiggle to get them to come free. With the driver's side vent, you FIRST MUST REMOVE THE WIRING FROM THE HEADLIGHT SWITCH. Reach in through the end of the dash and unclip the connector.

(This is the connector. Sorry for the bad photo, it was all I had.)

STEP FIVE: Now the headlight switches had to be removed. Since mine is a 2012 and his a 2013, they were different pieces. For 2013 Ford added a trunk-release button. Knowing someone would ask, we plugged his into mine to see if said button would work as a plug-and-play update for a 2012. It does not.

The vents come apart into two pieces, and the headlight switch attaches at the bottom, sandwiched between the two.

STEP SIX: Now the parts are swapped and vents reassembled. On the left is the ST vent with the 2012 headlight switch, and on the right is the SE vent with the 2013 switch.

STEP SEVEN: Now it's time to reverse the steps above. The vents are carefully fitted back in place (take your time, this is tricky!) and the torx screw reattached. When refitting, watch carefully the duct that the vent lines up with. It needs to be realigned properly so that air will be fed to the vent as it was before. If misaligned it can also prevent the piece from sitting properly on the dash. Remember to plug the headlight switch back in and test to make sure all lights work. The cover on the end of the dash can be reattached.

For the passenger side, it's the same process with the exception of the headlight switch.

Finished product:

And bonus ST photo just because.

We hope that helps! Personally, we're both happier with the swapped parts as they match the interiors of our cars better.

See less See more
#24 ·
Agghhh, I thought the SEL's all had the silver trim around the vents. Now after looking at some pics of some SEL's, I see that some (or all?) are black like the SE's. The website listed the vents as being for the SEL and Titanium models. As far as I know, ALL Titanium's have the silver trim around the vents. So if they are black then the website has them listed wrong. Would've been nice if they put a better description on their website stating which they were, silver trim or black. So now I am wondering if they are black or silver. Won't know until they come Tuesday (4/2). Geez if they are black, I'm gonna be [mad]. Anyone with an SEL have the silver trim vents?

#15 ·
Just ordered a set tonight from the link I posted. $83.84 + shipping to be determined when they package them and weigh them. I'm guessing $100 total with the shipping. I was going to just remove mine and paint the trim with silver paint but said screw it and bit the bullet and ordered them.

Props to Twenty for the excellent write up with pics! [thumb]

#16 ·
Twenty, got a question for you. When you swapped the vents from your buddy's ST, you said the '13 headlight switch plugged right in. Did the 13 switch have an extra plug socket for the trunk release, or was it identical to the 12 switches from the back? I'm thinking about getting a 13 switch and trying to get it working in my 12. Not having a trunk release button on the inside of the car irks me to no end. My fusion had one, the escape has one, even the 08 fusion SE had one.

#27 ·
Whew! So okay, got the vents today and they ARE the correct ones with the chrome trim. Each came in an individual box with the part #'s on the box as well as listed on the packing slip. Here are the part #'s:

Left vent: CV6Z-19893-HB

Right vent: CV6Z-19893-FB

Was $83.84 for both and then about $13 shipping (To Upstate NY ... may be a little more or a little less depending where you live)

#29 ·
Just wanted to add this picture. It's very crude but I think you will know what I am talking about when you do the install. This was for the left side. When I was re-installing the left side, the area around the headlight switch didn't seem to be clicking into place. I was like, WTH? Turns out there are 2 tabs on the bottom and as I was pushing the vent in, the tabs were going below the catch. Almost broke them because they were getting bent. So after I pulled the vent off and tried again, I used a screwdriver to gently push up from beneath the tabs as I was pushing the vent in and that got them up over the catch as they were supposed to be.

#30 ·
I had a dream like goes like this:
"As it turns out, a friend recently bought an ST which has the WHEELS I was after. He mentioned one day how we wanted the all-black WHEELS WITH HUBCAPS from the lower model Focuses since his interior was almost blacked out from the factory."
Ha ha ha ha ha
:(
I know it was just a dream!

#32 ·
that looks awesome!

#35 ·
#34 ·
Just wanted to say thanks for writing this, also thanks to Pennut that pointed out the headlight switch thing, it was driving me crazy. I switched from a titanium hatch. Here's my final product.

A note to anyone else attempting this, the "button" to release the connector for the headlight switch is on the side facing the radio. Press it in and it comes out easily. Snaps back in just as easily which is good considering how awkward that space is lol

#37 ·
Thanks for this guide, again! I went ahead and just ordered some new vent 'louvers' myself from Tasca. Only ran me about $55 for both, which is a pretty good deal considering I've seen them go for much higher.

It's the first step in my SE to ST/SEL interior swap, so I'm pretty excited! Going to add a black shifter surround and HVAC bezel, then use the 'Lyra' (which is the metallic champaign trim in the SEL) for everything else that is typically painted that ugly matte silver.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.