Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Installed my FSWERKS intake

45K views 114 replies 49 participants last post by  darkangelism 
#1 ·
Wow its like a whole new car, its alot louder so dont be surprised. But for me the loud is good, any comments from any others with the intake?

#73 ·
I'm a bit late into the conversation, but congrats on your intake. I myself own the fswerks intake and stealth exhaust for two weeks now and it's runs flawlessly with perhaps little to no loss in MPG (maybe 1-2) at most. But I don't drive for more than 10-15 miles at a time to really see a difference.

As for gains and HP, FSWERKS dyno'd their stock cars vs just intake and stock vs. intake AND Exhaust and they have them posted on their website.

Here is the dyno info on 87 octane and Manual Trans if anyone is interested -

Focus 2.0L TiVCT Stock Intake vs Cool-Flo Intake:
stock - 150.1hp - 134.8 trq
intake - 158.9hp - 140.2 trq

Focus 2.0L TiVCT Stock Intake vs Cool-Flo Intake & Exhaust
stock - 150.1hp - 134.8 trq
Intake and exhaust - 167.1 hp - 146.3 trq

I average 24 to 26 mpg street, and 33 to max 37mpg (65-70mph) highway, depending on traffic.

Cheers,
Adam

#75 ·
I am not sure if you have the FSWERKS intake, but here is what ITG recommends for cleaning their filters.

http://www.itgairfilters.com/cleaning.htm (click pdf on link)

But I don't get that into it with cleaning it with gasoline. Depending on the make and construction, I'll use brake cleaner or just a simple car wash solution, let it sit for 10-15 minutes, then dry on cardboard in the driveway for a few hours in direct sunlight and re-oil.

Cheers.

#79 ·
I'm at the point where I want to start some basic mods and I've got a couple of questions:

1. What exactly does this "drone" sound like? Any clips?
2. Anyone know when tunes will start being available?

#81 ·
Serious question.

Anyone in Canada or North America for that matter purchased an ITG AIR FILTER CLEANING KIT for this filter yet? Or perhaps has anyone used a different solution for cleaning and re-oiling the filter?

I wanting to do this in the Spring but Aerosols can't ship last I checked.

#84 ·
Someone posted earlier that the engine cover + the FSWERKS CAI made it quieter. Is this true? I want the preformance, but not so much the noise.

#85 ·
drone?

Ive seen in the beginning of this thread how many people say that this intake sometimes is drone... can some better explain bcuz i really want to buy this but wanna understand what it is and what its like... Us military guys get paid this thursday so if someone could help me by then, that would be great[gunfire]

#86 ·
Ive seen in the beginning of this thread how many people say that this intake sometimes is drone... can some better explain bcuz i really want to buy this but wanna understand what it is and what its like... Us military guys get paid this thursday so if someone could help me by then, that would be great[gunfire]
I've had mine in since summer. The drone is avoidable by feathering the throttle, but on hills it's sometimes inescapable. It sounds much worse inside the car than it does from outside. In fact, it sounds really nice from outside.

#90 ·
Other than the filter (the black foam one is an ITG filter, the green one is from a company called Green Filter or something like that), no they should be the same shielding and duct work, only the filter seems to be different.

The Green filter is much closer to the Steeda or K&N in size vs the ITG which looks to be a bit shorter in length.

#95 ·
Anything come of the "running lean" scare posted earlier in this thread?

I obviously don't want to ruin my engine but I'm also not planning on doing a tune.

Was trying to decide between the K&N Typhoon and this FSWerks and I'm kinda leaning towards the FSWerks now since it's so much cheaper than the K&N. Do I have to worry about the car running too lean or was that just scare tactics?

Thanks!

EDIT: Also, what is the difference in Wrinkle Black and Silver. Any pictures?

#96 ·
I have not noticed any issues, and I have been running mine for about 9 months now. This is my third car with short ram, and have never had an issue on any of them.

#99 ·
After driving around my Focus in sport mode primarily (except on highways) I've decided I'm pretty happy with it's performance I don't know if it has something to do with it being a little more broken in but I am greatly more satisfied with its acceleration now than I was when i first got it. Could be my driving styles could be whatever.

So I'd be ok not getting a 10hp gain from a new intake (if it meant better sound and a cheaper price) though I'd still like a little bit of improvement just to make me feel like I didn't waste a bunch of money. My concern with the engine bay temps is that I want to make sure getting the FSWerks intake wouldn't be detrimental to my engines performance. I.E. is it worse for the engine than the stock air box because it doesn't seal? I guess I can't imagine that FSWerks would make a product that was actually worse for performance...

Finally, regarding the sound, is it a good sound or is it like taking the cover off the airbox and running with it? I did that yesterday driving up and down my street and was surprised and not really pleased with what I heard, I don't know if you ever tried that but should I be expecting a sound like that or something better?

I found a steeda for $220 used for 3 weeks (and free shipping) on eBay and am trying to decide if it's worth it over a brand new FSWerks Coolflo (green filter) with the cleaning supplied shipped for $200. I generally don't like purchasing used auto parts though for mainly warranty issues.

Thanks!

#100 ·
Can't comment on the FSWerks, but the K&N sounds awesome. Makes the 2.0L I4 sound mean. Growls down low and screams up top, with rumbling scattered all throughout, love it.

#102 ·
That's good to hear. It's not an embarrassing noise like taking the airbox cover off? Did you all go with the green filter or ITG, I'm thinking the green filter for ease of care and longevity. With regards to the green filter I'm wondering if a K&N recharge kit will work since I already have one of those from my previous car and can get those cheaper than what FSWerks charges.

Thanks!

#103 · (Edited)
Just installed mine today, unforunately had to pay $60 duty on it...
It definetly has a "burble" type sound around 1900-2200 rpm a la WRX, and again about 3000, which was unexpected but nice. And I don't get any sort of drone at highway speeds. In fact I only really hear it at all when accelerating.

Pretty happy with it overall, even tho with the customs tax it worked out to be the same cost as the Steeda but oh well...

EDIT: After living with it a few days now, the "burble" sound is actually wearing on me a bit, going up hills it sounds a little like a semi-truck engine-braking. I may try using the green filter as a drop-in with the resonator delete and see how that works out. It sounds great when revving in neutral, but under load at low RPM's it tend to make the noise.

RE-EDIT: Went back to stock for now, I believe the green filter is the culprit. A foam filter like the ITG shouldn't make the same noise, it's not as cavernous inside, so i'll probably wait until I find that or something like it. Going back to stock i now notice how bad the bog-down off the line is as well

#106 ·
the only down fall is when it get hot outside over say 95 degrees then i notice a hp loss.
Experienced this for the first time today. Not sure if the stock airbox would have helped any but I was driving my around on the highway in 90+ degree temps and I noticed a whole lot of barking but not a whole lot of bite. Power is noticeably less than driving it around in the 65 degree temps. I have the Steeda CAI that seals right up to the hood liner but the outside heat was still massively effecting it.

#107 ·
yes this is what I was trying to tell everyone with the cai's. Unless it is routed outside of your engine compartment you will lose lots of hp! trust me i have 13543 mile on my 2013 focus hatch and I promise you it does. This engine is massively sensative to heat and loses power. when I put my stock intake back on this drastically reduced this from happening and in fact it hasn't happened since. Even Aaron at injected said it is better to put your stock back on.
If you notice the stock air box gets air from 2 different locations and it gets it from the outside air where it is routed. What good is is to put bigger intake on if you lose hp? I would rather have it slightly restricted and get colder air from the outside than have a cai that i cant use when ambient temps are over 90 degrees. If it is a 100 or more the whole car dogs out and eats gas like a mustang mach 1. if you dont believe my experience then call Aaron and injected and ask him what dynoed better! and that is the truth.
to me cai's are good for winter time or if you live in Minnesota or Nebraska. just saying
if Injected is reading this then build us a cai that is routed outside the engine area where we can truly grab colder air if not then I am hooking up my a/c to it lol

#108 ·
I'm not so sure the stock box would make a difference... my Steeda CAI is sealed off from the engine pretty well and it still gets air from the stock snorkel. As well as from the left part of the engine bay, but the depressions on my hood liner are extremely visible ergo, I know it seals pretty much to hood. Maybe the stock box "makes a difference" because it drives worse all the time instead of when it's just really hot out...

#111 ·
not sure how the steeda is routed all i can say is when the throttle is wide open and it is hot outside most cai's are grabbing tons of air from the 140 + degree air from the engine compartment. Stock box gets cold air from outside the vehicle in two different locations. If you are in doubt put your stock on during this heat wave and tell me if you dont notice a massive difference. we need to close our ears to the aggressive sound of a cai and feel the pedal this way you are not biased.

#109 ·
now, I know my last writing will piss off a lot of people and that is not my intention just want us to stop smoking crack and get Injected to build us a true cai that is routed from outside the engine compartment where it can grab colder air. I am past the hype and looking for true hp gains.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.