Focus Fanatics Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Power Works Supercharger

12K views 62 replies 26 participants last post by  Chick 
#1 ·
Hey all. Im planning to go forced induction pretty soon so Im gathering ideas and possibilities to get the best for my money. Ive been thinking of going turbo whether with a custom kit or buying one. OK here's the thing my ZX3 is ATX. I was wondering around the focussport website and I saw their superchargers. Thing is the one that I like which of course was the powerworks SC says for 5 speed only. This may be a noobie question but here it goes anyway. Could it be installed on an ATX?

#27 ·
At What point did this turn into a Focus Power vs. Powerworks thread? I thought the original purchaser was asking about his options with an ATX. Someone else posted that Powerworks was working on a cal that would work with a stock ATX to help him keep the cost down until he could afford the upgraded tranny. Next thing you know you have 1Turbofocus screaming that it can't be done and about how good his kit is vs. the Powerworks stuff. I think Mark has conceeded that Tom's kit makes more power pound for pound, and that each kit is unique and has it's own advantages and disadvantages. So what is left to argue about? Why not help the original poster make an educated decision (that is what he was asking about anyway right?) rather then bash another company.

Is it that people don't want to see a boosted Auto work with a stock tranny? I would think people would be happy about not having to spend an extra $1200 on a new tranny and still get a solid reliable SC (or Turbo) kit.

Tom, what seems to be your big beef with the Powerworks guys? Is there some past history I don't know about? I'm a bit new to the Focus scene (actually doing some research before purchasing an SVT Focus) but Tom seems to have alot of pent up anger towards Powerworks.

Someone help a brother out. Can't we all just get along?

Jersey[thumb]

#28 ·
1turbofocus said:
Originally posted by mab351 [/i]

I'm waiting for the facts. All I've seen from you is that you still don't understand the difference between your facts and the real facts.

Fact Focus - power makes more HP
Fact Focus - Power makes more TQ
Fact Focus - power is easier to make more power and TQ with as for up more boost
Fact Focus - power Turbo parts carry a LIFETIME WARRANTY
Fact Focus - power kit has the potental to make 170HP to 300HP with the same kit , With the same tune and with the flick of the switch
Fact Focus - power kit is easier to install
Fact Focus - power kit can have tuning changes made Email if customer adds more mods
Fact Focus - power kit you can add mods to your engine and our kit and have the tuning support not some one telling you it must stay OEM for our tune to work

Pretty cool! Facts without slander! Sounds like you have all the bases covered! Matter of fact if I was building a Gonzo powered car I might consider a turbo, but you have to admit, they do have their drawbacks. One of those being the having to fabricate a new catalyst system which doesn't seem to be on your list of supplied hardware. Check us out at www.powerworks.net and choose a distributor near you! So why are you comparing your kit to ours again???

All I said was they are different in every way that you could possibly imagine, so why would you compare your fabricated tubular turbo kit with air to air intercooling to our cast aluminum supercharger kit that comes with an EO, safe drivable calibration (with less performance than yours) air to water intercooling, new throttle body, coolant pump, all the hoses, hoseclamps and pump, coolant bottle, all the electrical harnesses which make it plug and play, lower front radiator, and includes a complete new induction system, oil filter relocation kit, basically we supply everything but a new oil filter and oil, and coolant for the IC system
[/QUOTE]

Thats all well and good , Mine also comes with hoses , clamps , piping , manifold , Turbo , bolts , injectors , A properly calibrated mass air and proper tuning , You are trying to make it sound like my kit does not come with an EO, safe drivable calibration , The comments from ALL the Ford guys that have drove it and that drove it at FJ were how well it drove like stock with the exception of how well the TQ felt and how hard it pulled , One of the main Ford guys drove it for about 20 miles from 35 cruise to full WOT , My kit is safe , durable , powerfull , very driveable under any condition

Nope! Your paranoid dude! Didn't try to make it sound like anything, and our testing and development programs are totally different. Our kit is totally different. Had a perfect oportunity for an advert and took it. Check us out at www.powerworks.net and choose a distributor near you! I'm sure your kit feels great! And again.. your comparing our kit to yours why?

Fact you dont need a oil relocation kit , new throttle body, coolant pump, all the hoses, hoseclamps and pump, coolant bottle, all the electrical harnesses which make it plug and play, lower front radiator,

Fact, that's the difference between our supercharger kit vs your turbocharger kit. It is also the difference between an air to air system vs an air to water system. Check us out at www.powerworks.net and choose a distributor near you! Again, your comparing your kit to ours for what reason?

As for the tuning , I also dont use the SCT but as long as i can make my kit run , drive , as reliable and run stronger who cares what tuning is used

And you have no idea how much I respect the fact that you've gone out on your own and done that. Your advertising however seems to be somewhat flawed since you seem to continually find it necessary to attack others to prove a moot point. Check us out at www.powerworks.net and choose a distributor near you! I've even admited in this forum that some of your comments about turbo vs. SC are correct, and I've even agreed that based on your advertised numbers, you make more power than we do. No one from here has made any comments one way or another about your kit, you or your capabilities other than your calibration tools don't have the same capability, yet you continue to make negative coments about us and what we are and do. So again, since you seem to be ahead of us in every way, why do you keep comparing our kit to your kit, and what exactly are you trying to prove?

If you want an EO certified package that drives like a regular car everyday with some extra zip, you can run at the track if you wanted, has the depedability, driveability, and reliability of your family car, is made of high quality castings and has an OE appearance under the hood, then take a look at our line of kits
[/QUOTE]

Dang you kit is just like mine but with less HP and TQ , harder to install and more parts to deal with !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And ours looks like it belongs there offers smooth power and is very driveable, comes with an EO and is specifically designed to fill a part of the market who is looking for exactly that. Check us out at www.powerworks.net and choose a distributor near you! (Note, another advert without slamming your product) And again, I fail to see what the significance is with your comparrisons? It is a pretty simple question and I'm not sure why you won't answer?

By the way, you failed to answer my technical questions, but that's OK since I already know the answers. So, is their really a problem here, or is the understanding that there is no reason to compare the 2 kits since they are totally different? You still seem to find it necessary to point out the obvious and appear to be attempting to make a point! So what is your point? Your kit is not the right kit for everyone, and niether is ours.

You have a turbo kit that makes more power and costs more money

WE have a supercharger kit that makes less power, covers all the Focus lines (here comes the advert again) base Ztec manual 2000 - 2004, base zetec auto, 2000 - 2004, and SVT Focus 2002-2004. Comes complete with an M-62 supercharger integrated into the manifold (high quality castings) with a complete air to water intercooling system. Comes complete with all the hoses, clamps, harnesses, 60mm tb upgrade, high flow induction system 36 or 42lb injectors (base or SVT) new calibration and an EO. And... it costs less than your Turbo kit!
Check us out at www.powerworks.net and choose a distributor near you!

Ta Da!!! Got it all in without interuption!

Tom
[/QUOTE]

#29 ·
well heres my .02 cents........ if you want to spend money and want power, your gonna have to ditch the atx tranny.....period.

as for what Tom is saying, the facts have been around for ages...... its hard to argue with a turbo kit that makes more power and destroys less engines then any other one out there..... his kit can rivel s/c kits in terms of drivability and reliability

so to settle this.....toms kit compared to the powerworks....is gonna cost the same.......... make more power........ if you want F /w an ATX look at the JRSC since there are some foci running it and not messing up their tranny's yet

#30 ·
Jerseyboy said:
At What point did this turn into a Focus Power vs. Powerworks thread? I thought the original purchaser was asking about his options with an ATX. Someone else posted that Powerworks was working on a cal that would work with a stock ATX to help him keep the cost down until he could afford the upgraded tranny. Next thing you know you have 1Turbofocus screaming that it can't be done and about how good his kit is vs. the Powerworks stuff. I think Mark has conceeded that Tom's kit makes more power pound for pound, and that each kit is unique and has it's own advantages and disadvantages. So what is left to argue about? Why not help the original poster make an educated decision (that is what he was asking about anyway right?) rather then bash another company.

Is it that people don't want to see a boosted Auto work with a stock tranny? I would think people would be happy about not having to spend an extra $1200 on a new tranny and still get a solid reliable SC (or Turbo) kit.

Tom, what seems to be your big beef with the Powerworks guys? Is there some past history I don't know about? I'm a bit new to the Focus scene (actually doing some research before purchasing an SVT Focus) but Tom seems to have alot of pent up anger towards Powerworks.

Someone help a brother out. Can't we all just get along?

Jersey[thumb]

for some backround info....... TOM makes his own turbo kit....the "focus power kit" availale at www.focus-power.com hes the grand guru of turbocharging focuses....... and well powerworks is simply his comptition in the business world....... they make a similiarly priced S/C kit, which offers less power then toms kit /w a lil more reliability though

#31 ·
focuspl99 said:
for some backround info....... TOM makes his own turbo kit....the "focus power kit" availale at www.focus-power.com hes the grand guru of turbocharging focuses....... and well powerworks is simply his comptition in the business world....... they make a similiarly priced S/C kit, which offers less power then toms kit /w a lil more reliability though

Jersey, You rock!

As far as the background information, I've even given Tom credit for doing what he is doing from a product standpoint. It doesn't really matter who designed or made the kit, (either kit) just that they are good quality and live up to their customers expectations!

#32 ·
You know its simple , If you want the best for your Focus , Highest quality , most reliable , easiest install , less parts to deal with going bad , ease of upgradeability , power from 170 to 300+ that comes with GOOD TQ , From a Company that has been here from the start and supported the Focus from the beginning ,That does not claim to have a draw full of broke and bent rods , warranty second to none , contact www.focus-power.com

If you are looking for slight "enhancement" , OE look Check out at www.powerworks.net and choose a distributor near you! OR contact a jrsc big boost kit dealer for the same type M62 SC at half the cost

Like Big Mark said "If you can't run with the Big Dogs, stay on the porch!" SC comes with a free broom , so you have something to do why on the porch!

Tom

#33 ·
Been a long time reader of this site. I would like to thank all for the info I have recieved here!

I have a powerworks supercharger on my Focus and I love it. CARB approved daily driver with absolutely NO driveability issues what so ever. If an EATON supercharger is good enough for a MBZ then it MUST be good enough for a FOCUS.

Tom, I hope this thread is not proof of your business ethics. I find it to be in quite poor taste to come into a thread and self promote like you have here.

#34 ·
1turbofocus said:
You know its simple , If you want the best for your Focus , Highest quality , most reliable , easiest install , less parts to deal with going bad , ease of upgradeability , power from 170 to 300+ that comes with GOOD TQ , From a Company that has been here from the start and supported the Focus from the beginning ,That does not claim to have a draw full of broke and bent rods , warranty second to none , contact www.focus-power.com

If you are looking for slight "enhancement" , OE look Check out at www.powerworks.net and choose a distributor near you! OR contact a jrsc big boost kit dealer for the same type M62 SC at half the cost

Like Big Mark said "If you can't run with the Big Dogs, stay on the porch!" SC comes with a free broom , so you have something to do why on the porch!

Tom
Dude, What is it with you and your attitude? Again with the attitude and lack of knowledge and factual information about competitors in your market. There is really no comparrison between us and JRSC. JRSC is non intercooled and uses a GEN 3 rotor set. There also isn't a calibration for an auto, and they make less HP and torque than we do, but hey that's OK too. There is a market for their product also![thumb]

#35 ·
Tom, please give it a rest. There are so many of us that respect what you have accomplished with boosting the Focus. However, you are easily the least professional businessman I've ever encountered. This constant slash and bash form of blatant self promotion turns many of us off. I promise you, it is not a good business model.

When I was looking for a boost kit for my car I looked closely at Tom's kit. Along with JRCS, Rousch, FS, etc. One of the things that led me away from the kit that produced the most power was the attitude that that person displayed in the forums (well, it's now only this forum it seems). Tom, you lost me because of this constant rudeness, self promotion and reluctance to accept others accomplishements. Why would someone want to have to deal with a businessman like that? I didn't. I know of several others who have voiced the same sentiment.

So... I purchased the Powerworks kit. Because... my car still meets all emissions standards (in my job I put my well being on the line protecting the environment and a 'clean' car is important to me), the kit is absolutely complete, the power provided is strong and very linear, the install was a breeze, the engineering and manufacturing are outstanding, and the people that work there are kind, courteous and very knowledgable.

There are many choices in the Focus boost world and many of them would serve you well. There is no one kit that rules all others.

#36 ·
DePue said:
Tom, you lost me because of this constant rudeness, self promotion and reluctance to accept others accomplishements. Why would someone want to have to deal with a businessman like that? I didn't. I know of several others who have voiced the same sentiment.
I second this comment.

This happens anytime Tom's see's a competitor cutting in to his product line.
I have respect for what Tom has accomplished and he obviously knows his Focus and turbo's but his unprofessionalism is that of a drug dealer saying his product is better.

Tom argued over the FocusSport SCT when first released because people were buying them like hot cakes and no one was knocking down his door for chips.

As far as the Powerworks kit, it's CARB legal, Toms kit is NOT, which is becoming more and more of a requirement for most states. Soon you'll be lucky if you can sneak an intake by the emission station. I also like the fact that PW has access to FACTORY strategy and calibration guides that are not available to everyone in the general public since.

#37 · (Edited)
You know, as many people as there are that come out and say that Tom needs to work on his tact as a businessman, it never seems to change.

Tom, this is what I've mentioned to you over and over. Are you ever going to realize, that maybe you do treat other businesses like crap and dont show them the respect they are due? What makes you so special that you can talk about other businesses in such a way? I would SOOOOO be a huge Tom fan and would pimp your business all over the place if you could only just treat other businesses and their products with respect.

#38 ·
what is funny about this whole thing is no one mentioned PW self promotion in every paragraph with PW snide remarks like mine wasent up to par with the SC in reliability and every day use as well as the snide remarks at FJ about me not able to catch them , The one i had to pull over and laugh about was the driver said "I got you in 60 foot " I told him when there is a form of racing where we only go 60 foot he will be the winner !

Im glad you like your PW kits and thats fine , Nothing wrong with that , Boost for boost , $ for $ , Id still take the jrsc add 200 for a water meth kit and your at 1/2 the cost with about the same TQ , still an OE tune with "FACTORY strategy and calibration " and with CARB

Sure there is a place for any FI some where

Tom

Tom

#41 ·
Tom... go re-read the thread. Lets see where the self promotion comes in.

The thread is titled "Powerworks". The guy asked about about whether it would work on an ATX. There is no mention of buying a turbo kit over the PW kits until your post. You were the 1st one (as usual) to self promote your turbo over someone elses product in a thread that had nothing to do with it!!!

You are shameless and as usual.. you will never look for the thing you did. You're to busy pointing fingers.

The guy asked about the PW kit, so PW has the right to say things about their kit, because THAT IS WHAT THE GUY ASKED ABOUT!!!

Please go find ANY thread where someone asked about "turbo toms kit" and another vendor popped in and said buy mine. You WONT find it.. because all other vendors have the business class to allow multiple products on the market.

It's very nice, for you to start the junk, then point fingers at others for trying to defend themselves in the fight YOU started. You did it to FocusSport to! They dont start the junk... YOU start it. Have some respect.

#42 ·
belacyrf said:
Tom... go re-read the thread. Lets see where the self promotion comes in.

The thread is titled "Powerworks". The guy asked about about whether it would work on an ATX. There is no mention of buying a turbo kit over the PW kits until your post. You were the 1st one (as usual) to self promote your turbo over someone elses product in a thread that had nothing to do with it!!!

You are shameless and as usual.. you will never look for the thing you did. You're to busy pointing fingers.

The guy asked about the PW kit, so PW has the right to say things about their kit, because THAT IS WHAT THE GUY ASKED ABOUT!!!

Please go find ANY thread where someone asked about "turbo toms kit" and another vendor popped in and said buy mine. You WONT find it.. because all other vendors have the business class to allow multiple products on the market.

It's very nice, for you to start the junk, then point fingers at others for trying to defend themselves in the fight YOU started. You did it to FocusSport to! They dont start the junk... YOU start it. Have some respect.
Owned.

#43 ·
1turbofocus said:
If you thinking between SC and turbo just ask some of the 56 people that i gave rides to at jetfest after clmbimg out of the PW big boost and regular then into mine and see what they say about what way they would go

Tom
cough cough.....Shameless Self Promotion.

BlownFocus Say:
Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

Tom, you might want to think about pulling out of this "pissing" match....I think you may be out numbered and out classed.......Infact I know you are.[bootyshak

one more thing, I have read some threads about the track....are you sure your data is correct there? Looks like the PW Focus may have handed you your ass.

#44 · (Edited)
Well Bela as usual your lips are in motion before your brain is engaged. YOU go back and read [read] The first two posts wanted info and opinions about which power adder SC or turbo,and which would get him the most for his money, which Tom offered his opinion just like you guys. Although the three of you took the oppotunity to attack Tom with various cheap shots. Like PW isn't self promoting??

You must have started the the pissing match because you MIGHT be able to piss farther than Tom, but you certainly CAN't catch any of his car's.

Blown focus ??[8]

OH, Focus racer which ever you choose, ATX can be upgraded with the Lentech pkgs, personally I had a jrsc on my 2002zx5 ATX . VERY disappointed in the power increase/ for the money, sold the car and the jrsc. bought an SVT and turbo,Tom's as a matter of fact. never been happier with the power,response and service........The quality remains long after the price is forgotten....They were right about one thing, No comparison!!

#45 ·
I think Tom's confidence and knowledge in his product can come across as disrespectful towards other products or just plain arrogant on the boards, BUT having spoken at length with this guy in person at JetFest I can tell you that he indeed does know what in the hell it is he is talking about.

Are the PowerWorks SCs as balls-to-the-wall as a turbo, no, but thats not the nature of SCs or there would be SC'd STis and EVOs running around.

Both FIs serve a function and serve it well. I drove both flavors at JF and I personally liked the kick in the pants of the turbo. Others liked the smoother delivery of the SC even though they are sacrificing ponies. Nobody will win this argument as it is all based on opinion.

#46 · (Edited)
belacyrf said:
Tom... go re-read the thread. There is no mention of buying a turbo kit over the PW kits until your post.
Bela can YOU not read , The first thing that was talked about in his post was QUOTE "Hey all. Im planning to go forced induction pretty soon so Im gathering ideas and possibilities to get the best for my money. Ive been thinking of going turbo whether with a custom kit or buying one. "

See Bela here it is again because you missed it the first time he said QUOTE " the best for my money " AND " Ive been thinking of going turbo " Then he stated about wanting a PW but didnt think it would fit a ATX

He asked about going turbo and i answered him with ask the people that i took for a ride at JF , try to at least catch the important things in a thread before you attack me

Tom

#48 ·
DePue said:
Tom, please give it a rest. There are so many of us that respect what you have accomplished with boosting the Focus. However, you are easily the least professional businessman I've ever encountered. This constant slash and bash form of blatant self promotion turns many of us off. I promise you, it is not a good business model.

When I was looking for a boost kit for my car I looked closely at Tom's kit. Along with JRCS, Rousch, FS, etc. One of the things that led me away from the kit that produced the most power was the attitude that that person displayed in the forums (well, it's now only this forum it seems). Tom, you lost me because of this constant rudeness, self promotion and reluctance to accept others accomplishements. Why would someone want to have to deal with a businessman like that? I didn't. I know of several others who have voiced the same sentiment.

So... I purchased the Powerworks kit. Because... my car still meets all emissions standards (in my job I put my well being on the line protecting the environment and a 'clean' car is important to me), the kit is absolutely complete, the power provided is strong and very linear, the install was a breeze, the engineering and manufacturing are outstanding, and the people that work there are kind, courteous and very knowledgable.

There are many choices in the Focus boost world and many of them would serve you well. There is no one kit that rules all others.
I have to agree with DePue here. From some of the posts I have been reading, it seems you like to tear other people down to pump yourself up. I don't know if it's because your mother never held you as a child or your father never hugged you but you really do need to grow up. I am in the process of buying an SVT Focus and I would really like to boost the performance with some sort of forced induction. I'm a turbo guy from my old Turbo Dodge days so naturally I prefer Turbos. I had heard people mention your kit and what it could do so I checked it out. Impressive performance, albeit a little on the pricey side for what you get. I was really leaning towards it until I started reading some posts and seeing how you treat people. Everyone is an idiot but you. Nobody can build a good forced induction kit, but you. Hell, mab351 even complemented you on your accomplishments and you still attacked him. It really makes me question how I will be treated as a customer if I buy this from you. I'm still up in the air as to what kit I will go with but your arrogance and rudeness has helped me to decide which kit I will NOT go with.

I know my one kit sale may not mean anything to you, but I'm sure there are others out there that feel the same way. My one kit, may turn into two kits, which turn into 3 kits... In this business, professionalism and service are everything. I have worked in the high performance aftermarket and driven alot of really fast cars. Since this will be my daily driver, reliability and customer service is a big concern to me. I want to know that the kit is going to work, AND that the person selling it is going to work with me IF something happens. I just don't get the the impression that you are this type of person and quite frankly do not want to be associated with someone who isn't.

I wish you all the luck in the world with your future endeavors. Hopefully one day you will wake up and realize that when you have a good product, you don't need to rip on everyone elses to make yours seem better. The product will speak for itself, and satisfied customers will be your best advertisements.

Jersey

#49 ·
Jerseyboy said:
I have to agree with DePue here. From some of the posts I have been reading, it seems you like to tear other people down to pump yourself up. I don't know if it's because your mother never held you as a child or your father never hugged you but you really do need to grow up. I am in the process of buying an SVT Focus and I would really like to boost the performance with some sort of forced induction. I'm a turbo guy from my old Turbo Dodge days so naturally I prefer Turbos. I had heard people mention your kit and what it could do so I checked it out. Impressive performance, albeit a little on the pricey side for what you get. I was really leaning towards it until I started reading some posts and seeing how you treat people. Everyone is an idiot but you. Nobody can build a good forced induction kit, but you. Hell, mab351 even complemented you on your accomplishments and you still attacked him. It really makes me question how I will be treated as a customer if I buy this from you. I'm still up in the air as to what kit I will go with but your arrogance and rudeness has helped me to decide which kit I will NOT go with.

I know my one kit sale may not mean anything to you, but I'm sure there are others out there that feel the same way. My one kit, may turn into two kits, which turn into 3 kits... In this business, professionalism and service are everything. I have worked in the high performance aftermarket and driven alot of really fast cars. Since this will be my daily driver, reliability and customer service is a big concern to me. I want to know that the kit is going to work, AND that the person selling it is going to work with me IF something happens. I just don't get the the impression that you are this type of person and quite frankly do not want to be associated with someone who isn't.

I wish you all the luck in the world with your future endeavors. Hopefully one day you will wake up and realize that when you have a good product, you don't need to rip on everyone elses to make yours seem better. The product will speak for itself, and satisfied customers will be your best advertisements.

Jersey
What I find common in all the anti-Tom's is the double standard you all speak with,not to mention the unspoken bias that comes from obviously a product loyalty behind the scenes.
Tom expresses his views on the advantages and superiority of the turbo over the SC and you guys turn it into a personality disorder.Then you attack him under the guise of being rude and insensitive to other people, a bunch of pseudo-intellectual hyenas.You want senstivity,take a Lamaze class. You want equall representation,join the ACLU... You want the most available power and speed get a turbo.

Make all the excuses you want,criticize him at every turn for every thing he says or even thinks,but his kit will still outrun you and yours.

#51 ·
microtonal said:
All I keep hearing is.
"My sales are low, buy my product because it's better.
"

[rolleyes]
Is that coming from one competitor to another??

What is micro-tonal anyways ?... talking while pinching your nose in a whiney voice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.