Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Power Steering Failure on brand new 2012 Focus

420K views 251 replies 73 participants last post by  MK3 ST3 
#1 · (Edited)
The power steering failed on my brand new 2012 Focus SE hatchback. I made a turn at a speed of approximately 10 mph and the power steering failed with the warning STEERING ASSIST FAULT SERVICE REQUIRED. I managed, with great difficulty, to pull over and stop the car. When I started the car again the warning had cleared and the power steering was normal. It is fortunate both that I was driving, and not my wife, as she isn't strong enough to steer without power steering, and that I was on a street with low traffic.

The car is at a dealer awaiting repair. Given that the car is brand new, I am extremely worried about driving it, even if the mechanics at the dealer claim that it is repaired. I checked the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration web site and found a report of a similar incident, from July 2011, where a similar power steering failure occurred at 60 mph.

I was disappointed that Ford didn't offer me a rental car as a courtesy(well the dealer who sold me the car did, sort of: the problem is that I'd have to travel an hour and a half to New Jersey by public transportation to one of the dealerships in his franchise in order to pick up and drop off a rental car, as the car is being repaired at a different dealer from the one where it was purchased). I realize that a rental car is not part of the standard warranty, but I thought that Ford would give me one without question out of sheer professional pride, given that I've had their new car a grand total of four days before the power steering failed.

See less See more
#2 ·
The power steering failed on my brand new 2012 Focus SE hatchback. I made a turn at a speed of approximately 10 mph and the power steering failed with the warning STEERING ASSIST FAULT SERVICE REQUIRED.
The car is at a dealer awaiting repair.
Hi NYCZPlan,

I replied to your post in a different thread, but wanted to respond here as well. I know it's upsetting when such a new vehicle experiences issues. Please PM me your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state so I can help get your Focus back on the road.

~Natasha

#11 · (Edited)
This problem occurred again yesterday. I will be taking the car to a Ford dealer Wednesday for repairs.
NYCZPlan - Sorry to hear it happened again. Resend me your info and I'll escalate this.

"Steering Assist Fault Service Required" power steering seemed to shut off. Somewhat unbelievable...this is suppose to be our new reliable car. Taking it to dealer.
Hi mike41stoller,

Welcome to the forum! Please send me a private message with your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state so I can help.

Edited to add - Glad you were taken care of! Let me know if you have any questions.

~Natasha

#8 ·
We just had the same exact issue this morning. Brand new 2012 Focus SE Hatchback, do not even have my plates yet, just a week after purchase from Koons Ford. "Steering Assist Fault Service Required" power steering seemed to shut off. Somewhat unbelievable...this is suppose to be our new reliable car. Taking it to dealer.

#12 · (Edited)
Hello Mike Stoller,

The Ford dealer that has my car informs me that there is no software update available from Ford, so I am curious as to what software update was done to your vehicle. The dealer here will attempt to reproduce the issue, but that will probably be a waste of time, as they weren't able to last time they had the car for service. The issue occurs randomly.

When the power steering failed on your Focus, did turning off the car and staring it again restore the power steering? This is what occurred both times with my car.

Also, could you send me a private message with the name of the dealer who serviced your car(and phone if you have it). I'd like to speak with the technician who worked on your car. Maybe he has some information to share with the dealer that has my car.

#15 ·
The Ford dealer that has my car informs me that there is no software update available from Ford, so I am curious as to what software update was done to your vehicle. The dealer here will attempt to reproduce the issue, but that will probably be a waste of time, as they weren't able to last time they had the car for service. The issue occurs randomly.
Glad your CSM is working on your situation! [:)]

~Natasha

#18 · (Edited)
Update:

Ford was unable to find anything wrong with the car. Further, they aren't willing to do any work on the car until they can reproduce the issue. Since the power steering fails at random, Ford will not be able to duplicate a failure, hence will never attempt a repair. So I'm stuck.

I just noticed that Ford dropped 10 spots this year in the Consumer Reports reliability rankings. I can see why. Too bad I didn't read this before I purchased the vehicle.

#19 ·
NYCZ I would demand that they at least replace the Power Steering module control bd. You have an intermittent dangerous problem. They need to replace the board and see if the intermittent problem goes away. If it does not they can return your old board. i was a electronic copier tech for 33 years. I always trouble shot difficult electronic intermittent problems by trying a board swap. Electronics is electronics demand they try the board swap before someone gets hurt!!

#21 · (Edited)
Bob,

Thanks for the posting.

After the first power steering failure(4 days after I purchased the vehicle) I was told that the failure was probably a fluke, and if it recurred they would do something about it.
Well, it recurred, and Ford's line now is that they won't try anything unless they can reproduce the error. Pardon the sarcasm, but I suppose one should understand that the warranty doesn't cover intermittent issues.
I do not believe that Ford will do anything about it until there are a sufficient number of complaints or they are forced to act by a regulator. The only recourse I have is the state Lemon Law.
I should've read Consumer Reports.

#22 ·
Escalate it to the regional manager if need be, or contact Ford USA. "FordCustomerService" (Natasha) may be able to help also, she has a lot of connections.

I agree this is a highly dangerous situation. You should not have to risk your safety over this, I'd say make as much noise as possible and demand they replace the rack. Get in touch with the BBB if necessary and file a claim if you feel it's appropriate.

#23 ·
Hello DarinS,

Thank you for your comments.

Unfortunately this line about no action until the problem can be reproduced is coming from/confirmed by Ford USA, including the regional representative to whom I was referred from this site.

I'll explore other options, including those you suggested.

#25 ·
NYCZPlan,

Our Focus SE is back at the dealer. It sounds like the exact same issue as you have had...within a few minutes of starting operation, power steering fails and Steering Assist Fault displays on the dash. This is while the car is in motion. It first occured the second week after purchase, and then four days later. Each time, on next re-start the steering comes back and fault is gone.

Will let you know how this resolves.

#26 ·
Our Focus SE is back at the dealer. It sounds like the exact same issue as you have had...within a few minutes of starting operation, power steering fails and Steering Assist Fault displays on the dash.
I'm glad you brought it back to the dealer. Keep me posted on the repair.

~Natasha

#42 ·
The power steering failed once again on Sunday morning, exactly four weeks after the last occurrence. I have scheduled a service appointment.
I'm sorry it occurred again. I will keep a look out for your update.

Natasha, if you're here, is that really Ford's stance? The problem has to happen in front of them, even when there is electronic confirmation of the customers claims? I could understand a smaller electrical issue, but steering failure? That just seems grossly negligent of your customers safety.
Hi smizak,

Intermittent issues can be very tough to diagnose, and the codes that were stored may not have pointed to a specific cause. That could be why it needs to be replicated. Be assured though, safety is always kept in mind with all concerns.

~Natasha

#34 ·
They refuse to replace it, in fact state that they won't attempt any repair until they can reproduce the error. Since the error has occurred randomly(3 days after I purchased the vehicle, then 33 and 28 days later, respectively) this means that unless they keep the car for a month and drive it once a day, odds are the power steering won't fail for them when they test the car.

#38 ·
When I wrote "Ford's position" I should've mentioned that this meant both Ford the manufacturer and the dealership where I took the vehicle for service. Both took the same position.

The NHTSA is a good idea but I'm guessing that it will take a long time and many complaints from different people before there's any action from them.

#39 ·
On my Volkswagen, there was a CEL and the engine felt a little funny. The light turned off before I could get it to the shop, but I took it anyway. Sure enough, there was a stored coded for the rear oxygen sensor failing, they replaced it without question and free of charge. That is precisely why codes are stored, most problems are intermittent.

I'm having a hard time believing that Ford would refuse to help when the computer is telling them that the module is failing. All they would do if it did fail for them is read the code anyway, it seems redundant.

Natasha, if you're here, is that really Ford's stance? The problem has to happen in front of them, even when there is electronic confirmation of the customers claims? I could understand a smaller electrical issue, but steering failure? That just seems grossly negligent of your customers safety.

#40 ·
.........they replaced it without question and free of charge. That is precisely why codes are stored, most problems are intermittent.

I'm having a hard time believing that Ford would refuse to help when the computer is telling them that the module is failing. All they would do if it did fail for them is read the code anyway, it seems redundant.

If the problem was in the harness instead of the module, replacing the module would do no good. Or if the problem wasn't really a problem but rather a failure in fault monitoring circuitry then....... you just have a problem in customer confidence.

"Natasha" works for Ford and is Ford........ $$$$

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.