Focus Fanatics Forum banner

HOWTO: Peripheral Electronics ipod Interface to 05+ stock headunit w/ AUX

71K views 86 replies 42 participants last post by  REDYPS 
#1 · (Edited)
I tried to maximize the number of search words in the title to help people out, because I know its been asked 394 times, mostly with the "get a new headunit" response. That irks me lots.

I got tired of seeing everyone asking what item they'd need, or how to do this, so I tore my installation apart and took a few pictures to share. Takes a whole 10 minutes.

Our best friend here is a Peripheral Electronics PXDP2. I picked it up from Best Buy for $99+tax, but appears they aren't stocking them any longer. The original sticker price was $149. You can enter your ZIP code on PE's site for local dealers in your area. I've seen a couple other products around, but I can't vouch for them. I got this one because it would do exactly what I wanted it to do: I connect it, and I don't have to look at it again.

NOTE: Your headunit must say "MP3" on it, or this will NOT work.
If it doesn't, then "get a new headunit", which irks me, applies to you unfortunately. And FM transmitters suck. :(

So, lets get started here.

Removing the bezel around the stereo. There is already a howto about this, but oh well. I was having fun taking pictures.

Grab the top lip of this guy, and give it a little tug down to remove it:

a little product placement in there.

Now that the little useless tray it out of the way, stick your hand up in there, and GENTLY push the bezel out. There are four prong things that hold it into the plastic. Once you get the bottom out, work your fingers along the edges, and then pop the upper ones out.

NOTE: For automatics, pull the parking brake, and put it into 1st to give yourself some space.

Next, check out your new goodies.

The only thing missing is the cable for the ipod, as I ran it along the console and into the armrest. The sucker is 11ft long, so you can pretty much run it anywhere your little heart desires.

Next up, remove the radio. There are four 7mm bolts holding it in. Be careful not to drop them, or you'll be putting three of them back, because you've dropped one down under the carpet. Not that I know this from personal experience or anything.

Unplug the big connector, and put the PE harness in line with it. Also, the other little connector goes into the empty spot on the radio.

MAKE SURE YOU SET THE DIP SWITCHES ON THE LITTLE INTERFACE BOX, OR ITS NOT GOING TO WORK PROPERLY.

Plug everything into the interface box, and tuck it away.

It sits in there pretty nice. Couldn't find any zip ties, so we'll see what happens.

Now slide everything back in place, and reverse the order of removing the radio.

All set!

Here is where I put my ipod:

Easiest way to do this is to disassemble the arm rest, because you'll have to drill two holes. I put a rubber grommet in there to prevent any rubbing, and its a little more aesthetically pleasing than a boring hole in plastic. ($1 from autozone in the help parts. I believe its a Toyota PCV something-or-other).

Now, the best part: Forget that the iPod is there! The only time you need to touch it is to connect or disconnect it. The headunit and steering controls will control everything. This was the deal maker for me with this item. I don't like to take my eyes off the road to fiddle with things. The menuing system allows you to select playlists/etc.

I hope this helps people out! If you have any questions, drop me a line. I'll probably be quick to answer on weekdays, because this place helps keep my sanity while at work.

EDIT: Adding armrest pictures!

The first thing you want to do here, is remove the plastic bit from behind the armrest.
You should be able to pry it out with your fingers. Start at the top and pop it out.

Next up, remove these two screws! They hold the whole armrest on.

After you've taken the screws out, remove the two plastic circles. They're only held on by a pair of clips. Be a little gentle with them.

This is what happens when you take a header into your car after slipping on ice:

It makes the armrest wobble a little bit, but those plastic circle bits hold things in place. The pivot for the armrest is only plastic.

Next up, remove one screw on each side. This releases part of what holds the black inner plastic part to the rest of the armrest:

After this, remove the 3 screws holding the top of the armrest:

Once you have those screws out and the cover set aside, you'll notice a notch that was hiding. Place anything flat in there, and it will just come loose.

NOW BE CAREFUL because the front of the inner part of the armrest is held in with two clips:

That pretty much disassembles the whole deal. Then you just need a spade bit to cut the holes into the inner and outer pieces. I think I used a 1/2" bit. I just sized one up with the plug that goes into the PE interface box.

The bottom:

The inner part:

This is where the wiring ran down into the whole console:

Now, when you wire this in, it needs to be done BACKWARDS. Because you'll never get the connector for the ipod through these holes.

To remove the whole console, its only held in by 3 screws. One under each cup holder in the front, and then under a plastic plug in the rear cup holder (good luck removing this -- and it will probably be destroyed upon removal). Unplug heated seats/traction control switches, wrestle it out of the way, and run your wiring. You shouldn't have any problems getting the wire up from the bottom and into the cavity where the radio goes.

Reverse the process, and voila, all the wiring is hidden.

BRIEF UPDATE: socalsuzuki sent me a message about this interface causing Mustangs to go haywire (gauges not working, car not starting, etc). I emailed Peripheral Electronics, and got a reply back assuring me that the problem is only with the Mustang, and not the Focus.

See less See more
#30 ·
I installed my PE PXDP2 just like it says in the manual and by your description but I'm still having a problem getting it to work.
The iPod has then PE logo on it, the radio reads "SAT1" but I still have no control over my iPod. It won't playback or display controls through my stereo.

After the basic install, is there anything else I need to do to get this thing functional? None of my buttons seem to do anything.

Here's my equipment:
2007 Focus, ZX5 SES
1 Disc CD Changer Says "MP3" on the face
No Satellite Radio
Fits the wire harness completely
I have tried with both a gen 3 iPod and gen 5.

#35 ·
As per the PM that I answered at such an ungodly hour this morning --

I emailed PE, and asked if they changed the design or anything, so that I can update this for everyone.

Its just odd that mine says it works with a 2005-2006 Focus, but the one that you got says it doesn't work.

#36 ·
I can't seem to edit my post anymore.

I did receive a response from PE's Technical Advisor:

"We did remove the 05-07 Focus from the application guide due to the heavy amount of calls we were receiving about recognition issues. I am not aware of any wiring change in the vehicle though. As long as your friend has a 05-07 Focus the wiring should be identical to yours."

I don't know what this means, as the wiring is definately different in regards to those two mystery wires.

I suggest you give them a call and see what they have to say.

#40 ·
question 2007

i was looking on peripheral's site and it says for the PXAMG:

"Vehicle Compatibility Notes

* All Vehicles
o Radio must be satellite capable or satellite ready. Requires vehicle specific harness (sold separately)."

so, my question is...is the audiophile 6 disk in dash cd player on a 2007 satellite capable or satellite ready?

#41 ·
Another frustrated 07 owner!

i was looking on peripheral's site and it says for the PXAMG:
"Vehicle Compatibility Notes
* All Vehicles
o Radio must be satellite capable or satellite ready. Requires vehicle specific harness (sold separately)."
Read a little further (just below your above quotes) and you’ll see:
Ford/Lincoln/Mercury:
· Not compatible with Microsoft's SYNC
· Non-navigation radios must have an "AUX", “Sirius”, or “SAT” button on the face of the radio

Now…does this mean both statements are true, or for Ford/Lincoln/Mercury the “All Vehicles” statements are not true?
Does it mean I can use this unit for an iPod, but since my OEM radio is not SAT capable, I simply won't have access to that feature?

I’m in the same boat as you? I have a 2007 Focus with OEM radio with 6-CD in dash changer and am trying to find something to hook up an iPod (or preferably the new 80GB Zune) to my OEM radio without losing anything (like the 6-CD changer). I'm assuming the animal I'm looking for will use the AUX button on the front of the radio (as in the last Peripheral warning 'bout Ford vehicles)?

Got an e-mail in now to both Peripheral and P.I.E. asking if they make such an animal for the 2007.

The PXAMG sounds like it might work, but the price is starting to escalate and it sounds like I’d be paying for features I don’t really need?

I’m also leaning toward the Zune 80GB player (not a big iPod fan) and wondered if anyone in here knows if the Zune will work with the Peripheral setup?

#43 ·
Automated reply?

Well I got a "confirmation" from Peripheral, but it looks like a standard reply-didn't (specifically) answer a lot of my questions. Below is the e-mail I sent 'em with their reply (I'll be calling 'em in an attempt to get answers for the specifics they didn't address):
To Peripheral
I have a 2007 Ford Focus ST with the OEM radio/6-CD changer, and would like to add an iPod/Zune adapter to work with my factory radio. Can you tell me:
1. Do you make such a device?
2. If so, will I retain my 6-CD changer capability (6-CD changer is not a remote-is built into the OEM radio itself)
3. Will it work with Microsoft ZUNE? (I prefer it to iPod)
Some notes on my OEM radio: It has a built in 6-CD changer It is MP3 capable (plays MP3s burned to CD) It does have an "AUX" button on the radio.
Peripheral Reply
You can use the parts listed below for an ipod and auxiliary input.
PXAMG-Universal iPod adapter with HD Radio and auxiliary audio capabilities. (vehicle specific harness required)
PGHFD1-PXAMG vehicle specific harness for Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury Vehicles.

BTW…I broke down and bought the new Zune 80 and am going to try the V1 & V2 FM Modulators from Microsoft (got 'em cheap) since I have 3 vehicles I’d like to use it in. If the FM transmitter will work in at least 1, I guess they’ll be worth the money? I have an Alpine Blackbird with FM transmitter and it works well in my Focus, decent in my Ranger, but haven’t tried it in my Jeep yet. Maybe the Zune FM Modulator will work as well or better?
Anywho…got a bunch of accessories for it on the cheap from both Amazon (many third party vendors at Amazon) and Buy.com.

Like the (physical) design of the FM Modulator from Belkin since the outlet adapter is also the mount, but they make one for the Zune 30, not for the 80. Sent Belkin an e-mail and they said they have no plans to make one for the Zune 80.

Haven’t heard back from P.I.E. yet…I’ll be giving them a call also.
I’ll post any new info I get here.

#48 ·
Well I got a "confirmation" from Peripheral, but it looks like a standard reply-didn't (specifically) answer a lot of my questions. Below is the e-mail I sent 'em with their reply (I'll be calling 'em in an attempt to get answers for the specifics they didn't address):
To Peripheral
I have a 2007 Ford Focus ST with the OEM radio/6-CD changer, and would like to add an iPod/Zune adapter to work with my factory radio. Can you tell me:
1. Do you make such a device?
2. If so, will I retain my 6-CD changer capability (6-CD changer is not a remote-is built into the OEM radio itself)
3. Will it work with Microsoft ZUNE? (I prefer it to iPod)
Some notes on my OEM radio: It has a built in 6-CD changer It is MP3 capable (plays MP3s burned to CD) It does have an "AUX" button on the radio.
Peripheral Reply
You can use the parts listed below for an ipod and auxiliary input.
PXAMG-Universal iPod adapter with HD Radio and auxiliary audio capabilities. (vehicle specific harness required)
PGHFD1-PXAMG vehicle specific harness for Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury Vehicles.

BTW…I broke down and bought the new Zune 80 and am going to try the V1 & V2 FM Modulators from Microsoft (got 'em cheap) since I have 3 vehicles I’d like to use it in. If the FM transmitter will work in at least 1, I guess they’ll be worth the money? I have an Alpine Blackbird with FM transmitter and it works well in my Focus, decent in my Ranger, but haven’t tried it in my Jeep yet. Maybe the Zune FM Modulator will work as well or better?
Anywho…got a bunch of accessories for it on the cheap from both Amazon (many third party vendors at Amazon) and Buy.com.

Like the (physical) design of the FM Modulator from Belkin since the outlet adapter is also the mount, but they make one for the Zune 30, not for the 80. Sent Belkin an e-mail and they said they have no plans to make one for the Zune 80.

Haven’t heard back from P.I.E. yet…I’ll be giving them a call also.
I’ll post any new info I get here.
Yes, Peripheral makes an iPod controller that will let your stock head unit continue to function as normal. I put one (purchased at Best Buy for $99) in a friend's '07 with a six disc changer last week. Very simple installation (takes about 10 minutes)

#53 ·
Can anyone help me out, or would it just be better for me to purchase a head unit that is USB compatable?
If that is the case, would I be able to use the stock sub and steering wheel controls with an A/M head unit?

[???:)] [???:)] [???:)] [???:)] [???:)] [???:)] [???:)] [???:)]

#55 ·
I second this! I have a Zune and would like to have the ease of one cable to charge and transmit data off one cable.

Please someone say theres a solution that doesnt involve buying a new head unit!

#58 ·
jpimpin: There's a ford part that hooks up to the antenna and lets you connect to the audio jack I've heard its a decent alternative but not great. As far as other options, I'm sure theres something that'll let you keep the oem HU but I personally haven't searched.

For those wondering about this piece, I have it and I love it. I have the audiophile and it works wonders. I dont have the armrest drilled, but am going a different route as far as making the cable look more OEM. to come at the end of the month....

#60 ·
^I believe he has an 07 ZX3.

I have an 03 SVT, but I think I'm just gonna get the FM modulator ( or whatever it's called) I have to drive from Dallas to El Paso next week. I have a shorty antenna, and a jacked up audiophile 6 disk that don't work. Thats gonna make for a long drive. NO MUSICA!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I guess Imma buy a lot of Monster!!

#61 ·
^I believe he has an 07 ZX3.
Alright, with a 2007 focus, peripheral electronics does make devices that could be used for your Zune. If you want all the options such as seeing artists, albumbs, etc. displayed, you we have to use an iPod. You could use a device by peripheral but it's just like any aux. jack. There will be no information displayed and your player will not charge. if you decided to go with an iPod instead, you would definately want to look into Peripheral like I am.

#62 ·
I purchased a PXAMG model for my 2007 with Audiophile set up. I used it for one day and it was FANTASTIC!

Then the next day I was driving and playing my ipod thru the stereo and I stopped at a 7-11. When I got back in and turned my car on, the readout on the head unit said "No Aux Audio" and the ipod would no longer play thru the head unit! I disconnected the ipod and re-connected it. Same result. I even pulled the head unit and rechecked all the wiring harness connections and re-installed the head unit. Still no luck.

For the last TWO months I've been fighting with the e-tailer I purchased the device from- they took that long to respond to my repeated requests for a RMA so I could return the device for a replacement! I would absolutely NOT RECOMMEND Endless Performance in any way. They even tried to blame Peripheral for the delay; but unknown to them I had been in regular contact with Peripheral tech support AND their Endless Performances sales rep who said Endless were the ones dropping the ball, as it were.

Basically, when it worked, it was great. The sound was clear, the steering wheel controls worked the ipod like Peripheral claimed and I was stoked!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.