Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Not Satisfied

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • Extremely Disappointed

Votes: 10 11.8%

Overall Satisfaction w/Focus DCT

12K views 104 replies 38 participants last post by  Phokus 
#1 ·
A fellow member here VOLDAR brought up a good point. Let's do a poll on the overall feeling about the DCT. We have some vocal people on this board that absolutely hate it. To the point that they took a loss and dumped their Focus.

I'm sure there is a mixed crowd about this topic, but let's find out! For reference, I have had a 2012 Focus for about 8 months now with DCT, and I've had zero problems.....so far. I am very low on mileage at 7,700. So I will have to wait and see.

So have at it and make your choice! Discussion is welcome, but let's please try to keep it semi-civil lol.

All thanks go to VOLDAR for the idea!

#2 ·
I had to go with satisfied. There have been times when I have been not satisfied, like after all of the three updates I have had the dealer do and it was relearning everything. I think they could include some base parameters that could be a whole lot better than this thing starting off completely clueless as to how to and when to shift until you drive it a few hundred miles. PITA. Now, after 17,000 miles, I am mostly satisfied and occasionally more than satisfied, but extremely satisfied seemed over the top for how I feel. I don't think the DCT is any kinda deal breaker, and I am waiting for Ford to adapt it to the ST. Then I will consider upgrading to the ST, as I am over shifting gears in my DD.

#5 ·
I don't know about that, it appears by most accounts that both the '12s and '13s have the same hardware and software (provided the '12s have been updated properly). It's probably just that the '13s haven't been out as long; sometimes the DCT quirks take time to manifest.

#95 ·
With luck '12 owners will get retrofitted with the updated equipment. Or at least as units come in, as opposed to a complete recall...

My DCT runs nicely, save for "the noise" which - either which way - is normal. Most of the time it can't be heard, so I treat it as a non-issue. If something happens, it does - until then, no problem. And even with "the noise", the transmission is smooth as silk - still the best I've ever driven, noise or not.

I do wonder, for those who claim there are no problems, do they even know what "the noise" is? I've had passengers who've not heard "the noise" at all...

Car sales would plummet
More and more people are tired of the sheer lack of ethics in our society as a whole these days... but I digress.

#4 ·
Need option: It was OK before Ford 'fixed' it. I'll just mark 'extremely disappointed', I guess. Last summer I would have picked 'extremely satisfied'. What a difference a dealership visit or 6 can make.

I've had the clutch/oil seal TSB done and it's tolerable for now, but it's certainly nothing like what I purchased.

The car I purchased didn't have gaps in power delivery between gears and it didn't roll back 2 seconds after being parked. While it was way too eager to upshift, at least it worked like a DCT is supposed to, with a nice seamless and barely perceptible transition between gears. It sure as hell isn't like that now, and I doubt that it ever will be again, considering the brand new ones I've driven have these same flaws.

I don't think the DCT hardware is too bad, even though I've already dealt with a shoddy seal, but the software is absolutely atrocious. And like a lot of software, it seems to be getting worse with every update.

#6 ·
I voted extremely satisfied, because it is the reality. I don't even try to compare the DCT with any slushboxes I drove (not owned though). I come from a life driving MT so my impressions may be biassed, because the DCT is acting more like a MT and not an slashbox AT. I am for sure not "conditionned" to "slushbox driving experience" and I love it. Yes, I know it can be the "mother of all the frustrations" when it is not programmed properly (because of poor technical expertise of the people working in some Ford dealerships, mostly). My advice to those who experience these problems would be : change the F... dealer ! Get a second opinion ! Do something to solve your problems. The time you spend here complaining day long about the DCT is time lost for you getting the DCT fixed. Because IT CAN BE FIXED ! I had problems with my DCT after an update, but I chose to focus on finding a solution to my problem, not on bashing on the forum against DCT. And the problem was solved - the dealer from whom I bought the car was changed for a better one too ! So, yes, I enjoy driving my FF and WizeGuyDezignz, I thank you for mentionning my name, but you did the poll. So, kudos to you !

#7 ·
My advice to those who experience these problems would be : change the F... dealer !
Yes, that is the correct course of action. Do not contact customer service because they will just refer you to a defender of the dealership that caused your problems. Just drive to another dealer and pretend like you never visited the first one.

That's what I should have done several months ago.

Oh well... live and learn.

#11 ·
Hey Ford, you listening?

Since many of the issues have been in the software, I think Ford would be smart to offer at least two distinct setups. If I had stopped at DCT V3.0, I may have said extremely satisfied. But when the dealer installed DCT V4.0, which in my observation made D more like S and S more like D. I liked it when D was gauged toward hypermiling, and S was much more aggressive than it is now. In D with V3.0 all I had to do was just move the accelerator pedal a little further and I could have the D that I am stuck with all the time now with V4.0. And in S with V3.0 it seemed to hold lower gears longer and was much more aggressive with the downshifts when slowing for corners. It used to be with V3.0 when I was up in the canyon, I could just leave it in S auto and was satisfied. Now I frequently have to go to select shift to get the results I used to get in S auto mode. Why make it one size fits all when one size doesn't fit all, and it would be real simple to outline the characteristics of two different options and let the consumer choose which setup they wanted to have in their car. If you sell the car, the new owner can change it to the other option if they want. It is just a software update.

#88 ·
It makes me happy to see all those who love their ride; thanks for taking the time to share. [:)]

For everyone who voted that they’re not satisfied, I can help by arranging a call from your regional customer service managers. Be sure to send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, approximate mileage, dealer details, and VIN.

If you live north of the border and are having a concern, I highly recommend calling the great agents with Ford Canada at 1-800-565-3673 to get assistance.

... I think Ford would be smart to offer at least two distinct setups...
Those are some good ideas, AZfocus2012; I suggest submitting them here:

http://Social.Ford.com/your-ideas

Cory

#13 ·
Customization would be the best option. I would really like to see a list of characteristics that the consumer could select from and then ford would install software with the characteristics that you wanted. But I don't see that ever happening although it should. I would be happy just to get V3.0 re-installed. The constant creep feature to satisfy the hydro auto folks, seems to me like it would greatly decrease the life of the clutch pack with all that slipping to keep moving forward. When I drove a manual 30 years ago I would never sit in stop and go traffic in first gear and just modulate the clutch, due to wear on the throw out bearing and the clutch. But that is what I have now?

#15 ·
I have mix feelings about my transmission. My 2013 Focus SFE (only 640 miles, purchased last saturday) does not always make the grinding noise(hear/feel very little ) but it is still there. It hesitates some in acceleration from 1st to 2nd gear. Does it bother me alot? Probably not.. I will get used to living with the grinding noise anyway..

(I'm not quite sure if have the latest update though, since the manufacturing date of my vehicle is 12/12)

This shifting reminds me my family's 2009 Honda Civic . The civic is equipped with an I-shift transmission which jerks into gear constantly. It also hesitates when it accelerates. I took the vehicle to a honda service (in Europe) and claimed that the transmission needed an update or something. They rejected my notion by saying that all my symptoms are the characteristics of an i-shift transmission. Believe it or not. if you happened to drive that car, you would have gone crazy and worshiped your focus by heart..

I've owned more than 80 cars/SUVs (don't ask me how), you name it... Let me tell you this, focus is one of the best on my list along with Solara, S40, ACURA RL. In fact, I love my focus due to its similarity to Volvo S40 series. To make the long story short, Focus is a nice compact car which handles great at high speeds and though road conditions. The gas mileage is fantastic (37.5 Mpg, 80% highway 20% city).

#16 ·
The grin factor up in the canyon with the Focus is big. I usually have the 10 speaker Sony turned up so I haven't noticed any grinding and only a few rattles that are louder than the stereo. He77, it is a Focus not a Lexus, some people loose sight of that simple fact. For the money, I think it is one of the best options out there for the driving enthusiast, along with the BRZ and the FR-S.

#17 ·
I don't understand some people's acceptance of the lackluster build quality and engineering . Ford loves people like that....by saying it's not aLexus....wtf . Oh well it's your money and if you enjoy living with the vehicle's shortcomings...so be it. If I bought a tv and it looked like sheet ..... I would return it! Spend almost 30 grand and accept it...I think not!

#18 ·
What lackluster build quality? If I bought a cheap TV I don't expect the same picture and build quality as an expensive Samsung or Sony. There's a reason different products have different prices...

Seems a lot of newer Focus owners are forgetting that they're buying a freakin' Focus. Name any other car in the same class that is significantly better?

#20 ·
Hahahaha... what do you expect, it's not a Lexus (or Benz)? I've actually been told that, too! For complaining about a problem that didn't appear until a dealership screwed my car up.

I guess my standards are just too high. A vibration-free car IS too much to ask for at this price point, I suppose.

And repairs that don't cause new issues with your car is too much to ask for, too. After all, it's just a Ford dealership, not a professional repair facility staffed with competent techs, LOL.

#23 ·
The DCT would have been great if....software wasn't written to act like a goddamn auto...we get that...the clutches are engaging for christs sake while the brake is engaged or partially. They are eating themselves. Once your warranty is shot then you will understand when the dealer kicks you in the arze with a thousand dollar bill. These are supposedly maintenance free for 150000....good luck. Wait till owners start getting higher mileages and they hit they accellerator to merge and the focus says...not today!

#27 ·
I don't know why you would think age has anything to do with it. You've fallen into the trap of thinking the DCT is just fine and the problem is in user expectations. You're wrong: there's a lot of unit-to-unit variability in these things; just because yours works well doesn't mean all others do.

Or maybe you think one age group will be more tolerant of pronounced clutch chatter and transmission grinding? Or dealing with a clueless dealer network, or having periodic "transmission overheating-pull over" messages in normal driving? And the list goes on...

#28 ·
I only get worried about the DCT when I visit this site.

#30 ·
That's it ? Only 45 DCT owners and only 9 with problems ? I thought there are more.

#44 ·
I voted "Not Satisfied."

I'm, not going to say I'm extremely dissatisfied with the DCT itself. Mine still "grinds" and jerks, vibrates, etc. But sometimes it's a really nice transmission.

What I AM extremely dissatisfied with is the service. I've tried driving 50 miles away to other dealers and even paid a $100 diagnostics fee (I'm past bumper-to-bumper). After trying to get it fixed for almost 20k miles, I'm just done fighting for a while.

#45 ·
Miles 0-500: Satisfied; Some lurching/shuttering at very low speeds but tolerable
500-10000: Extremely Satisfied
10000-14000: Not Satisfied, Grinding, multiple service visits
14000-18000+: Extremely Disappointed, 4 versions of software, 5 service visits; Shifts are no longer smooth, it feels like someone driving a real manual with loss of power between each gear; Shuttering and grinding when warm; Transmission failing after interstate driving but recovering with a night turned off;

#50 ·
One thing you could try is disconnecting the negative battery terminal for a few minutes, which seems to erase the DCT's memory. If possible, you could then follow with the "adaptive drive cycle" outlined elsewhere in this forum.

This shouldn't hurt and it could help. Of course if your problem is oil leaking on the clutch plates it won't help at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.