Focus Fanatics Forum banner

"How To" - SVTF Header Wrap

152K views 367 replies 99 participants last post by  daspazzZX3 
#1 · (Edited)
I haven't seen this done yet, at least not in a way that looks nice.....

Header Wrap HOW-TO:

NEEDED ITEMS:
-Header Wrap (1 roll of 50'x2" is reccommended for 4-cyl engines) I had about 18" left over with that length
-Metal ties
-(optional) silicone spray sealant for wrap
-Hose Clamp(s)

TOOLS:
-2 jackstands
-Jack
-Breaker bar
-Sockets 8mm, 10mm,113mm
-PB Blaster
-Metal sheers

1. 8mm socket for header cover shield bolts (4 top, 2 bottom) (may need PB blaster to break free)(my bottom ones were already popped off the shield) re-attatch line after bolt is off
2. metal sheers to cut header heat shield
3. HAVE FUN cutting the heat shield to pieces…….
4. PB Blast the header attachment bolts and let soak
5. remove the header bolts and cat bolts…..10mm & 13mm…I loosened the header first, them went under and separated the cat and the header. Breaker bar for cat bolts. My cat bolts are not stick size.
6. pull out dipstick, it pills out
7. remove header from engine…I took it out from below.
8. Replace dipstick and cover manifold holes to keep dirt out.
9. OPTIONAL……I painted the top of the header with the HI temp Silicone paint to make it have a finished look….
10. Wrap the header…….Took me over an hour…have fun I used a hose clamp at the bottom of the header for the last part of the wrap to secure the two pieces together. I will check on that and see how it holds up to the heat.
11. Seal the wrap by painting with Hi-Temp silicone paint……it says that curing happens at 400 Deg. I will be curing mine by installing and running my car….I do not have an oven available…..3 coats seemed like enough.
12. install the header making sure not to smear the paint if you did not bake the header. Install is the reverse of removal.
13. install the dipstick
14. check all bolts for tightness once again
15. start car, and let it cook off all the header wrap residue and paint…it WILL SMOKE a LOT. As in tremendous amounts of SMOKE.....
16. I have driven the car for a day, and it has stopped smoking, but it smells from time to time like it’s burning off. I can now touch the headers without burning my hand. Under hood temps have def been reduced.

the car still smells a lil bit, and it has been a few days now......it baked on nicely though.

PICTS:

Supplies:

Nice, shiney header heat shield:

bolt removed to allow repositioning of P.S. line (so I wouldn't cut it with the shield):

bending shield to remove:

Metal sheers:

underside......need to cut here:

Popping the rivets off the sides of the shield.......almost there....

it's OFF!!!!! and it looks hideously ugly....

well, it's in one piece.....save it for the collection....

remove header from cat and engine block........pretty simple....

wrapping the header......have fun, it takes a bit....I had about 18in left over when I was finished....

showing the amount of overlap I used.....

I did it in this order:

I had to cut the one area by the lower bolt to get the wrap to lay flatter on the header....

That is the header wrapped.....next I silicone painted it to seal it.....
I did 3 coats:

1-2 coats:

finished.....it's almost a powder, so you have to be carefull not to smudge the paint....I held it by the wrap......

nice and pretty.....

next I reinstalled it....and this is the result [:)]

view from below:

so...HOW MUCH does it smoke??????

like THIS for 10 min.......

It took me 5-6 hours, taking my time, not messing up, doing it correctly.......

have fun [:)]

See less See more
#260 ·
ok, I am finally finding time to do this to the car. Planning on doing it this weekend w/ a grip of wrap that my step-dad gave me.

I was debating on wrapping my cat as well but since there was a bit of concern about frying it and no long-term useage in this dept as of yet, I decided to look into other solutions and look what I found

http://www.jegs.com/p/Thermo+Tec/750869/10002/-1

How about cutting a sheet of that and sticking it to the oil pan vs. wrapping the cat?

#261 ·
I hope this hasn't already been answered in this thread... it's really long and I already read most of it but that was even before I joined the site.

A buddy of mine told me if I were to wrap the headers that they would basically disintegrate. I don't know exactly why, maybe because the heat has nowhere to escape? idk. I don't know if there's any truth to it. I know this guy knows his stuff, but he's pretty old school when it comes to his cars.

I know there's a lot of people on here doing it, and I wouldn't mind joining them. But is there anyone who's had it wrapped for a long time or been doing this in the past to know the long-term affects?

#262 ·
he's old school? then that means that he prolly has used mild steel headers on his cars. we a have stainless steel header. this means that they will not "disintegrate".

nowhere for the heat to escape? the whole point in wrapping is for the heat to go where it is supposed to...out the tailpipe.

ive been wrapped for 2+years. i have had no ill-effects on the header. ive wrapped it twice now. so i have seen the header between wraps. its just like new!

#265 ·
this thread is REALLY long now....lol.....

My wrap is still lookin' good....I think one piece came loose but It's not going anywhere.....if boredom strikes I may re-wrap it..DEF dipping in water first.

This mod just keeps the heat IN the pipe and it flows better and scavenges. it's also tedious and it shows when you did it right. I love looking at that Knarly STOCK header now [:)]

#267 ·
Hey HaveBlue, This tread is long. I have not wrapped mine yet but it is on my to do list. So how ya liking it now that you are no longer stuck down here in Louisiana. hehe. We are having such wonderful weather right now. Lol.

#270 · (Edited)
^^^ In reference too... Focus2U

Yeh, I Think I'll Be Doing Mine Here Real Soon Cause My Heat Shield Isn't Hanging On By Much And The Rattling Is Getting Kinda Old!! Lol

I've been considering doing this since I got the car. I think I'm just going to go with the FR Ceramic coated header though. Looks twice as nice IMO and to be honest with you, I'm just too damn lazy.

#275 ·
I was curious about something guys. I just bought a HFC that has been gutted to an ORP. There are some welds in the middle where the cat used to be holding it together of course. I am wanting to wrap the ORP.

Will wrapping it cause the welds to break?

#277 ·
theres no "benefit" to the wrap other than looks and the fact that you can touch your exhaust after driving for an hr+, it does cut heat down significantly and id recommend it to anyone crazy enough, like myself, to wrap them. those headers are tight is spots and can be testy at times to keep it tightly wrapped. but all and all after the smoke stopped pouring form the engine bay, i love the outcome. id say do it if your unsatisfied with the heat in ur engine.

#281 ·
Slow03, why did you gut a HFC? you could have sold it and bought an ORP and came out with cash.

an answer to your question, i believe there is no worries in your situation. AS LONG AS the welds arent full of air and they are nice and tidy. ive read where crappy welds have a chance of breaking when being wrapped.
im assuming the HFC was tig welded back together. when it comes to tig, there is really crappy or really good. nothing in the middle.

#286 ·
I've got a question about the curing. when i wrapped my header, i cured the paint in situ on the car, and next im gonna do the ORP.

but, has anyone tried curing on the BBQ?
that way i dont have to smoke out my kitchen. and it will cure all at once, instead of over a week like the header (i could smell curing paint for that time)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.