Ford to bring back physical radio controls for frustrated touchscreen users - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
yellowmello
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96760
What I Drive: 2005 Jeep

Points 109, Level 2
Points: 109, Level: 2 Points: 109, Level: 2 Points: 109, Level: 2
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 yellowmello Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ford to bring back physical radio controls for frustrated touchscreen users

I just seen this on The Verge and it does not sound good. I hope we still get updates to MFT.

Ford is planning to bring back traditional knobs and buttons to interactive dashboards inside its vehicles. The company will go back to basics in an attempt to reduce the complexity of its in-car technology, despite becoming one of the first manufacturers to integrate touchscreens and voice recognition inside its cars, the Wall Street Journal reports.

According to Raj Nair, Ford's VP of Engineering for Global Product Development, owners have complained that its systems make it difficult to switch radio stations or change the volume. As a result, the company will reintroduce physical controls having spent "a lot of time with customers to find out what exactly are the areas that are bothering them." Ford says it has integrated SYNC and MyFord Touch in 79 percent of vehicles sold in 2013 and claims it has "double the sales mix of infotainment systems sold with Toyota and Honda vehicles."

SYSTEMS MAKE IT HARD TO SWITCH STATIONS OR CHANGE THE VOLUME

As sales of vehicles equipped with its infotainment systems increase, Ford is bracing for more criticism. Despite this, the company says that car owners with SYNC and MyFord Touch installed have a higher rate of satisfaction over those that don't no doubt helped by its support for Spotify, Amazon, and a number of other apps. While Ford hasn't said when its redesigned systems will be rolled out, it has plans to overhaul the technology in existing models as part of a summer 2013 update before Apple's iOS in the Car comes to new Honda, Mercedes, Nissan, Ferrari, Chevrolet, Kia, Hyundai, and Volvo models next year.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/17/44...c-myford-touch

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2013, 08:42 AM   #2
dervari
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 113761
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 dervari Good Standing Member
I love the clean look without all those buttons. I have no issues using voice commands and rarely use any physical buttons on the console. My GF will tinker with the volume or SKIP buttons, but that's it.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
TheNotoriousMAZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107418
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 TheNotoriousMAZ Good Standing Member
The minimal amount of buttons right now in models with MFT is perfect in my opinion. Just update the damn software so it works better and everything will be great! How hard can it be?
Old 06-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
slybarman
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105425
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium hatchback

Points 1,664, Level 23
Points: 1,664, Level: 23 Points: 1,664, Level: 23 Points: 1,664, Level: 23
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 6 slybarman Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenotoriousmaz View Post
the minimal amount of buttons right now in models with mft is perfect in my opinion. Just update the damn software so it works better and everything will be great! How hard can it be?
^^^^^

+1.

In that screen shot, are those seat heater controls on the climate screen?
Old 06-17-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92484
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL 303A Focus

FF Reputation: 2 AZfocus2012 Good Standing Member
I am no rocket scientist, I have even been told I am not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I was able to figure MFT out. I hate to see Ford dumb it down and clutter it up, when there was no real problem with the equipment, minus some software issues. Ford should just stick with MFT or not. If touching an image of button that lets you know what station you are selecting vs an actual button that tells you after the fact what you selected is an improvement?? Trouble changing volume??? Doesn't everyone's have a big volume knob right in the middle of the console?? Oh yea, I forgot, volume on the left, tuning on the right. What was Ford thinking putting one big knob in the middle that does both.

Last edited by AZfocus2012; 06-17-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:04 AM   #6
lewisra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93289
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL

Points 1,369, Level 20
Points: 1,369, Level: 20 Points: 1,369, Level: 20 Points: 1,369, Level: 20
Level Up 69% Completed
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 3 lewisra Good Standing Member
The talk of adding back buttons is directed at models other than the Focus.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:18 AM   #7
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

Points 1,491, Level 21
Points: 1,491, Level: 21 Points: 1,491, Level: 21 Points: 1,491, Level: 21
Level Up 91% Completed
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
^^^^ What lewisra said.

They are really referring to this as far as the physical buttons:

Product development chief Raj Nair told WSJ that Ford's surveys showed customers wanted to change channels or stereo volume through tried-and-true knobs, and Ford will bring some of those back. Already, a scaled-back version of MyFord Touch in the Focus compact and Escape SUV has physical climate controls rather than the capacitive ones found in the Fusion, Taurus, Edge and Explorer.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.