Front end issues with VIDEO - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
libom
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105839
What I Drive: 2002 Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 libom Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Front end issues with VIDEO

So my wifes 02 wagon has some issues up front. Not sure what they all are but im trying to resolve them without breaking the bank if I dont have to. The drivers side is wearing the tire pretty bad on the outside mostly. The front end has a clunk over bumbs even at slow speeds.It has a pretty bad shake at various times. Almost always between 50 and 60. And then usually under braking also. (Not brake related)I pulled the fron wheels off and the drivers side all seems tight. Pulled the passenger and it has a lot of side to side play. I made a quick (not so good) video.
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Any ideas ? And also the back drivers tire is cupping. Im assuming a set of struts and shocks all around probably too. They where replaced less than 20,000 miles ago. The car has 100,000.

Thanks !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #2
zpellicone
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105007
What I Drive: 2001 Pitch Black ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 zpellicone Good Standing Member
Well the clunking noise is almost always the front sway bar endlinks. Two 15$ parts, 2 bolts on each link. Very easy job, search the forum, their is info on it everywhere.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:39 PM   #3
jetrinka
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 88 5-speed XR4TI

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Memberjetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Side to side play is either the inner or outer tie rod. Its hard to tell which from your video.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:01 AM   #4
libom
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetrinka View Post
Side to side play is either the inner or outer tie rod. Its hard to tell which from your video.
What differences would you look for to tell which one ?
Old 04-09-2013, 11:24 PM   #5
scyzzo
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 111493
What I Drive: 2002 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 scyzzo Good Standing Member
You're pulling it from the inner tierod, you won't notice play from the outer if you test it that way. Inside the bellows boot (black accordion looking thing) there is a joint. Feel for it while moving the wheel. If you feel it move in and out of the socket replace the inner tierod. Place your hand on the outer tierod joint and knuckle, move the wheel side to side. If you feel play at the joint replace the outer tierod. If the end links are original just replace them. Play in end links will clunk over bumps not side to side movement in your video. It appears to be very bad inner tierod play. I don't know what else may be wrong here but it looks like you need at least an inner tie rod and an alignment. So expect $200-$250 minimum depending where you take it.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:22 AM   #6
libom
Focus Rookie

Well it seems that the inner tie rod has ALOT of play in it back and forth. Then the outer is easily moved front to back. I guess tomorrow ill go pick up inners and outers for both sides and end links too. Thanks for the input !
Old 04-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #7
scyzzo
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 111493
What I Drive: 2002 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 scyzzo Good Standing Member
Remember to count the turns when you take the outer off and use some thread lock on the inner.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:38 PM   #8
libom
Focus Rookie

well i finally got a chance to do the job. The inner tie rod end was totally shot ! The outer was pretty worn too. The end links were all worn too. THanks for the help. Now on to the next issues : )

Bookmarks & Social Networks