Focus Fanatics Forum banner

focus vs GTI = GTI driver in tears.

7K views 43 replies 32 participants last post by  FocusStrider 
#1 ·
ok....so i raced this 07 Golf GTI at the track, but no times...the stuff wasnt on i guess.
anyway. my car consitis of these mods....AEM CAI and a CHERRY BOMB TURBO muffer...thats it...and i have 2 10" Subs.
the GTI is Turboed...is it not?
i smoked him.
bad...
i laughed.
is this normal?
what do you all think?

but in this i learned a lesson....
my car is NOT faster than an SRT-4 neon..
but i knew that.

#6 ·
He probably had a standard trans and not the DSG.

In which case it makes more sense of him not knowing how to drive and losing.

#7 ·
The new GTI only comes in DSG or Manual, was it actaully the 2.5 rabbit?

I would guess it was, or he has a valet switch, and raced you with it on.

#12 ·
no, i raced a GTI 1.8 T from a red light and he was brake boosting (auto) and i jumped on him and then pulled about 1.5 cars on him and i had a fat ass friend in the car with me
all i have done is a full exhaust, intake, plug wires, coil, UDP,
i also hung with a MR2 turbo he pulled on me a little

G
#14 ·
remember guys focus has low end torque so it give you a good launch with is just as important as the rest of the run cause me and a friend of mine used to drive around a bit hes got the 04 gti 1.8 t and i got a spi and on the highway he can move and i normaly just follow but i got bored one day and cut of the O/d and passed him up on the highway and come up a ways before i let off . so i think torque plays in just as much if not more then HP

#15 ·
thats a 200hp hatch with incredible torque...

he got lucky.

#39 ·
totally i drive these all day at work and always think about buying one, there fast as is. sounds like the driver is bad.

good win.

on another hand i racer a 2008 wolfsburg jetta 6speed 200hp turbo'd stock, sameish engine from the GTI, we did a rolling start at 45ish buy the time we got to 85-90 he only has about 1/2 a car to 1 car on me. and i also know that car has some speed as well. and it had a good drive i know them.

#26 ·
It really isn't at all that much of a different situation than the previous generation. It's only a 20bhp difference but at the same time the weight has gone up quite a bit: 2857lbs vs 3100lbs...

I've run against both the new GTI's AND GLI's and neither has whooped me, but I haven't beat them either.. it's always been very close- 1/2 a fender or so...

#25 ·
^^ its getting kind of ghey.

i stomp my buddies 97 jettta al the time (his has a 2.0 n/a audi engine with all the bolt ons and a built auto tranny. but then again his stereo weight in at a good 300 lbs more on top of the factory weight

#29 ·
yes it is...my buddies 08 rabbit would WALK all over most modded zetecs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.