Fuel mileage ???? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #11
FocusRus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 109798
What I Drive: 2004 Silver Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 3 FocusRus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Kodyston: "and keep your air filter clean ".....
Check the condition of that air filter.....could not have said it better lil bro!
SR#269 'I know where the 'zetec' kicks in....'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #12
gondorian
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105695
What I Drive: 2002 wgn (Selling) 2004 2.3 wgn 5sp

FF Reputation: 7 gondorian Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CotyM View Post
most of the time I get 34-38, if hauling ass and running A/C I get like 18...
You must be REALLY MOVING to get 18. I don't think mine goes that low until triple digits, not that I would have experience with that ;)
Old 05-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #13
CotyM
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85558
What I Drive: blue, y2k, 5spd ZX3, zetec inside

FF Reputation: 3 CotyM Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
^ Lots of paved country roads with lots of bends and turns! Just ride allot between 3-5k Slowing in bends and accelerating out of them. Fun fun ;)
Hatch Nation #32

I'm mad! Your mad! We're all mad here!
Old 05-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #14
gondorian
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105695
What I Drive: 2002 wgn (Selling) 2004 2.3 wgn 5sp

FF Reputation: 7 gondorian Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
OK, I was assuming highway cruising, that makes more sense.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #15
cyfocus01
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95790
What I Drive: 01 silver zts sedan

FF Reputation: 1 cyfocus01 Good Standing Member
Two things, really.

1-You say she has owned since new, and sold it to you complaining of poor mpg? Confused here. It took 12-13 years to decide this? Not that it matters to you, the beast is yours now to love and cherish .

2-Yup, something is not right. Follow all the above, they know what they are talking about.

Me, I have an 01 ZTS ZETC slush box also. I beat the snot out of mine. 35/40 is 1st to 2nd shift when put to the wood. 2nd to 3rd is at 70 ish. I do not know when 3 to 4 would be, have not ventured past 95mph yet. Anyone know? LOL. I see redline A LOT. Like at least 5 times/wk. It gets, on average, one 30 mile trip out of town twice a month. 3500 miles a year, ish.

With that said, I am at 142,xxx miles and I have a 5 mile round trip to and from work and the highest posted speed limit is 35mph, and often never see 45 to and from. I have 4 stop signs and 2 stop lights with about a 5 minute drive to and from. I also never just get in and go. Always start up and let it come off high idle before going into gear. Hey, I'm nice to it at times. I also deliver pizza on Sunday evenings in it. 25-60 miles a night, and spend a lot of time idling in peoples driveways. Also, in the winter, I start it and let it run for about 10 minutes for my 5 minute commute. Because I hate scraping windows and it is never garaged. So, all those rambling details and the big numbers...

winter driving 18-20 mpg

this spring 22-24

have not done a long trip, over 50 miles, and have not checked mpg in summer. It is a DD beater.

I've always thought 3,000rpms at 72mph is kinda high, but my buddy said his 99 neon dohc 5spd about same.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:02 PM   #16
Nintendo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98543
What I Drive: 2000 Sedan SE Zetec

FF Reputation: 2 Nintendo Good Standing Member
My fuel econ is pretty bad too, I bought the car used and with the money I saved I dont really care that much, but for a smaller car its pretty bad.

Winter I got about 11-12L/100km mixed
Summer around 9 or 10L/100km mixed

(I drive the car very carefully, never abuse it.)

I should do the things the other posters mentioned, some very good check lists there.

My neighbor gets better f.e. than me and he has a 260hp SantaFe SUV.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:24 AM   #17
Kodyston
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 112498
What I Drive: 2003 Sangria Red ZX3; Zetec; MTX-75

FF Reputation: 3 Kodyston Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Thanks Kodyston!

Throwing out a mix of personal experience & info. gleaned here from the experience/knowledge of others is the best we can do to help anyone looking for ideas.

Credit to the group as a whole for most model specific information!

Cheers!
No problem buddy! :-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusRus View Post
Kodyston: "and keep your air filter clean ".....
Check the condition of that air filter.....could not have said it better lil bro!
lol thanks! I actually have the K&N drop in filter. It's amazing and it will probably last longer than my engine. lol That reminds me... I need to oil it. haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by gondorian View Post
You must be REALLY MOVING to get 18. I don't think mine goes that low until triple digits, not that I would have experience with that ;)
That's about right for mine too. It always seems like when it's hot outside I'm in a hurry... so I crank up the A/C and haul immortal ass redlining like crazy and looking around for cops in their little hiding spots. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyfocus01 View Post
I beat the snot out of mine. 35/40 is 1st to 2nd shift when put to the wood. 2nd to 3rd is at 70 ish. I do not know when 3 to 4 would be, have not ventured past 95mph yet. Anyone know? LOL. I see redline A LOT. Like at least 5 times/wk.
That's not bad compared to what mine sees every day. lol (I'm always runnin late for work.) And it's still tickin like a champ. :-P

Bookmarks & Social Networks