Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Transmission swap

3K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Templar 
#1 ·
Im thinking about taking a manual transmission of a 2000 focus and put it on mine like convert mine, cause its an auto.

What parts do i need after the transmission?
Any ecu?

need info quick

#2 ·
I know you need the ECU, search around, this might get better answered tomorrow. Someone recently did a swap, so you should be able to get some more info when more people are online.

#4 ·
If you can find a early 2000 focus tranny you will end up with a better syncro on 3rd, however like all of us you will need to replace it eventually. I'm doing a tranny rebuild right now, and its due to the third gear syncro even though I had the better syncro. GOOD LUCK.

#8 ·
I just did the tranny swap. Found a manual ECU on eBay for $25. Reflash at the Ford dealership was $135. Mike (b16sir1991) helped me with the parts list since he has done it before. Trust me... SO worth the effort if you like your car currently. If the donor car is better, just sell yours and buy it.

The swap is not hard. It can just be a PITA.

#15 ·
Yes, the flash was just for PATS.

My .02, since I have done the swap: If you love your car and have already modded it a bunch, do the swap. If this is your first major mod, go find a manual focus.

Mine has the all leather grey interior and full SES package. By the time I did the swap, I had already done the intake and exhaust mods.

#12 ·
You definitely wont have any fun trying to get the tranny to mount to the engine I worked on it four hours last night and got nowhere. Getting it out wont be hard but you should just look for a manual focus.

#18 ·
I cant beleive noone has tried my idea before...

Anyone know wether an XCal2 can re-flash an atx ECU to mtx? There was a thread on fj where some guy sent his to focussport, but I would rather just do it myself... This would take the dealer comlpetely out of the ECU equation [thumb]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.