Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Burnt smell and very hot wheels

15K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  phatlt23 
#1 ·
03 SVT focus. Took it out for a ride tonight for some fun. Long story short I had to get on the breaks hard. Well after doing that I noticed the most horrible smell in the world. Figured it was the breaks from the hard breaking. So I drove normal ;) another 5 miles to the house but everytime I push the clutch in it feels like something is holding it back almost like the breaks were pressed. Got back to the house and went to check the back breaks and both back wheels were actually so hot it burnt the first layer of skin off my fingers. Now this is both sides on the rear. The smell was coming from the break area and both back rims,calipers, and even lugs were so hot that when water was applied it sizzled. Emergency break was not applied, and front rotors and calipers were normal warm to the touch. Is it possible that both rear calipers went at the same time? Any tips on checking the breaks? So hot you could feel the heat from the inside of the car on the back fender wells. Lol. Actually took 45 mins for the rear wheels to cool off just to touch them. Little help please. Pads were just changed 1000 miles ago with no problems till tonight.

#3 ·
Yes sir they were.

#5 ·
Any other thoughts on this problem?

#6 ·
Inspect the hand brake cable over its entire length and the individual little spring loaded lever arms on the rear calipers themselves. You may think the hand brake is off because the interior hand brake lever is down but - with two calipers being affected simultaneously - I would suggest the hand brake cable is bound or seized somewhere or the spring loaded caliper lever arms are somehow wedged on (or at least not retracted fully.)

#7 ·
I agree the hand brake has locked on, even though the lever in car is down.
Try this:
Pull up on the interior handbrake lever hard. Then BACK UP hard, hit the brake pedal AND lower the hand brake lever same time. BACKING UP is the keyword here.
The parts may just be 'friction stuck' in the handbrake stuff. and doing this might release the stuck part.

#8 ·
Thanks guys I will deffently give it a shot

#10 ·
Had the brake calipers refuse to release completely once when a vacuum brake booster went bad.

Easy enough to tell if it's a mechanical issue like a parking brake, or residual fluid pressure (from any number of causes): just crack the bleeder screw.

#11 ·
All SVTs have ABS, so be careful when opening bleeder valves. The pressures can be higher than you think. I bet the problem is related to the brakes, but disc brakes will be very hot to the touch after driving- even in normal operation. You can fry an egg on them.

#15 ·
hate to revive an old thread but i am having the same problem my rear drive wheel smells hot and is hot to touch. i have replaced the caliper two weeks ago and am not sure what to check next i need the car to drive tomorrow so any help would be grateful. thanks in advance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.