Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Better place than the dealer for a new wheel/hubcap?

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  amc49 
#1 ·
Hit a chunk of ice off a semi truck this morning on my way into the office. bent wheel, hubcap is lost, had to change a flat in the snow/ice/slush mix (what fun that was in dress pants, in the dark, in the wet)...

Hopefully the tire is OK, but I can see a visible bend in the wheel lip. I'm almost certain that will need replaced. Is there a better place than the local ford dealership to get me a new wheel/hubcap. Not real interested in upgrades, just want the car back to normal.

Any thoughts?

#5 ·
Moved to "Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored By Tire Rack"

#6 ·
I don't know. I should've realized you had steelies when you said the hubcap (wheel cover) was lost. However they might. Give them a call.

#8 ·
Dropped it off at the local tire shop. They are ordering a new tire in for me, should be here today. Sidewall had a hole about the size of my thumb. Only 8,200 miles on the car too :( ...Oh well....They are going to try and "beat" the wheel back into shape for me to get me home (one way commute is ~35mi, that I would rather not make on a donut spare). I'll probably still replace the wheel when I order the hubcap/wheel cover.

#10 ·
I have been seeing lots of 5-bolt Focus wheels coming up for sale on craigslist lately.
Brand new alloys with tpms sensors for cheap.
Several sets of steelies and caps.

Check the regular classifieds for your area, you might be surprised.
Wheel repair is easier on steel wheels than alloy, but the lower value of steel wheels makes them often just get junked rather than fixed. I have had tire shops fix bent lips on steelies for free several times when getting a new tire.

#11 ·
New tire is on. Wheel "hammered" back into shape. car seems no worse for wear aside from a slight pull to the right when under power. I'm guessing mismatched tire pressures, as I run the car at 40-42psi, and I'm guessing the tire shop put the new one at 30-35psi.

Found a new wheel cover on eBay for $25+shipping. Hopefully it will be here next week sometime.

Probably going to pickup that fullsize spare kit posted above, assuming the budget committee (wife) approves the purchase. The fullsize spare on my Yukon (and her Audi) have spoiled me. The last few times something like this has happened it's not been a super rush to fix it.

#13 ·
The wheel looks fine. I'm guessing they used a block of wood and a hammer to bend it back into shape. I couldn't find any tooling marks on it, and can't find where it was bent. Not sure what the price on a new one would've been. No idea on cost savings as I haven't looked up the price of a wheel/tire combo, and I'm going ahead with the fullsize spare plan anyway (at $150+shipping) When I get the fullsize spare, that previously unbent wheel will go on the front, and the previously bent one will be used as the spare.

#16 ·
Depends on severity of wheel damage. If a soft deform with no cuts or rips in the steel I have carefully rerolled the edge back out to match rest of wheel, thrown it back on car and drove it until car finally wore out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.