Focus Fanatics Forum banner

The hunt to get a Nav MyFord Touch...

46K views 127 replies 25 participants last post by  lordford 
#1 ·
Good morning, board.

When I ordered my car, it was a few months before the model released. As such, it was a bit tough to get exactly what I wanted. I needed a new car, and I waited for about 6 weeks to get the one that was only missing a single feature I wanted: the Navigation system. If I wanted it, I'd have had to wait another 6 months or so, which I could not have done. At the time, dealerships and salesmen were telling customers that we'd be able to upgrade to it later down the line, so it wasn't a huge deal.

But they lied.

Right now, the only way to get a replacement APIM with navigation is to have a VIN # and part serial number (not part number...the serial number of the actual module currently installed). That means, the only way to get the nav system now is to currently *have* a nav system in need of replacement. From what we've already seen, the modules are completely interchangeable: Just unplug one and plug the other in and it does all of the rest. This means I just have to find the nav system module!

fordparts.com sells the one we need for the 2012 Focus Titanium for $1062, but the actual purchase has to be done through a dealership...which hits the same dilemma. Trolling eBay isn't easy because very few people are parting out their new cars...one forum member was lucky enough to grab the module for $500, but that's not likely to happen again anytime soon.

So we need to come up with a plan! Anyone have any contacts or thoughts on how to accomplish this feat? I know there was some interest in doing this exact thing over the course of the past year...I know a few people were very unhappy with how Sync Navigation was built up in their minds and then crushed when they received the cars and realized how utterly useless it was. Here's the info on the APIM we need, and keep in mind the thing that matters is the "Ice Feature Pack 25":

Part #18806 - Audio Chassis
Sync II Sync II With Navigation ; Sgl Tun/Sgl CD W/Sdars/HD LXF, Ice Feature Pack 24, ICE Feature Pack 25; Order From Audio/Multimedia Center Online Ordering System Using The Online 1878 Form, Audio Control Module (ACM)

See less See more
#59 ·
Find a VIN for a similarly configured car with NAV

What if the tech provisions the module using the VIN for a car that is configured identically to yours except that this VIN has the NAV? that should work as they can pull down the flash files for the module from that VIN, and should result in a similar situation to what Mrlandy did by swapping out his APIM with the one procured on EBay. You have to have a cooperative service tech though.

#62 ·
What if the tech provisions the module using the VIN for a car that is configured identically to yours except that this VIN has the NAV? that should work as they can pull down the flash files for the module from that VIN, and should result in a similar situation to what Mrlandy did by swapping out his APIM with the one procured on EBay. You have to have a cooperative service tech though.
Well, that part they're actually right on. When they try to provision it connects to their database, but it sends the APIM information. Actually, that's how it failed. I read the services book about it. Apparently the APIM was actually provisioned correctly, but without the Navigation app (it literally calls it an "App"). They called an engineer to see if he would bypass the lock but he said no because my VIN# does not list Nav.

One of the things listed is the VIN# of the vehicle. You can see the info too -- hit the Power button to turn off the radio and then hold the Skip Forward and Eject buttons at the same time for a few sec. Hit the first button (APIM Diagnostics, I think) and you can see the info in there.

What needs to be done is the APIM has to be installed into a car licensed for Nav, have it provisioned in there, and then switch it back to my car.

#61 ·
Also where is Jaclyn from the IVT team?

I'm surprised Jaclyn from the IVT team hasn't chimed in at all on this. We have been asking for the ability to unlock NAV post sale for more than a year and the idea is posted on the Ford social website also for more than 1 year. A lot of us on this board are techies I.e. engineers, IT guys, comp sci majors and we all know that the excuse "it can only be done at the factory" is BS especially considering its all software and that the physical hardware parts are interchangeable a Ford hallmark by the way. A lot of us opted to bypass NAV presale because our salesmen told us it could be enabled post sale and because when the system debuted it was in fact very buggy and still is with a Garmin offering better performance. Yet as the system improves and bugs are hammered out a lot of us would like to upgrade and enable the Nav that the hardware in our cars definitely supports! I just don't get why ford would be turning away cash when a lot of us are saying take our 795 dollars and upgrade us!

#63 ·
I'm surprised Jaclyn from the IVT team hasn't chimed in at all on this. We have been asking for the ability to unlock NAV post sale for more than a year and the idea is posted on the Ford social website also for more than 1 year. A lot of us on this board are techies I.e. engineers, IT guys, comp sci majors and we all know that the excuse "it can only be done at the factory" is BS especially considering its all software and that the physical hardware parts are interchangeable a Ford hallmark by the way. A lot of us opted to bypass NAV presale because our salesmen told us it could be enabled post sale and because when the system debuted it was in fact very buggy and still is with a Garmin offering better performance. Yet as the system improves and bugs are hammered out a lot of us would like to upgrade and enable the Nav that the hardware in our cars definitely supports! I just don't get why ford would be turning away cash when a lot of us are saying take our 795 dollars and upgrade us!
^^This^^

I even bought the full module ($1024 after tax, since I wasn't turning in my old one) and still nothing from Ford. Looks like if I can't get it working I'll be returning it.

I guess Ford doesn't want my $1024? They don't want to take my $1024 for a simple software installation. Unbelievable.

#65 ·
Do the service techs know the story about how your salesman told you it was on your car when you bought it, or that you could upgrade? They should be willing to make something work for you... shouldn't be too hard to provision it on a Nav enabled vehicle on the lot and then swap it back in. They just need some incentive or coaxing?

I think my car has had 3 new APIMs... I don't even know what it looks like. Whenever MFT locks up or goes all screwy, they just replace that (I don't think they know what else to do, if I'm honest). I don't think they were ever the main problem, but if they were... that begs another question: say you do get it provisioned and working, and a month in, they have to replace it because the only way they'll fix MFT is by replacing the APIM and a fresh install?

Just something for consideration. I wish it wasn't this tough for the non-nav and non reverse-cam folks.

#67 ·
The one saving grace to all this is that the system is still quite buggy from personal experience...takes forever to index a Zune HD, an Apple iPod Classic fares better but on the other hand doesn't display all the cover art, the system still slows down and occasionally requires a fuse pull and master reset. From what I've read these bugs ripple through to the NAV portion as well and a lot of folks on these forums complain that a Garmin is still better than the MFT NAV. Maybe by the time ford fixes all the bugs, they will also decide to allow us to unlock NAV post sale as well. The other upside to using a Garmin is that you don't have to worry about map updates and can use the MFT screen to look at other info while the Garmin handles NAV. Integrated NAV is pretty though and does mean less windshield clutter. I hope Ford is listening to us on these forums!.........Here's an idea..Ford should actually work with Garmin to make MFT especially the NAV portion very NUVI like...Garmin's PND OS is also very stable and reliable....this would be sweet. They don't necessarily have to dump Windows Auto, becuase I'm sure that Garmin has apps that run on Windows Embedded...I remember running Garmin GPS apps on an old Dell Axim PocketPC.

#68 ·
I mean, there are definite benefits to using a standalone GPS unit, but there are obvious benefits of using the built-in nav too. I'd really love to use my 8" screen for the navigation, in addition to the SYNC system. I don't use voice navigation (I turn off the voices), but I like the MFT system (outside of the various bugs).

If I can't get it to work (I'm going to call Ford again today), I'm going to return the module and buy a standalone GPS. I paid $1050 for this module and SD card, so if I buy a standalone for $250 I'm still *pretty* far ahead lol

#69 ·
You can also take a standalone GPS with you when you travel or use a rental car. I hear you though, I like the integrated NAV too outside of its bugs, it is cool and pretty looking. If Ford finally wakes up and offers an unlock option I'm game but it doesn't hurt to have a stand alone GPS as a backup or for other uses.

#70 ·
Well I have a few Android phones and devices, which come with full navigation. It works perfectly, but I hate to have another device obstructing my view or to have to worry about. Another problem is that I've integrated a radar detector into my electrical system (it's on the windshield right under the rearview mirror). It looks professional, as it currently is, but if I want to attach a GPS to the windshield or sitting on the dash somewhere I doubt I can make it look professional. There just isn't another spot anywhere that would look good.

I'm a fan of making things look like they were built with that setup in mind. If I do it I'll have to somehow integrate it into my current system. Right now the radar detector is lined into the auto-dimming rearview mirror power (which is perfect since it runs at 13.4V and cuts down to 10V a few minutes after the car shuts down), but I don't think there's another power lining up there except for the sunroof, which I don't want to tie into.

I guess I could line it along the top of the windshield, but I hope my windshield tint strip wouldn't interfere with the GPS signal (I get somewhat poor GPS signal in my car with my phones/devices because of the ceramic tinting I'm using all around the car). I'll have to do a bit of planning and see what I can come up with...

#75 ·
#81 ·
If you're referring to my comment, of course he isn't "stealing"... I know he's already paid more than the $700 I did for Nav, and doesn't even have it yet. But all the secrecy, coaxing Ford employees, trying to use other cars to program parts... it just seems like so much under-the-radar for something so simple.

#86 ·
Just out of curiosity I looked at the 2013 fusion page on ford.com and the 2.0 ecoboost is advertised at 240 HP @ 5,500 (premium fuel) 231 HP @5,500 (regular fuel) with 270 TQ @ 3,000 and the ST has 252 HP @ 5500 (Prem. Fuel) and 270 TQ @ 2500 (Prem. Fuel)

#90 ·
Well, the module is provisioned and I'll be picking it up, hopefully, tomorrow during the day. When I get it I'm just going to take an hour or so from work and install it so I can let everyone know how well it works/doesn't work. All things considered, it should work perfectly after I install it (assuming Mrlandy was telling the truth!). I'll post back tomorrow and let you all know!

#92 ·
Last time it seemed you had it nailed I gave you a preemptive congratulations and best of luck. Turns out it didn't work so well. Maybe I cursed you so let's take the opposite approach:

"Uncongratulations and Worst of Luck"

There, maybe that will have the opposite effect that the former had last time.

Seriously though, can't wait to hear how it went for you later on today!

#93 ·
Installed it...and no nav. The "Information" quadrant is still there, and selecting it displays the Sync Services stuff. When I go into system information, there's no version listed under "Navigation application". It looks like the app isn't installed at all.

Ford, [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]* you.

#94 ·
I'd say you should take this to Ford themselves. BBB, small claims, whatever.

Clearly it can be done and clearly you are willing to pay for it.

They are just jerking you around at this point

#97 ·
That's what I'm wondering...Mrlandy bought that piece out of a wrecked Focus, but he got everything (basically the screen, Sony module, and the MFT module). Since I already replaced the MFT module, the only other options would be that either the screen or Sony module contain the requisite software.

My guess is the screen is the thing that needs replacing...and in that case there was no need to replace the MFT module at all.

#104 ·
The worst thing about this is that if Ford would have helped me out and worked with me on getting this resolved, this would have been over in a matter of days and I would be singing Ford's praises. Instead, I will now spend any amount of money necessary to prove that it can be done and that they've flat out lied about it all. If I have to spend $3,000 to prove that it's possible and then put together a guide to get it done quickly (and for much less money) -- I'll do it. Then I'm going to talk to the local news organizations, BBB, and every local dealership.

So, once this is all up and running, I hope this gets enough attention to put a spotlight on Ford's horrible customer service and dealership training. Nice job Ford. Tell me something is expensive and probably not worth it and I would have gotten a Garmin. Tell me it's impossible? I'll make you look like the foolish liars you are.

#111 ·
Tell me something is expensive and probably not worth it and I would have gotten a Garmin. Tell me it's impossible? I'll make you look like the foolish liars you are.
Admirable! Glad you are refusing to give up. A lot of us on here are hoping for your success. If and when you get this working you have certainly earned the right to be one smug, smug, smug bastard!

#105 ·
Jaclyn,

Why has it taken so long for you to respond to this? And why is this such a hassle for him to actually get it enabled?

He is purchasing OEM parts. Not aftermarket. Warranty wouldn't be voided at all.

He is clearly willing to pay what he needs to since his dealer lied. If he knew this from the beginning I'd imagine he would've gotten the Nav at time of purchase.

He has spent much more than what we pay. He has the same hardware. It's really the software isn't it?

I don't understand why this can't be enabled and why Ford isn't making it easier. It's not like this is some underground and illegal scheme, he clearly wants to spend money.

Why make it so hard for him?

#106 ·
That's exactly it. One of the only features I said I *required* when I pre-ordered the car was the full navigation system. The dealership saw "Nav" on the VIN and assumed it was the full map nav. I looked at the car before signing for the car, but while I was doing so the salesman said he was going to look for the SDCard to make the nav work. After signing he came back and said "It didn't come with one".

So, in other words, I desperately wanted the full Nav system when I ordered the car...I got screwed by the dealership on it, and now nobody will help rectify that mistake. I spent $30k on a car with a feature I was promised and didn't receive. Since then, not a single person has had anything to say but "Sorry".

#110 ·
Yes he got the APIM. I took it to my guy at the dealer and he provisioned it then mine got replaced. But apparently you need more than just the apim and sd card to get nav working.

hotleadsingerguy, are you sure the sd card you got is a good one? I remember when they updated mine to 3.02 I lost nav until I got the new card in the mail from ford. You need the A3 card with 3.02 the older cards will not work. Why don't you swing by sometime this weekend and I'll plug my known good A3 card in and see if yours works.

#112 ·
I can't say for certain that the SDCard is good, but it was a sealed A3 version. Looking in the system info doesn't even list Nav as being installed. Guessing I just need a different module.

Hotleadsingerguy, is the module you ordered the audio system chassis or the APIM? I think the APIM is what gets loaded with the nav software...
It's the APIM. You can find the entire thing (including APIM) on the Fordparts site by searching for Audio Control Module. It's one of the 3 main parts listed in the diagram. Guess the one I need just isn't this one. Here's a diagram of what I mean:

The module I purchased is the one with the Red arrow. The only other 2 modules in the entire setup that could potentially hold information (I.E. be where things are installed) are the modules with the Green and Blue arrows.

The logical module is the one that I purchased, but the next most logical is the Green arrow. The screen module doesn't seem to really have much space...so it may just be the screen.

I'll keep investigating!

#113 ·
And that makes perfect sense...the part is listed as having "Ice Feature Pack 25" on Fordparts, which is the code name for the Navigation feature of MFT. This was the part I tried ordering in the first place...I think I actually *RECEIVED* the wrong item from the Ford dealership. It's the actual part # that I ordered (I just checked my email).

I think I know what happened. I got the part # of the APIM module from I Bleed Ford Blue (which was required for the order), and I think the guy at the Parts counter input the wrong part # into the order form.

Guess I'll have to hit the dealership tomorrow! At least I now know which part I need.

#121 ·
I've kind of changed my mind, for the time being. For now I'm going to return this part and just buy a Garmin. With the iPhone 5 launching in a few weeks, trying to pay off this car, and wanting to buy a new bike...I'd rather conserve the funds until I'm sure of what I can do.

Don't get me wrong, I still plan on replacing this idiotic non-Nav system with the full Nav edition, but from this point forward I'm going to make sure of what I'm doing before spending the cash. Hopefully Ford will soon take their heads out of whatever places they're currently in and starts offering an upgrade solution.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.