Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2013 Order Guide Released

61K views 315 replies 67 participants last post by  His Dudiness 
#1 · (Edited)
Here are the most notable changes:

No SEL trim, S, SE, Titanium are the 3 trim lines this year
Deleted rear heat ducts from S
Rear drum brakes still standard on S and SE
SYNC, Cruise control, dual illuminated vanity mirrors and 6 speaker audio now standard on SE
Reverse sensing system now available on SE
SE appearance package includes rear disc brakes, standard on Titanium
Ambient lighting now available on SE in appearance package
Sony audio with MyFord Touch w/ DATC now available on SE
SE Black Pack now available (hatchback only)(black wheels (previous SE Sport), black fog lamp bezels, piano black grille, black mirror caps, black spoiler, no mention of black headlamps)
Rear view camera decoupled from Parking Assist, camera standard on Titanium
Remote start standard on Automatic Titanium
No mention of auto dimming mirror, rain sensing wipers, or universal garage door opener for 2013 Focus
Wheel/rim for standard Titanium has been replaced with SEL premium package rim, SE comes with standard previous SEL rim, all other rims the same as 2012
Performance Blue and Ruby Red replace Sonic Blue and Red Candy. No more Yellow Blaze.

See less See more
#144 ·
No, since you can no longer get the dual zone automatic climate control on the 2013 without getting either the SE appearance package with 17" wheels, leather, and MFT where as the 2012 SEL was available with cloth seats standard, dual zone automatic climate control, and 16" wheels which are better on our crap roads around here. It would also cost much less more than likely than a 2013 SE Appearance Package (SE/SEL premium hybrid trim level), etc....

I'm so glad I bought my 2012 Frosted Glass SEL hatch with RS300a and winter package, it was better equipped than the similarly priced 203a dct sport se hatch with winter, but hey the dealers prefer to order the SE since they can make more money on it.

#145 ·
Wow. This is great info. I'm new to this site and there is so much great info to use as reference. I'm currently leasing a 2011 Fusion SEL V6 and with my long daily commutes, I need something that has better mpg but won't be a compromise or a step down from what I currently own.

I've been waiting for Ford to bring over their Euro Focus for years. I test drove a 4dr Titanium and I believe it had the handling package. I've been a fan since; It felt like, even better, than the Golf's and Alfa's I drive while I'm in Italy. Now I am just itching to get out of my lease, I am thinking of a lease pull ahead when they release job 2 for 2013. It will def be a Titanium hatch, handling package undecided since I live in Michigan; unless my dealer can put All Seasons on 18" wheels instead.

#150 ·
Great forum - just joined. Doing a thorough investigation of the 2012 but looks like I'll have to start over with a 2013. I had looked at an SEL....
Anyone know if the side mirror turn signals will be available? Didn't see that listed in the 2013 major product features list.

#159 ·
Here's a comparison for the nearest analogs to what they said they wanted initially (starting with a '12 SEL hatch with winter package only).

2012 Ford Focus SEL Hatch RS300a with DCT and winter package MSRP $22,170, including the $795 destination and delivery charge.

2013 Ford Focus SE Hatch RS201a with DCT and winter package (minus Dual Zone automatic climate control and puddle lamps since the SE can't have dz-eatc without MFT)= MSRP of $24225

Ok so you get leather instead of cloth seats, but they are black leather, since stone is no longer available in anything other than the SE cloth pattern, and 17" wheels instead of 16" wheels, but you get the manual climate control, lose puddle lamps for the mirror and the other detail changes such as the removal of certain colors which were available this year vs. the next model year.

That excludes ordering MFT or the black package on top of the SE as those would just cost even more than today.

A simplified options menu for the dealer to order and sell from, but it ultimately costs the customer more for less by an even greater margin than in 2012 where it was possible already to load an SE to above SEL levels and an SEL above Ti levels if you went full hog on the options list.

#167 ·
"removal of certain colors..."

Colors change most model new modle years, so? The Frosted Glass was not a big seller, won't miss it, too dated. Also the mustardish yellow, but can get similar hue on the ST. The Red Candy is gone, but replaced with Ruby Red, and Performance Blue is new.

What's the big deal? Not as if only black, white, and biege are only colors, as some imports.

#168 ·
"removal of certain colors..."

Colors change most model new model years, so? The Frosted Glass was not a big seller, not was the yellow, but can get similar on the ST. The Red Candy is gone, but replaced with Ruby Red, and Performance Blue is new.

What's the big deal? Not as if only black, white, and biege are only colors, as some imports.
The color would have been one of the deal breakers for me, yes I understand they change colors annually, but even if I went for my second choice of color (Sterling Grey), I still couldn't build the same car in 2013 as I could in 2012. That's even after ignoring the difference in trim levels. The base SEL was better equipped than the SE will be, at least from a driver comfort stand point. I didn't want MFT or leather so in 2012 I could chose to do without them but still get the dual zone climate control, the heated, power, signal, puddle lamps, etc on my car where the equivalent SE now requires MFT to get the dual zone climate control. Sure the stone leather or fabric might not have been as common but it really should have been, especially in a desert climate where black leather or cloth would just be too damned hot, hell in the summer its too hot here to have a charcoal black interior.

I also wasn't fond of them coding a price increase as a price decrease, so excuse me for sharing.[poke]

#170 ·
For a pricing comparison, if I had to replace my '12 SEL with Premium Package with a '13 SE with Appearance Package:

Base: $18,200
Delivery: $795
DCT: $1,095
Appearance: $2,530
Ruby Red: $395
Reverse Sensing System: $240
Total MSRP: $23,255

My SEL Premium stickered for only $23,085 AND has the following additional that the '13 SE replacement wouldn't have:

Dual Zone Auto Climate Control
Rain Sensing Wipers
Chrome Belt Line

That my friends is what's called a BAD DEAL!!!! So glad I have my '12.

Edit: OK, you do get Sirius and rear spoiler with the SE Appearance. But still, not worth an extra $170 and the loss of the dual zone climate control to me.

#171 ·
For a pricing comparison, if I had to replace my '12 SEL with Premium Package with a '13 SE with Appearance Package:

Base: $18,200
Delivery: $795
DCT: $1,095
Appearance: $2,530
Ruby Red: $395
Reverse Sensing System: $240
Total MSRP: $23,255

My SEL Premium stickered for only $23,085 AND has the following additional that the '13 SE replacement wouldn't have:

Dual Zone Auto Climate Control
Rain Sensing Wipers
Chrome Belt Line

That my friends is what's called a BAD DEAL!!!! So glad I have my '12.
To think how much cheaper it'd be without the DCT ;)

#179 ·
I have an SEL yes, but mine is an base SEL hatch with winter package as the only option.

The roads are bad here, and I didn't care for the specific 17" wheels from the premium package but those carried over to the SE Appearance package.
I see what you mean now.

The former SEL Premium 17" wheels go to the Titanium. The SE Appearance gets the 5-spoke wheels.

By the way, how fast do you type?

#181 ·
I see what you mean now.

The former SEL Premium 17" wheels go to the Titanium. The SE Appearance gets the 5-spoke wheels.

By the way, how fast do you type?
As quickly as I can type. And I wasn't being 100% specific about the specific wheels featured in the package, but yes the premium package wheels literally end up as the new Titanium base wheels, but I was referring more to the size of the wheels + tires rather than the specific wheel design.

If I wanted the premium package the price difference might be slightly less, but the base SEL hatch with winter package was a much better deal for my particular situation than a loaded 2012 SE Sport DCT hatch, but it also was available in my preferred color choice, if I went with an SE it would likely have been either Sterling Grey Metallic, or Ingot Silver Metallic.

The car might have stickered for over 22k, but with the $2000 rebate $329 sync discount and the a/z plan price was around 18.4k before tax. I don't think the 2013 would be available as well equipped for as little money just yet either.

#200 ·
Sucks if you consider all of us 2012 owners who haven't had any problems. ;)

I do not think you are missing anything else. You are correct that Ford is trying to push the Focus upmarket. However, many people still think of Ford as a budget brand so I would say good luck with that.

One of the few bright things about the 2013's option list is that the SFE package is $95 (because you lose alloys for steels). Though if you get that package, you are limited on other options. Also a stripped down SYNC can be installed in the "S" for about $295 (or so).
I'm not going to be in the market for a 2013 so I don't have much stake in the debate, but I generally agree with others that the changes for '13 are largely not good ideas on Ford's part. Granted, I'm more of a function-over-style kind of person, and I bought a 5-speed SE sedan with the cruise package, so this is a pretty stripped down car as they go.

However, the fact that you can buy a Ford compact costing well over $25,000 is amazing to me, honestly. These cars were -already- priced upscale for 2012. Sorry but if it weren't for the $2,500 in rebates I picked up in March I'd be driving a 2012 Elantra right now.

I hate the interior of that stupid Dodge Dart and I think Chryslers are generally pretty crappy cars, but the way they're doing more a la carte options is beating Ford by a mile. I had to get map lights and a perimeter alarm just to get cruise; that's freakin' stupid. 3 features that are completely unrelated get packed together to justify a $400 price tag for cruise control plus a couple extremely minor features that cost Ford a few dollars in parts and wiring to add.

And now for 2013 if I want rear discs on a lower trim model--of all the simple desires--I'm looking at $2,500 appearance package? WTF?!

I agree with you to a point - the problem is, the 2013 Focus seems to be more expensive than the outgoing 2012 with not much (if any) more content.

But, maybe Ford has the sales to back this up. I doubt that make these kinds of decisions without data of some sort.
I don't know, man. I've worked at big companies long enough to see that some pretty serious decisions get made without the data and information to back it up.

I can promise you that Mulally wasn't involved in the decision how to package or price leather seating or map lights, for example.

Gotta say I've seen a lot more 2012s in the last few months then I did all of last year, a significant amount in fact, so something is going right.
Same here. Saw loads more Focuses and Fiestas in the past couple of months.

#189 ·
Well, I guess the thinking is probably that more and more Americans are starting to see compacts as a viable alternative to larger cars (and even SUV's) and that, as in Europe, Ford is betting that consumers will pay more for a car in this segment with premium features. So with changing attitudes, and a subcompact like the Fiesta occupying the "econobox" role (albeit a pretty nice one with lots of premium features as well) Ford is free to charge a little more for the Focus.

I don't think it's a bad strategy per se, but I think if they want to creep the Focus upmarket they need to start offering some of the Euro options here as well. As it stands now, the Titanium doesn't have enough to differentiate itself from the volume model anymore. It should have an HID option, LED tails, and some of the other hi-tech options Euro buyers are offered. At least start exposing Americans to the idea and get them used to the notion of a premium Ford compact (actually, I think they've been doing that already with the 2012 Focus, but they should increase the quality with the price for 2013).

#190 ·
The focus can command higher prices simply because it's a higher class car compared to the competition.

They have every right to charge more, American cheapness be damned.

#196 ·
And the $240 increase can be bargained down, with the dealer to get a lower price. Who pays full sticker?
Yeah but you can bargain down the '12 as well, even more most likely. So you're still going to spend over $200 more, for actually less content IMO.

I'd guess they've realized transaction prices are higher and have thrown around packages and trims to better match their sales

Gotta say I've seen a lot more 2012s in the last few months then I did all of last year, a significant amount in fact, so something is going right.
You're forgetting the huge $2,000 rebate for 3 months it took to put the Focus on top in sales. I posted elsewhere that once they discontinued that rebate sales dropped by a third to 3rd or 4th place. That's why there are so many on the road now. And that's why I bought a brand new one instead of a lightly used one.

#194 ·
[screwy]Wow, so for the SE customer you cannot have as a separate option package
-Sony & MFT package
or
-SE Black Pack
Either one requires the SE Appearance Package

Customer to salesperson - I would like to purchase the SE hatch with Black Pac, the price should be 19,200 + 795 =$19,995 plus etc right?
Salesperson to customer - No that is not correct, the price will be $22,635 plus etc.
Customer please explain why this difference
Salesperson, well for you to get the Black Pak you must also purchase the Appearance Package which costs $2,610.00, but we will give you a discount of -$110.00 to soften the blow.
Customer leaves dealership , salesperson happy with the ease of ordering 2013 Focus, pissed he lost another client.
Same scenario for the guy wanting an SE with the MFT. The Sony & MFT package in itself is not a bad price $1,495.00 , until you are forced to add the extra $2,610.00 to get it.

Nicely done Ford N.A.[eek]

So your only choice if you want cloth seats is a base SE. Albeit with extra stuff.
But if you want rear disc brakes for example on your SE, you might as well just buy the Titanium, because you are forced to take most of what is in a base Titanium anyway, just to get rear disc brakes.

Shame they dumped the Sport Package, this was the golden package for the sporty driver oriented Focus.
But alas, Ford N.A does not want or at least it looks like they do not want to market the Focus as their sporty, drivers car. Now you get an appearance package, which is fine and dandy, but the words Sport (package) is a no brainer for what the Focus exudes.

I suppose in the minds of some inside Ford, they figured we are launching the ST, so who needs any relevance to the perception of sporty to the non-ST Focus variants. [scratch]

Your poor bastards, Ford N.A finally brings you the real Focus and then [nutkick] you in the wallet just after one year.

#201 ·
The rebates are still all over the place. When I first started seriously considering a Focus in late March or early April, Ford was offering $1500 Customer Cash, which of course piqued my interest. Later in April, it had dropped down to $750 - at this point I was kind of on the fence. Then May 1st, it was back up to $1000, and I figured I had better make a move soon if I was going to do this. The day I placed my order, May 7th, the incentive went back up to $1500, which is where I'm currently "locked in" (along with $500 Military Cash). I'm hoping that as we get closer to my delivery date in June, maybe the incentives will creep up a little more, like another $500 or so. In any case, I'm happy with the price I'm paying as is - I think it's fair and a good deal. But I can tell you that I probably would not have ordered without good incentives in place.

All that said, we have no idea, really, what Ford plans to offer for 2013. Even if pricing is finalized, Ford may offer aggressive incentives right out of the gate. Even if they don't offer them right away, I think they will probably have to start thinking about it if they want to stay competitive.

#204 ·
I am surprised that Ford coupled leather seats and disc brakes on the SE appearance package. It is really surprising that the seats will include red leather panels which is a bold choice which some buyers won't like.
The only way to get rear disks and cloth seats on a 2013 SE is to get the SFE package but then you're pushed into the steel wheels and hubcaps, and are limited on other available option choices, that's also only available on the SE sedan not the hatch.

#211 ·
Hi all,

New here but a long time visitor. I'm waiting for my ideal Focus to become a reality, but for some reason Ford still won't let me get Race Red on a Titanium! Any ideas as to why?

Also, sad to see some features like the universal garage door opener, dimming mirror, and rain sensing wipers disappear. I was already bummed we don't get an HID option, but to see these features start to disappear as well is disappointing.

#217 ·
It would be a cakewalk to add the garage door opener and auto-dimming mirror to a car that doesn't have them. Both parts are fully self-contained and could easily be swapped for their respective non-functional parts. The garage door opener is built in to the visor and would be plug-and-play, as would the mirror (though you may need to wire it up to 12V)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.