Focus Fanatics Forum banner

SVT towed, p1233 code

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  420svt 
#1 ·
I had my SVT towed on 70 miles today because it died on me at a stop when I was taking off. Went to start it back, it cranked but didn't fire, but after some other tries I could get it to start but it would die a couple seconds after, and sputtering like hell. It had also died one time after starting in the morning at the beginning of the week and it had thrown a code (check engine). Went away after the next start so the code was temporary. The car was having ramdom bad starts in the last few months, but once it was warm I didn't get bogging, but I was always feeling that my 1st gear was a lot more sluggish than before.

A mechanic near the place that I was stalled at today brought his scanner and the code is :
P1233 Fuel Pump Driver Module off-line
I'm reading it with my Predator also now that I'm back home

I have a new fuel pump in hand to install this week end in case it has failed...
I also want to get the SVT pump part number, which is, correct me if I'm wrong, the same as the new pump model on other Foci (starting from 2002?).
So now the car is sitting in the garage and I don't want to get through the trouble of replacing the pump if that's not the problem.

See less See more
#3 ·
My new fuel pump number is 1M5U-9H307-CA, is that the good part number?

#4 ·
The car is running again, after throughout electrical testing including fuse, relay, fuel pump shut off switch, the trouble was a bad fuel pump relay. Switched the relay with the high beams good relay and it starts right up! So if anyone is getting a p1233 code sometime, check that relay! That's probably why my car was randomly having bad starts and idle sometimes until it got warmer, maybe the relay wasn't clicking immediately with the ignition on.

I'd still like to know if it's possible that my SVT, being #408 in 2002, would have the old fuel pump model. Cause according to Ford, model changed in May 2002 and my car was produced before that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.