Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Looking for rally knowledge input

6K views 30 replies 6 participants last post by  Lovemyhondaeater 
#1 ·
I am slowly turning my car into more of a rallycross car than a autocross car now. So im wondering what you guys think of my suspension ideas. I think im going to get some kyb agx's so i can adjust them to soft and stiff if i need and now i'm wondering what springs to run. I have tein s-tech what im wondering if they will be a little to stiff. anybody running a cheap suspension out there for rally let me know.

#2 ·
AGX's have been used for Stage Rally so they should be OK for Rallycross as well. They are considered a poor mans solution. Just don't expect them to last as a street driver shock. I would not use a shorter spring as its counterintuitive. SVT springs would probably be better than stock or lowering springs since they really aren't that much lower and are a little firmer. Rally cars do not use overly stiff springs. A dedicated rally spring is specially made. They are made of larger diameter wire and have fewer coils to maximize available travel.

#3 ·
Yea I'm totally wanting to go with the rallycross look as well and I had the same question. Im actually looking into having a guy at my work make me a light bar to go on my bumper for two big KC type lights. Anyone know where I can find one of those huge spoilers? I picked up some APEX 2'' drop coils. Should I not even waste my time with those?

#4 ·
as for agx as a cheaper alternative i know they are, that is what we currently use on our stage rally america (1992 sentra se-r) car i just wanted to make sure thats the right choice(im the co-driver in that car.)

for the wing, im guessing you mean the wrc one you can get them from wings west. google it you'll find it.

#6 ·
for rally cross, you aren't gonna need a skid plate, a stage rally car yes, for suspension, and the money, you have 2 options. the first, and not very good, you have a ksport damper/spring. about 900, they provide 4 way dampening, and swappable springs for different rates. there are several opinions, but most go w/ about a 250 front and 225 or 250 rear ish, it depends on your setup and what you like. the next options is hotbits. they run about 1700, but they are some of the best out there. they are 2 way dampered. and they run an external resevoir. plus rebuilds are cheap. you can go w/ DMS, or ohlins, but u'll put more into your suspension than ur car is worth. your brakes need to updated next. you have better control w/ the svt brakes in the rear. the handbrake is easier to work w/. then TIRES TIRES TIRES. and lose the sways. you'll have a highly competitive setup. after that, its all about learning your car. (ie, turning the car w/ the brakes, not the steering wheel!)

#7 ·
^ good to know thanks

this is going to be an over time process. im starting with the things that will make this work, and then making things work well. I have tires and wheels and multiple suspension potentials. it just always good to get feed back.

#8 ·
Well I deffinitly want to give it the rally car look. All you see in my area is a bunch of tuners. I want a different look than the norm. But I also want it to perform off road and on. I live in Arizona there's plenty of desert to play in. Thanks for the advice

#10 ·
#12 ·
yes, i forgot to mention that, make urself some REALLY good flaps, larger and wider than regular universal ones. i put massive ones on my car. and the paint is perfect. (PLUS IT LOOKS SICK! and slap some rally america decals on it!)

#15 ·
Hey, I did rallycross for about 5 years and now I do stage rally. By far the biggest bang for your buck mod is proper tyres. Most rallycross organizers allow snow tyres in the modified 2wd class. I like Bridestone Blizzaks. Just do a tirerack.com search for snow tyres in your size. Next I would remove the front sway bar end links and add a SVT rear sway or larger diameter rear sway bar. This will cut down on understeer on turn-in and allow you to rotate the car easier on the tight rallycross courses. Disconnecting the front sway bar also allows for full droop travel on your inside front tyre during cornering so you can get on the power a little sooner. As for springs the SVT springs would be a good idea or stock ones would be fine. You want as much travel as possible to keep proper contact patches. If you're getting adjustable dampers set them for rather soft compression damping and medium front recoil damping and somewhat stiff rear recoil damping. If you adjust your dampers this way it will also help to rotate the car and you won't need such a drastic sway bar set up. I would recommend a skid plate if you have the facilities to make one. But if there aren't many rocks where you're racing you can get away without one. And if you have the pockets for it, an LSD will shave big chunks off your lap times.

#16 ·
Thanks for the advice. where would i find mud flaps? i was gonna get my stock rims painted just till i get the svt rims. I looked on wings west for a big spoiler but the don't sell it by itself. I don't want a whole body kit. I want to design my own light bar and Im not too worried about a skid plate just yet
Posted via FF Mobile

#19 ·
if you wanted to pay 100 bucks, or you can get truck mud flaps and cut them urself like i did. cost me 20 bucks plus the cost of a rivit gun if you don't have one (i already did. and i have bigger, and sweeter flaps than most!

#22 ·
While 3/16 is certainly durable but they're more prone to breaking off (or bend what they're attached to) from an offroad excursion because they're not very flexible. I and many others find 1/8" about as thick as you need. In fact the big boys use even thinner one's but they also have the budgets to replace them frequently (like every rally or even during a rally).

#23 ·
real rally mudflaps are much thicker. mine are EXTREMELY flexible. i'll get pics tomorrow. but they aren't plastic. i'm not sure the material. but its a semi mud flap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.