Brand new Ford with tire bulge - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-09-2013, 06:56 AM   #1
Hueman84
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 113237
What I Drive: 2013 white Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Hueman84 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Brand new Ford with tire bulge

My wife recently purchased her brand new Focus within the past month. She is now noticing a bulge in the side of the tire. I have read that this could either be due to a manufacturer defect or from hitting something like a pothole. She swears she has not hit any potholes or anything like that. We called the dealer and they said she is going to need to pay for a new tire if it needs to be replaced. I know the tire warranty says it covers against defects, but how could we prove its a defect and not just from impact (which she says she has not hit anything at all)?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 06:58 AM   #2
05focusST91
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83640
What I Drive: 2008 chevy cobalt SS/TC.

FF Reputation: 6 05focusST91 Good Standing Member
Unless she got tire care which is a tire/wheel warranty, its a wear item with sidewall damage so its not covered.
Still here!
Old 04-09-2013, 07:28 AM   #3
Hueman84
Focus Rookie

She got some kind of warranty guide for "Ford and Lincoln New Vehicle Limited Warranty" that says it covers against manufacturer defects for tires up to 12,000 miles. Not sure what this means but it came with her owners manual. She said she does not remember getting a separate warranty for the car but I do know the car had a couple of warranties on it when she purchased it.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:37 AM   #4
05focusST91
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83640
What I Drive: 2008 chevy cobalt SS/TC.

FF Reputation: 6 05focusST91 Good Standing Member
I mean its possible but highly unlikely, theres no damage marks at all on the tire or wheel?
Still here!
Old 04-09-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
Hueman84
Focus Rookie

From what I could see there was no damage or marking on the tire at all.

She took it to them and they did end of charging her $183 for replacing the tire. So not sure what they would have seen or how it was handled since I am at work. I will check with her when I get home and provide an update for any future readers who may have this issue.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 57 sailor Excellent Standing Member
A separate "warranty" (really an insurance policy) that covers "road hazards" is the only thing that would cover this in most cases. Same type of thing they offer to sell you whenever you purchase new tires. It's an extra cost item like "paint protection", "interior protection" packages or extended warranties that are often sold to new car customers. NOT a manufacturer warranty that comes with the car.

Things we can't see from here, size-shape-type of "bulge".

Most common type of damage leading to a bulge is a "pinch" of the sidewall between the rim and the road, usually from a sharp bump in the road, damage often can be seen from the inside of the tire after removal but NOT from the outside in many cases.

A "bubble" is less common, and sometimes IS warrantied if no evidence of damage can be found.

Luck!
Old 04-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 57 sailor Excellent Standing Member
BTW - this is becoming more common with more cars having low profile tires from the manufacturer.

Extreme example was a long term test on a BMW I read, 4 new wheels/tires in the course of a year! Sheesh!

All too easy to happen from "thumps" that wouldn't have caused damage in years gone by.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #8
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 47 felixthecat Great Standing Member
You'll most likey see damage on the inside of the tire. It should be covered by the tire manufacter. You'd think the dealer would help you out w/ something like that. My thoughts are= Brand new vechicle & a brand new customer or a customer for many yrs. Wheres the customer service?
Interduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 04-09-2013, 09:58 PM   #9
Ghanes03
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 113206
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus TI

FF Reputation: 1 Ghanes03 Good Standing Member
This is an issue that is not usually covered under a tire manufacturer warranty. The absolute only way this can or ever will be a workmanship or materials issue with the tire is if there was an open body ply splice or a distorted body ply cord, thats the only way you will see a bulge in a tire that was due to workmanship issues. In this case it will show up as soon as you put air in the tire. O.E. tires are held to a much higher standard in allowances than aftermarket tires, most tires that come on a vehicle from the manufacturer will also not carry a tread mileage warranty, nor a road hazard warranty as the tires are built to the manufacturers specs primarily for fuel mileage and are low rolling resistance tires. A bulge comes from some sort of an impact to a tire, running more air pressure can help fight the problem but nothing will protect your from a road hazard. There are body ply cords that run through the tire, if they are impacted with a force hard enough to break the cords, the tire then has no structure in that section therefore with air in the tire this will now create a bulge in the tire. Circle that bulge, dismount the tire and you will see a break, or abrasion on the innerliner of the tire where that bulge is. If you have driven on the tire for any amount of time this is not a warrantable condition because it is not caused by workmanship or materials. If you continue to drive on a tire with a bulge eventually the tire will blow out causing potential damage and a dangerous situation. Any questions feel free to ask I am more than willing to help if I can.

Bookmarks & Social Networks