Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Ask a Ford salesman anything (Incentives, Inventory, etc)

766K views 2K replies 389 participants last post by  roswelltop 
#1 · (Edited)
Let me start off by saying this is a great forum.

Secondly I am not here to solicit any business, I'm here for you guys and ladies to help out with any questions releated to the Focus.

I've done this on F-150 forums and it's very helpful for them.

Here's what I can help out on. Please read all of this before you ask a question so we aren't asking the same question 40 times!

1. Need to find a specific new vehicle and your local dealer not helping? Just give me your zip code and what you're looking for and I'll try and find one close and let you know how the invoice pricing breaksdown.

2. Incentive information. All I need is your zip code and last name and I can check if you qualify for any private offers such as brochure $750 offers or anything else. Also if you're college grad. and have other offers I'll let you know what you can combine and what you can't.

3. I cannot tell you why Ford is not giving specific options that you want or when such and such option will be available unless I see it on Ford's dealer site.

4. I unfortunately do not have a crystal ball to tell you what incentives will change to.

5. Also if you ordered a vehicle through your dealership I cannot tell you when it will be there and track it. Only your dealership or the shipping dept can do that.

Lastly I am in internet sales so I generally know what dealerships are capable of selling vehicles for, so if you are wondering if there is money being left on the table let me know.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi,

Thanks for fielding questions!

Can I combine $750 private cash + $500 student + $500 financing rebates?

And must I take delivery of the car by the date on the private cash coupon? My dealer says I can get all of the rebates as long as I take delivery by the date on the coupon. Another opinion would be great.

Thanks!

#3 ·
I am working with a dealer through the Costco auto program for a 2012 Focus SEL. They will give me the car for invoice, but they are also adding a "Marketing assesment and Fuel charge for a total for 346.44".

Does that sound fair / reasonable? The car is en route to another dealer, but they are doing a dealer trade I believe to acquire it. Is part of the fee due to that?

Other than the invoice price, the $346.44 fee, and sales tax, should I expect them to add any other costs on? If so, is that considered reasonable?

#4 ·
Okay I'm assuming you received the private mail offer as that is currently the only incentive showing on the Vincent for 2012 Focus?

If that is the case:
Based on my zip code here you cannot combine offers, it's either
A. $500 FMC plus rate & Private mail offer (ranging between $200 & $750).
B. $500 FMC plus rate & College student purchase program.

You don't have to take delivery but you must contract and have it submitted through Ford's system by expiration date. Therefore if your Focus is 10 days out and it's May 2nd then I would contract and then just take delivery when it shows up.

#5 ·
Not sure if this is a question you can field, but how come the F150 isn't offered in a single cab, short box, 2wd, with the eco-boost motor?

#6 ·
MoggSquad-
If you can get a 2012 Focus for around invoice without additional fees you're doing okay. The whole marketing assesment and fuel is charged from Ford, not from your dealer you are buying from. This is a non-negotiable item and advertising varies by region. This helps pay for all the Swap your ride ads on TV and so forth. A SEL sedan will have about $650 worth of holdback in it so if you must, see if they'll back out the $346 out of the price.

However, if their inventory is low and they are not expecting much in, you might be stepping over a dollar to pickup a penny. Especially if they aren't charging shipping to get it from the other dealer. We typically pay on average $900 to do a trade if it's out of state.

#7 ·
kylesvt720-
That configuration is just something Ford probably doesn't want to do. Only the 5.0 or 3.7 is available, it probably helps keep costs down but to be honest I don't know why they don't offer it in that configuration.

#8 ·
Alright, why is it you're willing to, essentially, take money from someone else's pocket?

I can't say for sure, but I assume there are some dealerships that work on commission. If that is true your kindness of giving bottom line pricing may reduce the pay the salesman/dealership takes in. Maybe that dealership needs to make 10% profit to keep the doors open and now has to raise shop rates to close the gap. I mean the point of having a dealership as a business is to make a profit.
Not saying I don't like your approach. Just saying you might be making enemies at the same time while gaining no business of your own.

#9 ·
iminhell-
Most new car pay plans hover around 18% up to 30%. New car pack will vary from $0 up to $800. That means invoice is $16,494 on a base S and if the dealership packs it $500 it doesn't matter if you sell it for MSRP or not, you're only getting paid a flat for it.

I can sell you a full equipped Titanium and at my dealership the most I'll make is $400 in my pocket. In the internet day and age I start at invoice as a price, if other dealers want to hold to MSRP power to them, but they won't touch the volume that we will and in the end I'll have the happier customers because they are getting the product they want at dealer cost plus fees.

Plus it's important that people here realize that not all sales associates are there to rip your head off, I work my ass of and sometimes only make $100 on a sale.

#10 ·
^^I remember the $100 dollars for a full day of work and going back and forth with the customer. I used to sell for mazda. Didnt last long. You work to hard and dont make much unless you have a great dealer and a great customer base. I was starting my customer base but decided to go back to school instead of spend 12 hours a day working my tail off for little money.

#12 ·
Is $399 reasonable for a documentation fee. This is a dealer in Las Vegas.

Background...

-I live in Utah, Costco Auto Program hooked me up with them.
-They will give me car at invoice + $364 marketing fee by Ford + $399 documentation fee by dealer minus any incentives
-Car is 2012 Ford Focus SEL that is going to be delivered from their sister dealership for no cost.
-This is without haggling so far. Should I haggle on the fee or hold that for my trade in? Should I be happy with this deal considering the Focus are still scarce at dealerships?

#15 ·
At this point Mogg I would ask to see the actual invoice, it seems they are trying to double charge you for stuff.

If you were here the price would be invoice plus $499 D & H, marketing is already on the invoice so no need to double charge. They should be more than happy to show you the invoice, if not let me know what you're trying to find and I'll tell you where to go.

MissouriLeo-
There is active military just need a military ID for proof. I'd have to see if you can combine offers however.

ST-
Still planning on late this year from last I heard.

#16 ·
Over the past couple months, I've made multiple requests for a brochure through the mail in order to receive the $750 cash from Ford, but I haven't received one. Therefore, I can't read the fine print. Can this be combined with the $500 retail order/technology rebate for those of us that ordered our cars?

#17 ·
From the looks of incentives you can combine usually just 2.

EX:
FMC $500 rebate plus $500 college grad

OR
FMC $500 rebate plus $750 private offer

I haven't seen any tech rebates at our store so I couldn't put any input on that but I would say that you're only going to get that plus FMC or college.

#18 ·
I have to say my dealer is pretty good. We retired to FLA. over three years ago. There are two different Ford dealers in my area. The one is a real pain to deal with. The one I ordered from has treated me real good the past three years. They do oil and filter changes on all my cars for $15.00 and also preform a check on just about everything on the car while it's in there.

I priced my new Focus at both dealers just to com-pair. The first dealer gave me the run around just like I thought they would and wanted $600. over invoice and $1,000 down. They wouldn't even tell me what the invoice was until I placed the order. I spent 1 1/2 hours there.

Now, the dealer I have been using over this time said, " Let me look up the invoice price". He came back with it in hand. He already had that, taxes, transfer, everything worked out. Even my trade in. He said" this is the price, invoice and nothing else". I ask what do you require down? His reply was, NOTHING. He said if I didn't like it when it came in, not to worry, they would sell it to someone else.
I spent 45 mins there.
This is the Best Ford dealer I have ever worked with. I'm 62 and have bought a lot of new Ford cars and trucks over the years and for me to say something like that, well it means something.

#19 ·
inccrea,

Thank you for your time an efforts to answer everyone's questions! I just put in my order for a 2012 Focus SE, which is my first new car purchase. I'm curious if I got taken for a ride or not. My invoice price came to $20478.36. After my X-plan, rebates, and negotiations, my final price (before tax and title) is $19421.45. Good or could I have done better? Thank you!

Also curious if the "invoice" number is the ACTUAL "cost" for the vehicle. If not, how much below "invoice" does a dealer pay for a new vehicle? Thanks again!

#20 ·
They have to charge you X-Plan, no more no less otherwise they lose their ability to do them. Also under X-Plan rules they must give you a copy of the invoice. Most they can charge is $75 for dealer handling so remember that part as well.

Finally X-Plan is usually slightly above invoice, so here it's a good deal because you avoid paying D & H so it's really $425 below invoice. The markup on a Focus isn't significant, so if you didn't have X-Plan you probably could negotiate to below X-plan but it could be a hassle.

As far as "true invoice" goes. I always laugh when customers think I makeup an invoice, like I would go through that much work to develop a invoice for a vehicle. But that is besides the point, the "true" cost of the vehicle is invoice less holdback which is listed on the invoice. I pulled invoice on a SE automatic 203A and holdback is listed at $587. Your dealership still makes about $640 total on your deal. The catch is your salesman that does all the work only gets paid off of price over invoice, so the dealership will take most of the money and give him $100-$200.

#27 ·
74055: Owasso, OK

$500 Ford Credit Retail Bonus Cash*
Must combine with FMC rates of
2.9% at 36 months
3.9% at 48 months
4.9% at 60 months
6.9% at 72 months
Tier 0-2 Qualify

Multiple private offers available such as RCL, Quarterly indirect offer, etc.

#24 ·
imccrea,
I'm trying to purchase a 2012 focus hatch SE automatic with 203a. the msrp is 21,080. I went to a dealership to talk about invoice pricing but they wouldn't let me see the invoice they just kept saying invoice is 19,957 but edmunds and kbb gave me an invoice of 19,611. could you give me a breakdown of the real invoice for this vehicle and what fees, if any, to expect on the OTD price besides TTL

#28 ·
You my friend are in luck because there is a 203A here in Denver with this exact MSRP. Invoice on the vehicle is $19,957.44. Now on the invoice if you subtract FDAF and fuel assessment then you are left with $19,611. Edmunds.com will never have these 2 charges on their "invoice" because it varies by region.

If you are part of truecar.com or any ZAG affiliate your pricing should reflect about $250 below invoice. Then you have dealer fees where applicable ($199-$649). Title fee of $27.20 to process titlework for your county and tax.

If you're at $20,200 plus tax only I think that would be okay. Any other charges such as windshield sealant, theft protection are to be passed upon.

#25 ·
Hello Imccrea, thank you for your help on this forum.

Is the FMC incentive is that the rebate if you finance through Ford Credit? FMC $500 rebate plus $500 college grad if it is I am glad that these two are stackable. Also what is the Parking Technology discount involve? Is it stackable with these other two rebates?

Also, do you know how long delivery of Focus' are generally taking? From what I gathered on this forum, about a month ago they were having some kind of trouble in production with MyFord and people were waiting 6-8 weeks for delivery, is this generally still the same time frame for delivery?

Also, I "built" my Focus 2012 online and it came out to $28,630. Do you think it's possibly to get any salesman to drop it down to $26,000? Or is that asking for to much?

#31 ·
Don't want to take anything away from Ford and I was going to finance with them until I talked to my State Farm agent. I won't get the $500 rebate but if you are insured with them they offer new car loans at these rates.

48 month at 3.74%
60 month at 3.99%

Just something to think about.

#40 ·
I've been looking at cars for 2 months, and thought I made a decision but now that I have looked at the '12 Focus I might change my mind. Im looking at a loaded Titanium in black with everything but nav and the titanium handling package. What is a realistic discount on one of those? I am a Sams Club member. What's this about a brochure discount?

And as a side note, does anyone know the ground clearance of the 5 door? Can't find it anywhere...

#42 ·
So if you dont want NAV or the titanium handling package, why get a Titanium? I have a 2012 SEL, black, leather, MyFord Touch (No on screen NAV, but I can get turn by turn directions through Sync services), Sirius, etc. What else are you getting on the Titanium that you dont get on the SEL?

#41 ·
So maybe you can give a better answer to this.

Why cant on screen NAV be added to a 2012 Focus SEL with MyFord Touch already installed? From what I have been able to find by reading, if you have MyFord Touch, on screen NAV is already built in, but it is disabled unless you ordered the car with it (or if it came with it off the lot). Is there some technical reason I'm missing for why this cant be activated after the fact? I know the car has GPS already since I can get turn by turn directions through Sync Services. Seems like there would have to be a way to activate the on screen nav after the fact if customers were willing to pay for it. This is just more of a tech question then anything else. I have a 2012 Focus SEL with MyFord Touch and no on screen NAV (I use nav on my iPhone), so it got me wondering. :)

#45 ·
OK, here's my situation..... Car I ordered below is in. The following are the numbers we used to write up the order. 2 small dealer options aren't shown on the sticker. No money was deposited. Figures used were based on salesman's stated dealer invoice price, no rebates or down payment...YET.

Focus (C346N) VIN Number: 1FAHP3F25CL134651

http://services.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=1FAHP3F25CL134651

Order date: 3-16-11
Build date: 4-5-11
Delivery: 4-27-11

Sale price............................................. 20,709.00

Suppes Ford discount(invoice)................ 883.56

Base sale price...................................... 19825.44

State tx. 6%........................................ 1189.53
Docum. fee.......................................... 125.00
Tire tx ................................................. 5.00
Notary fee............................................. 20.00
Online regist. fee ................................... 15.45
Title, transfer, regist., & encum. fee ......... 33.50

Total cash or financed balance ................ 21,213.92

What is your opinion on this deal??

As an aside, I am eligible for the X-plan, have the $750 coupon, $500 financing and have $2K for a deposit.

Any advice as to how to get the price down a little more?? Or is this about it??

Thanks for your time!!

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.