Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Have you had problems with the MAF housing?

• No problems, whatsoever

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • I was very careful, but still broke my MAF housing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wasn't very careful and broke my MAF housing

Votes: 2 14.3%

POLL: K&N Intake

8K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  BBennett2388 
#1 ·
Of those of you who have the K&N CAI for the 2012 Focus, how many have had problems with the MAF housing and how many have not?

Alan

#3 ·
You got it. The K&N is my favorite design. It's hard to tell on these forums how prevalent an issue is. I really want the K&N and I'm trying to decide whether to buy one now or wait for a response from K&N on a possible design change.

Alan

#4 ·
Any design change is going g to take awhile. I've put about 5000 miles on my intake now since I overtightened the filter and it's been fine. My advice is go for it. I think you'll get the same advice from others with the intake too.

#5 ·
I was reluctant to put mine in once I bought it, but did anyway. No issues or problems for me save the filter fell off, but I fixed that.

My only problem with it was the drop in mileage I saw from using it (from the drop in/flap cut/snork removal), and that difference was not worth it to me.

Sound was nice, throttle response improved over the improved response from the mods. But dropping from 36 mpg to 33 with highway driving on my daily commute was a deal-breaker for me. So when I saw all the dyno info that dyno85 was generating, I saw it as a perfect chance to get real life/real time data on how this intake did compared to stock and to mods, so I sent him the intake for testing. Dyno85's results speak for themselves.

So you have some choices - do the mods and get a heckuva good response for less money, or drop the dollars, get a really nice intake that sounds great, performs well in the upper ranges and looks cool under your hood.

I like K&N, had a typhoon in my 2007 Focus and mileage went up in that one (from 30 to 33). My expectations may have been too high based on that previous experience. I will say that if I had maintained the mileage rate I was at with this new K&N, that intake would still be in my car and never would have gotten tested!

Now it looks like the newmission mod will give me what I am looking for.

#8 ·
I would have taken that! After two weeks with the intake I saw no changes from the lower mileage. Within 5 days of removing the intake and putting back the stock box with drop in (and the flap/snorkel - which was there with the intake), I was back up to 36.2 mileage (ford computer).

#11 ·
Have you guys verified the reported MPG vs actual measured MPG? I know I'm only 3 fill ups into the car (less than 1k miles currently), but the computer has reported everything from 28.9 to 29.5, with measured ranging from 28.5 to 28.7. I know in tracking previous vehicles (Current A4, and old Yukon) in consitency between reported and measured I found that there is a very small window where the reported is accurate. The A4 is around 22mpg, and gets further off the further away you get from that number, the Yukon was around 16mpg, again with the error getting greater the further you moved away from that.

Point being, do we know that the K&N ACTUALLY lost mileage, or did it only REPORT worse mileage? Just curious, as it's also on my radar for future purchase, and all of my financial justifications for the new car purchase (that I didn't really want to make) are based on 30mpg, and $3.50/gal. So if it indeed drops the measured mileage 3mpg, I'll steer clear. I'm already hoping the mileage comes up a little to that 30mpg mark that seems to be the Fuelly average mpg numbers.

BTW, here's a link to the data I've collected on the Focus so far.
2kwik4u Fuelly - Focus Page

#12 ·
With no change in driving habits, it dropped MINE. Can't say what it will do for others based on terrain, driving commute, etc. What works/doesn't work in Western PA may be the opposite in Oklahoma, for instance. I did see increases with the drop-in, so assuming all other variables remained the same, the only difference was the SRI/CAI.

Hand calcs were quite close, so I have confidence in the numbers. I'm at around 16.7K mileage wise since February when I bought the car.

#14 ·
The reason my MAF housing cracked and broke was not due to overtightening the filter, as it was with others. The "hump" hose that connects the aluminum intake tube to the MAF was VERY tight, and I applied pressure to the filter-end MAF flange with my hand while trying to fit the two pieces together. This weakend the flange, and eventually it cracked after the filter was fitted.

Since I've replaced the MAF housing (more carefully), I have had zero issues--no damage to the MAF housing and no loosening of the filter.

#16 ·
Yeah, my fuel mileage computer average mpg stays pretty close to my hand calc mpg (within .5 mpg, give or take). I have noticed that if you take your car outside of the norm of the last tank (i.e.-take a long highway trip when your last tank was all in town, etc.) that your average mpg readout will go way out of whack. I believed, during the one trip that I took, that a couple of tanks were around 5 mpg off.

As for the intake, I've seen and heard people on both sides of the mpg question. I don't know full details behind every situation, so I cannot verify in either direction. Speaking directly from the what I've seen on the graphs, I can see where the Typhoon could cause a loss in mileage. In non-RACECAR driving (below 3200 rpm), the Typhoon was showing roughly 5 hp less, with up to 8 ft lbs less tq.

#19 ·
...I can see where the Typhoon could cause a loss in mileage. In non-RACECAR driving (below 3200 rpm), the Typhoon was showing roughly 5 hp less, with up to 8 ft lbs less tq.
Is it pertinent to say that the loss you saw was between your setup with the snorkel delete+K&N drop in and not from the stock? Because everywhere I look on the net I didn't see the loss you are talking about when compared to a stock car. Or am I wrong ?

#23 ·
When someone states a mpg drop or increase, I am naturally a skeptic. Was the drop measured from just one tank, or was it an average drop after at least 3-4 tanks, compared to at least 3-4 tanks averaged prior, with identical driving habits, etc...

My primary mileage is highway (10-15% rural "city"), and my averages virtually didn't change with the intake swap. By "virtually" I mean that any small change I saw +/- were no different than how average MPG can fluctuate due to many factors.

#24 ·
I believe he said three tanks, with mainly cruise-control highway driving. After removing the Typhoon his mileage was back up within two tanks.

I had skepticism also, but I experienced the same thing with my Newmission mod. After having it on for a month or more, I still could not get over 30 mpg when my standard pre-Newmission was 32.5...

#25 ·
interesting... That almost makes me want to install the stock intake again to see what happens.

Almost.

#26 ·
It was over three tanks, almost 1000 miles of 90% highway on cruise. Frustrated the crap out of me, and within one tank I was back to where I was pre-SRI with the K&N drop-in.

Interesting that the removal of the newmission also allowed a second driver's mpg's to rise again.

Maybe the car just keeps resetting after a certain point, I don't know, but I do know that the car goes from feeling like a well-worn shoe on me and doing whatever I want to being persnickety and not responding in its usual manner, to all of a sudden being the car I love again.

ymmv.

#28 ·
Sorry, my memory fails me something fierce...[facepalm]

I'm already seeing 1.5 mpg with the removal of the Newmission by the trip computer. I'm finally back over 30 mpg, so we'll see what the whole tank yields...

Sent from my stupid phone.

#29 ·
I had no problems with it.

#30 ·
So does the drop in knn filter get better gas mileage? With out the snorkal delete and new missionn mods? Only "performance" upgrade I have is 2.25 piping flex pipe back with a magnaflow muffler "camaro" style(single in and dual out). I'm looking for an intake to work the the exhaust but keep atleast the same gas mileage or hopefully even better mileage. What intake would you guys recommend if any?

#31 ·
It really depends on your driving. The best mileage I have gotten with my commute is out of the drop-in/snorkel delete. Without the snorkel delete I only had better throttle response, and with the Newmission I lost 3 mpg. My driving is mainly city/rural as it is my work car and there are no highways/interstates in my commute.

I took the car on one long highway/interstate drive once (with Newmission installed), and while I can't confirm it it did appear as though I was getting much better mileage with the mod in those conditions.

#32 ·
Well I do maybe 14 miles round trip which is 85% on the freeway. And before I did the exhaust and also forgot the mention I added rims with slightly larger tires and I use to get roughly 39mpg driving like an old lady since the whole reason I bout the car was to "commute" and save gas, but now I get 35 so I don't know if I lost mpg because the speedo is off because of the larger tires(I know this becase of my truck). But I'm hoping with my small "commute" I can do an intake and get better mpg, or just the drop in/replacement knn. And other diy mods like new miss. And snorkal delete.

I don't wanna cut anything until I hear from others and can tell which works best for mpg. I'm not really looking for performance. I already have that a built 05 f150 prerunner and a 2011 gsxr750.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.