Focus Fanatics Forum banner

How serious have problems with your Focus been?

• Nothing wrong with it! Really pleased with my decision to buy.

Votes: 486 28.0%
  • Nothing too serious, minor work here and there. Hasn't broken the bank account yet!

Votes: 954 54.9%
  • A number of costly and/or irritating deficiences with the car. Spent a fair bit of change fixing th

Votes: 246 14.2%
  • So many problems that I will never buy a Ford again. Nearly went bankrupt due to repair shop bills!

Votes: 52 3.0%

What sorts of problems has your Focus experienced?

561K views 661 replies 483 participants last post by  SEEcoboost 
#1 ·
I'm interested to find out what percentage of members here have had problems with their Focus. It seems like all I read are stories of these vehicles breaking down and being really unreliable!

I think we all tend to focus on the negative rather than the positive, so I thought a poll might give a better idea as to what sorts of issues people are having.

#319 ·
so far after 600 miles, nothing :) I am hoping that buying the absolute latest model focus means it would have had every little bug worked out. Too bad the new '12's are having problems with the dual clutches, just the kind of thing I am trying to avoid

#321 ·
Drive it like it's stolen

I have an 01 zx3 5 spd. with 114000 miles on it . My baby runs like a rocket , but has a possible speed sensor issue, the speedo will go nuts occasionally, it then pegs out at 140 and then the car dies . I have also had to drill a broken/stuck ignition switch recently . If anyone has feedback on the speedo/dying issue, I would greatly appreciate any help...[headbang]

#325 ·
2005 ST 55k, owned/maintained since 28k

Spun rod bearing a full 90, was really a shock to see, bearing showing heavy signs of uneven wear. Put new bearing in, noise went away, but there was still another noise. Finally didn't feel like dealing with it anymore, found a guy who specializes in wrecked foci not that far from me and he installed it with the tranny as well, so all that took 40k off the car. The whole thing only cost me $1400.

Endlinks have been loud for the last 10k. Replaced last week. Much better.

Wheel bearing in the rear has been noisy for the last 5k. Replaced last week. Much quieter.

So, the way I look at this is that I originally got the car for $3k under book basically sight unseen. (Because it was still under factory warranty I'd have some recourse.) I've now put that money back into the car with the "new" engine and suspension work I recently had done. I replaced the f/r discs and put on some HPS pads all the way around a year ago.

Money spent, yeah, but still a pretty good value when you consider what it is now for "stock" focus money spent...

#326 ·
Bought '01 ZX3 with 111,000 miles. Currently, 140,000 miles.

Minor issues:

- Battery
- Brakes (F/R)
- Idler pulley
- Serpentine belt
- Dash bulbs blown
- Tune up

Typical stuff that I expected with a car with plenty of usage. After repairs, no issues. - Og

#328 ·
I like many other svt owners had the clutch fail on my 04 svt. Due to my low mile driving it did not fail until 22k miles. The dealership gave me a hard time even though there was a tsb on the clutch because they said others having this issue had the clutch fail in the first year or two and I had the car close to 4 years before mine failed. Due to my family buying most of their cars from the same dealership they ended up fixing it under extended warrentee coverage. I am pretty annoyed there was not a formal recall this problem.

#331 ·
I bought my 05 ZX3 cash out and am the only owner. At 9k miles the pressure plate blew apart and sliced and diced a bunch of crap. Sat in the shop under warranty for 3 weeks trying to order the new clutch assembly. They were on back order because other people were having the same problems. Finally they gave up and just threw an SVT clutch in.

Strarter started grinding at 50k but lasted and still cranked when I replaced it at 90k.

Reverse lights harness shorted out at some point. I finally noticed when I got ticketed, No blown bulbs just a dead harness.

Third brake light melted into a twisted clump of plastic.

Has had a slight knock when idling it WHOLE life. Ford unable to diagnose.

Blown through 3 rear torque mounts and still having problems with the bushing lasting in even the aftermarkets. Bought the MAC mount from http://www.ZXtuner.com and a week later their almost like plastic bushing are cracked, and won't hold grease and didn't even fit the transmission support bracket. Had to be shaved bout a 1/4-1/2"

Air box sprung a leak and almost put my engine into hydrolock. Some idiot mechanic never reconnected that retarded snorkel. Found leaves in my air box....wow right? Upgraded to the Steeda CAI.

I'm about to put my 3rd MAF sensor in today....WTF!!!

Lifter spring in valve 3 buckled and had to be replaced. Covered under warranty...

Rear interior panels are plastic "clips" glued to cardboard/particle board...something cheap. This southern heat made quick work of that. The glue separated. I went threw with capped of screws and mounted behind seats so caps would be covered or where panels overlapped.

The finger on the sunroof cover sliding thing broke off at like 10k.

Passenger and driver mounts went out at 56k

[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*By the way I am looking through receipts for all these repairs right now....lol

Driver control arm bushing is clunking or maybe its the hub....don't know yet.

Also have a fuel delivery problem. Fuel pump will hesitate before cranking the car. But car always cranks on the 3rd try fosho.. Thats all for now..

Since I am new to the forums. Anyone got any input on were to find better bushing inserts for the MAC torque mount. Has anyone got that clunking noise on the front end when turning and its pops when going over and change in pavements. (already have new cv axles, end links, inner/outer tie rods).

I love my whip so any help and making a newbie feel welcome would be awesome. BTW I'm not a genius but not an idiot either I have done most of my own work on all my cars inducing my V6 Camry, my 89 V6 Ranger 5speed, and my black Acura Legend 2door coupe V6 Vtec 6speed(giggitti!!!!) Thanks fellas!!!

#333 ·
I bought my 06 ZXW wagon used with 26K miles on it. Replaced the tires as the ones on the car had a really noisy, aggressive tread. Went with Michelins, 1 size up 205/55/16's. Replaced the console compartment lid under warranty. Had an interior vibration at idle....passenger motor mount took care of that. Had a wheel balance/vibration issue after installing new tires, ended up being wheel bearings. There was a sort of slower than wheel speed vibration/noise that sped up with the drive train which went away with the new wheel bearings at about 32k miles. Car has 104,000 miles on it now, the vibration is back with the new set of Michelins I just put on, actually started before. I'm thinking wheel bearings again as I drive the car pretty hard and have loaded tons of weight in it, lumber, cement, my musical equipment, pull a small utility trailer occasionally, plus California's F'd up roads. I figure something has to give. I may pay someone to do the bearings this time. Pulled the suspension apart myself last time and had them pressed in. Lots of labor, but went right back together and worked fine for 70k miles. Other than that, the car has been very dependable and my wife and I just bought a 2010 Focus sedan for her a few months ago.

#334 ·
Currently having an acceleration issue. Usually happens when I'm at a stop and the rpms are low. When I hit the gas it seems like I'm getting a misfire and the engine wants to bog down for a quick second. Was thinking it could be a lack of spark maybe? Checked fuel pressure and checked fuel rail all pans out good. cleaned the throttle body and Maf sensor.
Not really sure what the problem is.

I'll probably post this in some other section of threads but thought it could fit here.

#335 ·
where do i start ive had broken springs numerous diffrent problems with electrical system my trunks leaking it stumbles when idling and im sure theres alot im forgetting my serpentine belt came off this morning but i still love my little focus and wouldnt get rid of it for anything but a cleaner 00-04 sedan which would get all my parts put on it. not sure why but i love it more than any other car ive owned

#337 ·
Bought my baby girl her first car last weekend. It's a 2001 ZTS with 131,000. Paid $2500 for it. So far, so good. Known issues when I got it: Some oil leakage - probably a valve cover gasket job. Exhaust is a little loud - I think there may be a hole in the exhaust manifold somewhere. Also smelling exhaust. Doesn't smoke out of the pipe, though. All the alloy wheels were pretty grimey. Wouldn't clean off with soap and water, so used a metal polish and a soapy brillow pad. Cleaned up WAY nice. Antenna functional, but the lower part of the antenna just above the mount was brittle. Replaced with a short whip. Brakes feel a little different than my other cars. I noticed that the drums were very rusty on the outside - no biggie, if the inside is fine. Also the wear on the front discs seemed variable. A/C didn't work. Gave it a $34 R-134a job. Seems to be fine now - hasn't seemed to lose pressure yet. Rear pax window regulator cable was shredded beyond belief. Replacement comes in today.

All in all, I probably spent the majority of "extra" cash on cleansers and stuff. Otherwise, $58 for the power window regulator with motor, $7 for a whip antenna, and $34 for refridgerant. Also gonna replace valve cover gasket for $40. Considering spending maybe $100 for new drums, but that's on the table for later. May convert to discs, but it brakes well enough now.

#340 ·
Focus #1 (2004 bolton ZX3): Constant electrical gremlins, hydrolocked engine due to CAI + Florida rainy season, smashed clutch due to accidental downshift into 1st instead of 3rd, bent wheel, tie rod & control arm from getting run off the road onto a sidewalk at 40 mph, tore up passenger side from overshooting a turn and ending up in a hedge

Most of those were definitely my fault.

Focus #2 (2002 PWSC ZX3): No problems from Ford parts except normal wear and tear (leaky head gasket @ 115k, burnt out or weak window/sunroof motors, sagging hatch struts, dead clutch @ 100k). Some issues due to PWSC related items, mostly just with the oil filter relocation system but that has been resolved (I hope).

The 02 has been a much more solid car overall despite the strain of being boosted.

#341 ·
no power to my indicators???????

hi, can anyone help, just bought a 1999 w plate focus ghia
had it a week and now my indicators&hazards lights suddenly stopped working

checked all fuses in box in engine bay & in box at back of glove compartment and all check out ok

no idea what prob could be can anyone help please?

cheers guys

#342 ·
2001 zts

149,000.00 miles and usual maintenance performed. Same clutch,engine never been cracked open,half shafts still original. Three sets of brakes to the front, two to the rear. Frt. struts changed at 84K , three sets of new springs to the front. One driver door handle replaced, plugs and wires changed every two yrs. On a diet of Mobile One since new, compressions high on the step. She wears out rear tires like McDonald Big Macks. But overall a great race chaser. I'd buy another one in a minute. I'm going for 200,000.00 and then trade for something better.

#343 ·
FOCUS problems

2003 FOCUS Z-TEC WAGON ..SALSA RED
Have about 90,000k now and the car almost looks like new.
If you wish, PM me for pics.
As for problems, the trans. Valve Body had to be replaced at 45,000k
under warranty. The rear tires wear "CUP" excessively even after 4 wheel alignment has been performed.. NOW ON MY 5TH SET !
Other than that it has been trouble free with all belts and hoses being original from new. Will sell or trade soon................

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.