Focus Fanatics Forum banner

He Blew My Doors Off!!

23K views 77 replies 26 participants last post by  kylesvt720 
#1 ·
Tonight I went to Pageland Jefferson Drag Strip in SC. I was having traction issues all night long, I pulled my abs fuse and tried to dial in my launch. So anyways on my 3rd run I lined up beside a new Jeep Grand Cherokee, I was thinking this would be a fairly easy race to win. Nope, this jeep literally blew my doors off. I've been spinning half way down the track getting terrible times (low 10's in the 1/8). He goes and lays down a 8.17, I was a little bit embarrassed. I mean this is a 5-6 thousand pound SUV handing me my ass.

#2 ·
well jeeps are all acceleeration and if he threw it in 4 high it'd be like racing a v6 talon with awd. btw did you try dropping a few psi in the front tires for a wider footprint and what tires are you running?

#6 ·
Gotta figure in gearing ratios for trucks. That's where they're able to lay down all that power and turn it into usable torque numbers. Pray next time you run into a modified diesel pickup just running a Bullydog, Granatelli, or Hypertec flashpac. It could have 40" SuperSwampers on it, but it's still going haul ass.

BTW Killer...AWD V6 Talon???? They were AWD but also were 4 bangers- boosted and N/A.

#8 ·
i was jsut throwing that one out there. (since the jeep wasnt boosted i figued itd be the best comparison. and i know the other models. too many people try to clone them.)
if its possible that you were running 30-35 psi i'd drop it down to about 25 or so, jsut to make the fooprint wider. oh and getting an lsd wont hurt. i know that sounds low but if you remember to pump it up after the night is out i think you might be ok. but then again my only drag expereince comes from a singlecam sunturd with 13"wheels of doom,lol.

#9 ·
lol this reminds me of the constant "races"/ acceleration practice on a road with a bunch of stop lights about 100-200 meters in between one another(granted we never had the time to get up to the 55mph speed limit). When I was in my pick up, i proceeded to stomp almost everyone stop light to stop light, those 300 I6 engines have so much torque, especially mine with a new cam, exhaust, intake, bored 30 thousandths over, new fuel pump, ported intake, 3 angle valve job, ported and polished exhaust header, and a new clutch with rp oil in differential and tranny, and castrol syntec in the engine. I also had 33X12.5 mud tires on it and it still had some monster torque, i wish i would have dynoed that thing just to see what numbers i was working with.

yeah forget about racing a diesel with a bullydog module, all they have to do is get that bullydog with propane injection and they are instantly putting out like 500-600hp and who knows how much torque, but i can tell you its enough to rip stumps right out of the ground

#10 ·
Eh thoughs trucks can have all the power they want and beat me in a straight line, they still can't touch me in twistys :)

It's ALL about practice. I was really sad when i took my stock SVT at the time to our local drag strip...didn't beat one car but it was my first time actually dragging. hopefully this summer it'll be a better story!

Keep modding and practicing!

#11 ·
it had to be an srt-8 jeep grand cherokee. no 5.7 hemi that new is gonna be running any faster than a low 9 second et in the 1/8. especially in a suv that heavy.

did it look like this?

if so the reason you lost was because of this

425hp 6.1 liter hemi

#13 ·
the srt-8 ones are fast. we're talking 13 sec 1/4 mile time. Last time i was at Sonoma Race way in Cali.. a dealer showed up with one...the guy was wearing his suit and had dealer plates. He lined up and blasted off running 13 sec. He then got kicked out because he wasnt wearing a helmet....the guy just shrug his shoulders and said he didn't know it was that fast lol.

#25 · (Edited)
#27 ·
i ran a 14.9 in my 5.9 Jeep Grand Cherokee. They are fast from a dig but they suck on the highway. The newer Jeeps are faster on the highway though. It handles pretty decent too. Edmunds.com said the SRT8 Jeep did the slalom at 61.9 MPH and showed .84 g's on the skidpad.

#32 ·
All I'm going to say is no SRT Jeep better [:)][:)][:)][:)] with me... I'll hand him his ass on BOTH the curves and the straights.

#64 ·
i dont know orange,,i just watched those videos and times.that srt 8 with nos handled that viper very well,,i think in a drag he would put it to ya,,,
but i dont believe in no way it will out handle ya,

now back to the other guy.but if your going stock against stock,,i meen come on at least put the srt up against something in its same class for comparison.
i dont think anybody would be that impressed and smitten by a corvette bustin out a cobalt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.