Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Basic Bolt-ons: Intakes and Induction

262K views 289 replies 135 participants last post by  11FocusSE 
#1 · (Edited)
One of the first aftermarket parts folks like to install on their cars are aftermarket intakes. An aftermarket intake in most cases removes the stock airbox and replaces it with more of a free flowing setup. In this Topic I will go over what kind of intakes are out there and the pros and cons of each. Remember, all intakes fit both the 2.0L and the 2.3L. The only oddball is the 08-10 which only accepts the Steeda/FocusSport/AirRaid units as of yet.

NOTE: I have included links for pricing and pictures but by no means am I suggesting buying the particular product from that particular vendor. Do some shopping around, find the lowest price including shipping as that can be the deal breaker!

First off, there are two different styles of intake/induction setups. There is the shorty or short ram style and there is the cold air induction. Separately I have mentioned the "custom" intakes we have come up with.

Replacement Panel Filter:

There is no replacement panel filter for all but the 08-11 (non-PZEV) Foci due to Ford's decision to install a "maintenance free" lifetime air filter.

For the 08-11 (non-PZEV) models, K&N makes part #33-2401 which is available for around $45.99 from your local parts store.

Short ram intake:

Steeda 05-07 (note: will fit the 03-04 DTEC engines, but it is very tight against the headlight)
Steeda 08-10
AIRRAID Cold Air Dam Intake System 08-10

"Custom Short Ram"
The Custom Short Ram is built by removing the stock MAF tube, shaving off the tabs on both ends, flipping it and dremeling out the MAF sensor opening so that way it will fit in there facing the correct way, and then attaching one end to the stock throttle body boot and attaching a cone filter to the other end. It should sit right behind the driver's side headlight. If someone can find the "how-to" thread on this that would be greatly appreciated.

PROS
The benefit of this type of intake is that they are simple to install, they are fairly cheap and they give decent gains. Also, no risk of hydrolock.

CONS
These intakes can be louder then stock, for some folks this is a problem. Even though Steeda included a heat shield, they still take in ambient under hood air, which when the temps are hot can decrease power. There is a decent amount of air moving around when the vehicle is in motion however.

Cold air intakes:

Here are some of the more common cold air intakes you are likely to find.

FocusSport Cool-Flo (NOW FITS 08-11!)
K&N FIPK2
K&N Typhoon
Cosworth (discontinued)
F2 CAI
AEM CAI

"Stealth CAI"

PROS
These intakes make nice gains throughout the rpm range, mainly due to the fact that they locate the filter in an area where it can take in fresh air.

CONS
Most CAI setups use a tube which requires the stock electronics from the MAF sensor to be removed from its stock housing and then placed in the intake tube. This makes upgrading to a larger MAF impossible without buying a new intake. CAI setups also place the filter in a location where it is able to get very dirty very quickly. CAI require more frequent maintenance than short rams. CAI setups are also susceptible to water ingestion, being that the filter sits so far down near the ground.

These are not all of the intake setups for the Duratec motor, they are a group of the more common and more well known parts.

Comments, discussion, and corrections welcome!

See less See more
#239 ·
I saw this question asked earlier in this thread but I don't think it got a real solid answer.

I just read through the webpage discussing the "stealth" method, and I don't see any real explanation as to how the stock filter media is removed. The photo below shows the entire setup, but it would appear as if that you now have two filters.

#241 ·
i have had the fswerks cai for a while now and i ran into a problem about the filter getting wet in the rain. after it gets wet it idles wierd and you have a lack of power. im gonna put a sleeve on it. but i was thinking about trying to cut the pipe and put it in a different spot. i feel like where it is right now its not getting a lot of air as is. any thoughts?

#246 ·
I recommend gettin an AEM bypass filter and makin a cut just after ur maf and put it there. This way some wetness will be ok. And if u run into major water. Take off the second section and put the air filter wher ur bypass filter was and u have a temp sri till ur home. If u run into something along the lines of flood or huge puddles shut ur car off and do that step I told u. The aem filter will help save u from floodin ur engine. To make that adjustment as long as u didn't stomp the gas in it.

#247 ·
All u have to do is keep a flathead screwdriver in the car

#249 ·
Repeatedly???...ur talkin horrrid rain and huuuge puddles. Lol ive has to do it like four to five times in four yrs havin it on....

#251 ·
Apologies for reviving an old thread etc. But I've read on earlier pages (couldnt be arsed reading all 25) that installing an uprated filter/intake can make the car run 'lean'

This is a noob question, I know but I'm still learning so can any one define that for me please?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

#252 ·
I too, am a noob and just read all 25 (now 26) pages.

From what I understand, running "lean" deals with your Mass Air filter or MAS. A MAS gauges how much air is going into the engine and subsiquently adjusts the fuel injection levels to match it for optimum performance.

By understanding what the MAS does, I would assume that running lean means that the computer isnt synced properly and doesn't pump enough gas into the engine. This can be avoided by resetting the ECU (unplug the Black NEG line form the engine and leave it for 5 mins) but the better option is to get it tuned.

Correct me if I am wrong anyone.

#256 ·
I see so its pointless getting an uprated intake without a tune. Pity tunes are bloidy expensive in the uk or wherever ive loojed they are...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using FF Mobile
A sri or cai does make a difference w/o a reflash.

#258 ·
K&N with a Focus 2007

Hello Gents,

Looking to pick up a CAI next week and read through the thread completely a second time (cause im a noob). Heres my one question.

I see alot of people have gone with the K&N 2nd Gen of the 57 series. Located here: http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=57-2559&pkid=525209&rw=1

However, whenever I try to search by car, all I get is a 57i series, located here: http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=57-0595

I wanted to know firstly, will a FIPK fit into a 2007? I have the Street appearance package if that makes a difference.

Secondly, has anyone has experience with the 57i series? Thoughts?

#270 ·
Hello Gents,

Looking to pick up a CAI next week and read through the thread completely a second time (cause im a noob). Heres my one question.

I see alot of people have gone with the K&N 2nd Gen of the 57 series. Located here: http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=57-2559&pkid=525209&rw=1

However, whenever I try to search by car, all I get is a 57i series, located here: http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=57-0595

I wanted to know firstly, will a FIPK fit into a 2007? I have the Street appearance package if that makes a difference.

Secondly, has anyone has experience with the 57i series? Thoughts?
I know Im late, but the FIPK will fit up to 2007. I had one on mine. I would get any other CAI before that one, the MAF area wasnt sized correctly and your car may or may not have problems (lean code) because of it.

#259 ·
so i just got this 05 focus with the non serviceable filter (which has not yet been replaced). it has 109,000 miles and i'm having trouble on certain uphill portions of my commute. when i'm on the gas, to get up the hill, my car would have trouble maintaining the power at around 3.5 thousand rpm. sometimes, the needle on the tach would actually start to go down. i was wondering if this was an air filter problem. i figured that while i'm at it, i might as well get a cai. does that sound about right?

#261 ·
Well, I do know that the computer is constantly monitoring and adjusting the air/fuel mixture while the car is running (at least thats what it looks like when I hook up my laptop and run my odb2 software). When I installed my CAI, I noticed my MPG went up as well as power

On my G-Nex about my 05 ZX4 st

#263 ·
Just something to add to the thread...

2005 ZX4, 2.0 Duratec. 162,000 miles.

Bought the car about a year ago with 150,000 on the clock and when under the car changing out the horn, I saw the factory airbox was suspended by two bungi cords!

I had already discovered the function gauge was missing and covered over with vinyl tape!

I needed to replace that box and went with a Steeda short ram intake. It installed very easy, (never even needed to unbolt the factory box, just yanked it out) and I won't have to worry about hydro-locking, (like a CAI) and its pretty close to as maintenance free as was the factory box.

I have noticed a bit more kick and the induction noise is palpable and enjoyable. I would highly recommend the Steeda short ram to replace a problematic or worn out factory box.

#264 ·
I'm running a spyder cai and didn't know I had to cut it myself to size, so its 4 inches longer and barely fits above the splash guard. My car is lowered by 2 inches also. When it rains I just put a nylon over the air filter and it keeps the water out. Just get a knee high nylon from wal mart for 33 cents a put it over the filter to make it water proof. If you aren't sure, just go get a nylon from some chick and try to pour water through it.

On my G-Nex about my 05 ZX4 st

#265 ·
You are correct and I didn't mean to suggest that running a CAI was wrong. What I should have stated, is the SRI is more of a factory-like and maintenance-freer solution and that was what I was after. I didn't want to remove the fender liner to change a filter, as with the Dorman replacement airbox or have to worry about running over puddles or driving in heavy rain.

When I did get under the car to change out the horn, I also noticed the entire splash shield is missing as well, so I will be going to the dealer tomorrow to order that and get it installed.

#268 ·
looking for a CAI for my 09 5-speed SE. I see that CAI's are vulnerable to hydrolock. Does anyone with the same year have a CAI? I am curious as to what I should get. I am looking at the FSWerks Green Cool-Flo for the Duratec 2.0, which is obviously what I have. Trying to get a more in-depth pros vs cons before I go out and buy something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.