Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Basic Bolt-ons: Intakes and Induction

262K views 289 replies 135 participants last post by  11FocusSE 
#1 · (Edited)
One of the first aftermarket parts folks like to install on their cars are aftermarket intakes. An aftermarket intake in most cases removes the stock airbox and replaces it with more of a free flowing setup. In this Topic I will go over what kind of intakes are out there and the pros and cons of each. Remember, all intakes fit both the 2.0L and the 2.3L. The only oddball is the 08-10 which only accepts the Steeda/FocusSport/AirRaid units as of yet.

NOTE: I have included links for pricing and pictures but by no means am I suggesting buying the particular product from that particular vendor. Do some shopping around, find the lowest price including shipping as that can be the deal breaker!

First off, there are two different styles of intake/induction setups. There is the shorty or short ram style and there is the cold air induction. Separately I have mentioned the "custom" intakes we have come up with.

Replacement Panel Filter:

There is no replacement panel filter for all but the 08-11 (non-PZEV) Foci due to Ford's decision to install a "maintenance free" lifetime air filter.

For the 08-11 (non-PZEV) models, K&N makes part #33-2401 which is available for around $45.99 from your local parts store.

Short ram intake:

Steeda 05-07 (note: will fit the 03-04 DTEC engines, but it is very tight against the headlight)
Steeda 08-10
AIRRAID Cold Air Dam Intake System 08-10

"Custom Short Ram"
The Custom Short Ram is built by removing the stock MAF tube, shaving off the tabs on both ends, flipping it and dremeling out the MAF sensor opening so that way it will fit in there facing the correct way, and then attaching one end to the stock throttle body boot and attaching a cone filter to the other end. It should sit right behind the driver's side headlight. If someone can find the "how-to" thread on this that would be greatly appreciated.

PROS
The benefit of this type of intake is that they are simple to install, they are fairly cheap and they give decent gains. Also, no risk of hydrolock.

CONS
These intakes can be louder then stock, for some folks this is a problem. Even though Steeda included a heat shield, they still take in ambient under hood air, which when the temps are hot can decrease power. There is a decent amount of air moving around when the vehicle is in motion however.

Cold air intakes:

Here are some of the more common cold air intakes you are likely to find.

FocusSport Cool-Flo (NOW FITS 08-11!)
K&N FIPK2
K&N Typhoon
Cosworth (discontinued)
F2 CAI
AEM CAI

"Stealth CAI"

PROS
These intakes make nice gains throughout the rpm range, mainly due to the fact that they locate the filter in an area where it can take in fresh air.

CONS
Most CAI setups use a tube which requires the stock electronics from the MAF sensor to be removed from its stock housing and then placed in the intake tube. This makes upgrading to a larger MAF impossible without buying a new intake. CAI setups also place the filter in a location where it is able to get very dirty very quickly. CAI require more frequent maintenance than short rams. CAI setups are also susceptible to water ingestion, being that the filter sits so far down near the ground.

These are not all of the intake setups for the Duratec motor, they are a group of the more common and more well known parts.

Comments, discussion, and corrections welcome!

See less See more
#103 ·
I've driven in a no-visibility rain storm on the highway with my CAI and didn't notice a difference either.

Hydrolock seems to be a bit a mole hill that's had a mountain made from it.

Btw, there are better CAIs than the FSW...

#104 ·
Which intake>? and will this fit

Alrite im looking to get an intake and its down between the FSWERKS cool flo which i was pretty set on and that K&N FIPK 11.

I have a 2007 Focus ST and the K&N supposedly only fits up to 2005 with a 2.3L but the CFM website says it will fit 06 and 07. [unsure] Does anyone have the KN FIPK on their st? and are the gains as spectacular as they claim

The FSWERKS claims around 6 hp and the KN FIPK 11 is claiming 11 hp [???:)]

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=57-2559

#105 ·
The K&N will fit either the 2.0 or the 2.3 from '05 to '07. Some companies just don't have an accurate/complete year listing.

The FSW intake has been known to rust on the inside and outside, since it's made out of steel, and the K&N has been known to throw CELs on occasion. A few people on here have the FIPK on their ST, so maybe they'll chime in.

Open to any other intake ideas, or are you set on either of those?

#107 ·
go with Fswerks I got it for months now, just survived a storm in GA Savanna ;) and my car drives smooths like nothing happened. Today I remove it just to check it out is there any problem, nope no rust, no dust, no nothing clean as the day I bought it.

#109 ·
#112 ·
#114 · (Edited)
in a few months i will possibly be selling my f2 header and if it is absolutely necessary i will be selling my cai... not sure what all i will have to sell when i do the FI thing

the one thing i am considering is staying NA, so I may go that way since I have put the money in NA parts...

Question about clutches. Spec, Clutch Masters or Exedy. which clutch and which stage for 200 whp or less and for more than 200 whp?

#117 ·
Everytime I read CAI threads I want to bang my head on a wall.

With a CAI that was designed for the Focus you run near 0 Risk of hydro-lock unless your driving thru a foot and a half of water. Ive driven thru a hurricane with mine and it never even hiccuped. The filter for most CAI's will sit behind the drivers side FogLight. the bottom is protected by the front fender it covers the filter from road Spray.

So again unless your driving thru 1.5 feet of water don't worry. mines been on for 50k now and its never been a problem

#127 ·
That's exactly what CAI companies want you to think. But actually, water hides in tall grass on the side of the road and actually tries to hydro-lock your engine when you drive by. True story.

[;)]

#120 ·
I have a CAI on my d-tec and I bet mine sucks more then most Foci on here.....I also have the little water repelent boot on my filter which I think helps, it really repels water I tested it before I installed it. And you know a CAI is pretty basic, my CP-E that I bought used works just as good as a new one twice the price.

#122 ·
cais are fantastic. more power. i live in New England, with snow, salt, and rain year round. not an issue. hydrolock is an issue only if you submerge the thing. the FS one bends back up, so it is actually higher than the stock 'cai' location anyways.

#124 ·
Bambooburnr exactly I just drove throe storms in GA and by driving I mean floating more that driving and my car is fine ;)

#125 ·
The K&N claims up to 11hp. Never seen a dyno chart for one. FSWerks posts their dyno charts for theirs.

The K&N can cause CEL codes. It is fairly common for CEL from such a reputable manufacturer. At least on the FoFo.

#128 ·
09 stuttering

I have the K & N tornado sri on mine, recently has been stuttering,especially with the air on. did not do this with the stock air filter ?!?!? I am thinking about buying the fswerks cai. i did put auto lites 103 copper on mine and that did smooth out the idle, cheap too.... it has been really hot here in michigan, upper 90's. hate to really drop another 200 for a cai...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.